Is it appropriate for a teacher to breastfeed while at school? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

Old 07-21-2014, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
You're pre-law. Seriously, go read some statutes. If you don't know what Title IX is, you're already behind.

ADA stands for "Americans with Disabilities Act", and you should be embarrassed not to know that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HashtagBB View Post
What if I'm not talking about a college anymore? Public school students are *forced* to attend school until the age of 18. They shouldn't be subject to such extreme breastfeeding behavior if they find it offensive to their sensibilities.
Homeschooling is legal in New York and the other 49 states. If parents really don't want their kids exposed to legal breastfeeding in public places, they should keep their kids out of public places.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
You're pre-law. Seriously, go read some statutes. If you don't know what Title IX is, you're already behind.

ADA stands for "Americans with Disabilities Act", and you should be embarrassed not to know that.
I thought the Anti-Discrimination Act would be more relevant since this seems to be an issue brought to light by my professor, a noted feminist.

How are Title IX and the Americans with Disabilities Act relevant. Also, I'm pretty sure in law school we learn about cooler stuff like international law anyway. Not boring Title IX cases.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
Homeschooling is legal in New York and the other 49 states. If parents really don't want their kids exposed to legal breastfeeding in public places, they should keep their kids out of public places.
This seems like a pretty Draconian option to me. "Sorry that your culture or religion forbids exposure to breasts." Or "sorry your parents frown upon your eight-year-old child seeing a breast at such a formative age. Just keep him at home if you're not happy with that policy."

That's not a viable alternative because (a) most parents really value their kid's education and in most instances public (or private) schooling is the best place for that, (b) it is important for children to socialize with their peer group (home schooled kids are freaks), and (c) most parents lack the teaching background to homeschool their children and even if they have such a background, they would need to forego salary and career opportunities to stay at home to homeschool.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:16 PM

You're in college; you presumably know how to do research. What on earth made you think this was a good forum to post about how public breastfeeding is disgusting, children shouldn't breastfeed for "years" because of teeth, and homeschooled kids are freaks? Do you know where you are?

Old 07-21-2014, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
This seems like a pretty Draconian option to me. "Sorry that your culture or religion forbids exposure to breasts." Or "sorry your parents frown upon your eight-year-old child seeing a breast at such a formative age. Just keep him at home if you're not happy with that policy."

That's not a viable alternative because (a) most parents really value their kid's education and in most instances public (or private) schooling is the best place for that, (b) it is important for children to socialize with their peer group (home schooled kids are freaks), and (c) most parents lack the teaching background to homeschool their children and even if they have such a background, they would need to forego salary and career opportunities to stay at home to homeschool.
This is once again one of those times where adults make decisions that may not include an option they like but it is still a choice. Too bad.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
Old 07-21-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
This isn't the 1970s anymore… I can't just walk outside of class and stage a rebellion like some sort of savage.
Yes you can. News flash: It wasn't any more okay in the 1970s or any other era to walk out of class and stage a rebellion than it is now. In order to make a difference in the world many activists and grassroots organizations make waves and risk consequences for making those waves to get their point across. You could have done the same if you felt so strongly. Would you have gotten a bad grade or even possibly flunked class or gotten behind on your graduation date for doing so? Maybe gotten arrested for activism or had some other legal repercussion? Sure it's possible but you would have made your point. If it's such a big deal to you then I suggest you try exactly that next time your teacher dares to do something as outrageous as feeding her baby in public. Don't sit around and take such behavior ... walk out of class and make a stir! It'll be an experience you'll never forget.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:23 PM

Dude, forget law. You're going to suck at it. You're not even interested in the subject.

The Americans With Disabilities Act requires employers to make reasonable accommodation for employees' disabilities. There is no anti-discrimination act. Title IX is the key federal statute on gender-based discrimination. Law school is three years of detailed examination of statutes and case law. It will not all be thrilling. You may use quite specialized knowledge in professional practice, but you do not get to choose what's covered on the Bar exam. If you can't be bothered to do basic backup googling even for a late-night trolling spree, you're unlikely to ever be admitted anyway.

