night time weaning for 12 mo baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
night time weaning for 12 mo baby

Hey everyone! Im looking to weaning my 12 months old baby girl.. Any ideas? We co sleep and she literally nurses through the night 1-2 hrs later.. N since she has a bad latch,i havent beem able to sleep since a whole year! So suggestions please! Also she literally doesnt take solids, is it normal for breastfed babies? My mom says the baby doesn't eat cuz she thinks if shed eat ill wean her.. I dont think shes that bog of a plotter, just yet!lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Many breastfeed babies don't consume much in the way of solids until 18 months or so. They may try a bit of everything but without an appreciable quantity being consumed. Night nursing between 1-5 am is actually one of the best times for baby to nurse because milk production is at its best, prolactin levels are highest in mother, which means her milk production is high. You may notice baby swallowing a lot and then being quite satiated, rolling over and going to sleep. Night time milk has the highest level of melatonin in it also, which induces sleep, daytime milk does not.
In other words, night weaning may not lead to more sleep for baby and may take away a main source of nutrition.
Are you home with baby during the day? Do you nap with her? If so, this may be a good place to gain some sleep.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

I am with her,like 24/7 but its hard for me to sleep when she does, because thats the time i want to catch up with doimg other things, also she rarely takes a nap and when she does i hace to be by uer side. Shes 14 months now and theres a lot of pressure on me from everyone Becasue she barely eats anything, though she is a healthy baby
Old 10-01-2014, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm considering night weaning my baby girl. She'll be 1 here soon. I'm thinking about it because baby #2 will be here in January, and I'm not sure how co-sleeping with two who want to nurse will go. I'm not set on anything tho. But if that's what seems right before baby #2 is here, then that is what we will do.

As far as being pressured to wean on any level, just do your best to block it out. Do what feels best for you and your child. Your comfort and peace of mind is more important then other peoples opinions.

As for not eating much food. Each person is different. My daughter eats nearly everything I do. If she sees someone eating, she wants food too. Her "baby food" days were short lived because she wanted the real thing over mush. My nephew on the other hand who is just younger then her only wants his baby food or bottle. If you try to give him something with more texture he gags or spits it out. And some other baby's I know close to their age just recently started eating foods.
Now my daughter did not eat much at one time until recently. Most days she will eat 1 or 2 "meals" like a grilled cheese sandwich cut into bite sized chunks. Other days she only wants to snack, and nurse. Before that it was just nibbles of whatever I had that she could gum (she only has 2 teeth.

I hope some of this helps.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I wanted to chime in that I did nightwean my DD before baby #2 arrived, however my DD was 17 months old when she nightweaned. At that point, I'd had at least 6 months of horrid sleep. I am glad I did because even at 2.5 she would spend half the day nursing. There is no way she would have at 12 months old. She was still nursing around the clock at that age, and never slept more than 3 hours without nursing. And I totally agree with the above posts about eating solids. She was every bit of 18 months before she ate anything significant. I remember being on vacation with family when she was 15-16 months old and everyone commenting "she's never going to eat food if she keeps that up" blah blah blah. It's tough. We want to do what is best the kiddos. Hugs
Old 10-09-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Aww thanks guys! I just feel that perhaps the most difficult part of parenting is the constant criticism and unwanted advice from every random person! Lol..hope she starts eating soon though

User Tag List