Lazy latch - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-03-2014, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Lazy latch

I am still breastfeeding my 20 month old but we have been slowly weaning due to me being pregnant. He is night weaned and down to only feeding twice a day( nap and bed). I started the weaning process like a 7 weeks ago, so we are taking it very slow. Anyhow lately his latch seems very lazy and he rests his teeth on my nipple while eating and it's very painful. This is my first time breastfeeding a toddler. My first I worked and only breastfeed her until she was 7 months old. Is this normal when they get older to just have a sloppy latch? I know my nipples are sensitive from pregnancy but it's getting unbearable with teeth clenching in on top of it. He's not biting necessarily so I don't know how to tell him to stop.
#2 of 6 Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I don't know if it is normal, but I had the same issues nursing my toddler. I started noticing teeth marks on my nipples (not painful) when she was a little less than three. Then when I got pregnant it was unbearable (and her latch seemed to get lazier). It almost felt like she was forgetting how to nurse. I did ask her to reposition herself sometimes, and would try to explain that what she was doing was bothering me, but it wasn't a great situation - she didn't seem to know what she was doing wrong and we would both get upset. We finally weaned, due to decreasing interest from her (and maybe less milk?) and excruciating pain for me. I also thought it might have to do with my breasts being engorged - so harder to latch on to.
#3 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Yea I'm sure my milks low. Sometimes we only nurse at night, I'm hoping my milk will dry up and he'll just loose interest. Same thing here it's like he forgot to nurse and he's not putting the whole nipple in his mouth.
#4 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to began weening my 25 month boy. How did you get your baby down to nursing twice a day? That's awesome! I need to get him out my bed but he wakes to feed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
I am still breastfeeding my 20 month old but we have been slowly weaning due to me being pregnant. He is night weaned and down to only feeding twice a day( nap and bed). I started the weaning process like a 7 weeks ago, so we are taking it very slow. Anyhow lately his latch seems very lazy and he rests his teeth on my nipple while eating and it's very painful. This is my first time breastfeeding a toddler. My first I worked and only breastfeed her until she was 7 months old. Is this normal when they get older to just have a sloppy latch? I know my nipples are sensitive from pregnancy but it's getting unbearable with teeth clenching in on top of it. He's not biting necessarily so I don't know how to tell him to stop.
#5 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I just cut back slowly. First I cut out the middle of the night feedings. I just told him no more milk. He cried but I would hold him and rock him and eventually he would give up. Then I cut back day feedings and just did morning , nap and before bed. Then I cut back morning.
#6 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
he rests his teeth on my nipple while eating and it's very painful. .
Painful! I would unlatch and start over. Or just use it as a way of stopping.

I hope that helps.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page