Also, what is WITH young people today? Have you no natural curiosity, no honest pride? Ten years ago, by God, you'd have come by with your citations in order and given us all a good time. Tedious airheads like you are giving your generation a bad name. I have two children of my own, and I'll die of shame if I don't raise them to do better trolling than this.

Take your toys and get offa the lawn.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Dude, forget law. You're going to suck at it. You're not even interested in the subject.

The Americans With Disabilities Act requires employers to make reasonable accommodation for employees' disabilities. There is no anti-discrimination act. Title IX is the key federal statute on gender-based discrimination. Law school is three years of detailed examination of statutes and case law. It will not all be thrilling. You may use quite specialized knowledge in professional practice, but you do not get to choose what's covered on the Bar exam. If you can't be bothered to do basic backup googling even for a late-night trolling spree, you're unlikely to ever be admitted anyway.
Great advice here!

You are also not doing a good job at all at making your point. If you couldn't come up with a better argument as well as evidence to back up your opinion then you have for this conversation then you'll never win a law case. You should definitely find a different degree and career path.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
I have never seen a topless woman in New York, so I would be very surprised if that were true. Even if that were the case, I think there's a difference between walking around with legally exposed breasts in public and having a baby attached to those breasts in a location where young, impressionable individuals are forcibly detained.
It is legal for a woman to be topless non-commercially in my province of Ontario. A woman named Gwen Jacobs was convicted of indecency after going topless in 1996, but won her appeal. Subsequent cases have upheld that appeal, so it is pretty legal to walk around topless. That does not mean that women walk around topless all the time--just because you can, doesn't mean you have to, just that you can.

Here's an article about the legality of toplessness in New York: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-o...b_3831583.html

Quote:
I think I do need protection from such exposure. If that weren't the case, then why are there ratings on movies? As the mother of young children, you probably don't let your kids watch X-rated films, right? My parents were very strict about PG13 and rated R films for that exact reason.
That's nice. But movie ratings are for your guidance, not for your protection. Movie theatres don't have to enforce ratings--if they felt like letting a teenager into an R-rated movie, they could, for instance. It is a voluntary system.

Actually, I don't censor what my child watches, but it's fine for parents to make rules about what their underage kids can watch. Parents don't get to make rules about whether their children are exposed to breastfeeding, though. If they don't like their kids seeing breastfeeding, or gay people getting married in a park, or bad weather, or anything totally legal they happen not to like, it's too damn bad.

Quote:
You say I am free to stop buying the product (classes) in the future, but this isn't a choice wholly of my own volition. A college degree is a barrier to entry for many jobs these days (in many cases, it's even a master's degree or a PhD). Without that diploma, I wouldn't be able to accomplish my goals.
You are not legally entitled to a job, and institutions are not legally required to help you achieve every goal you have. I know, it sucks.

Quote:
There are certain norms of decency we should expect our professors to abide by. For instance, I wouldn't want my teacher to use expletives in class. While dropping an f-bomb wouldn't be damaging to my edification in a strict sense, it would be damaging to the overall quality and repute of instruction at the university. I think the exposure of bare breasts is a similar issue.

I am not asking every professor to agree with what I have to say. I just think that this willfully political act materially affects my ability to thrive as a student. That's a problem.
Feeding a baby in public is just something any woman is allowed to do in your state when she and the baby wish. You keep asserting that your teacher is being "political" in doing it, but you're just making those motives up.

In fact, the nice thing about having a law protecting your right to breastfeed, is that you have the luxury of doing it when your baby is hungry without it being a huge political protest every time you latch them on. When I was in a coffee shop, and my son started to fuss and my milk started to let down for him, man was I ever glad that I could just feed him in peace without some random guy assuming I was making some political statement.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
Great advice here!

You are also not doing a good job at all at making your point. If you couldn't come up with a better argument as well as evidence to back up your opinion then you have for this conversation then you'll never win a law case. You should definitely find a different degree and career path.
I am going to get this site shut down when I become a lawyer. You'll see. I can't wait to win for intentional infliction of emotional distress (IIED), defamation of character, and libel. I will get an injunction a few years from now.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Also, what is WITH young people today? Have you no natural curiosity, no honest pride? Ten years ago, by God, you'd have come by with your citations in order and given us all a good time. Tedious airheads like you are giving your generation a bad name. I have two children of my own, and I'll die of shame if I don't raise them to do better trolling than this.

Take your toys and get offa the lawn.
What citations do you want? I have a lot of natural curiosity, which is why I want to study international law. What you are saying to me right now is frankly kind of insulting. You know nothing about me, and you are making a bunch of assumptions. I do very well in school and have a lot of friends, so I'm definitely not an airhead.

I said that my professor breastfeeding her child in class was inappropriate and unprofessional. How is that a harbinger of my being a future crappy lawyer?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes you can. News flash: It wasn't any more okay in the 1970s or any other era to walk out of class and stage a rebellion than it is now. In order to make a difference in the world many activists and grassroots organizations make waves and risk consequences for making those waves to get their point across. You could have done the same if you felt so strongly. Would you have gotten a bad grade or even possibly flunked class or gotten behind on your graduation date for doing so? Maybe gotten arrested for activism or had some other legal repercussion? Sure it's possible but you would have made your point. If it's such a big deal to you then I suggest you try exactly that next time your teacher dares to do something as outrageous as feeding her baby in public. Don't sit around and take such behavior ... walk out of class and make a stir! It'll be an experience you'll never forget.
You missed my point. In the 1960s and 1970s, it was common for people to stage protests. We don't really do that anymore because we are in a different era and because of police brutality. Also, I don't want to go to jail -- or worse, get a B in a class and ruin my future.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You're in college; you presumably know how to do research. What on earth made you think this was a good forum to post about how public breastfeeding is disgusting, children shouldn't breastfeed for "years" because of teeth, and homeschooled kids are freaks? Do you know where you are?
I don't expect you to agree with everything I'm saying. But one or two people did seem to think it was inappropriate to have an infant in a lecture class, so at least there are some who can see my perspective. Perhaps the dean will be similarly open-minded when I talk to him.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:53 PM

You'll never be a lawyer because you didn't know what your state's indecency statutes are, and when a question came up concerning them, you couldn't be bothered to look them up yourself.

And you're spouting off boring ass crap comparing high school to false imprisonment.

I'm so glad you have friends. Go play with them.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You'll never be a lawyer because you didn't know what your state's indecency statutes are, and when a question came up concerning them, you couldn't be bothered to look them up yourself.

And you're spouting off boring ass crap comparing high school to false imprisonment.

I'm so glad you have friends. Go play with them.
My state's indecency statutes are irrelevant because this is a PRIVATE university in a private classroom setting. And there's no case directly on point. I checked Westlaw Next and Lexis Advance.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I don't expect you to agree with everything I'm saying. But one or two people did seem to think it was inappropriate to have an infant in a lecture class, so at least there are some who can see my perspective. Perhaps the dean will be similarly open-minded when I talk to him.
I am one of the people who agrees that the infant is inappropriate in class. I still think you need to do a better job of choosing your audience. NOBODY here will agree that seeing breastfeeding in action is traumatizing to a young adult.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:00 PM

Oh my god, Hashtag, you're pre-law? Where is this? I totally missed that!

This thread has sort of become retroactively amazing, in a sort of ironic way. Like, you keep being all like, "What? This is a law in my state? I don't believe you waaaaaat how do I even look this up?"

Like, you actually asked me to find you laws about breastfeeding state-by-state, and I found them for you by googling "State Breastfeeding Laws". Your teacher was being all feministy and you didn't like that, so you literally went to a mom forum and had the moms google laws for you.

Dude.

Quote:
Also, yes, the baby itself is a minor and might be exposed to breastfeeding repeatedly -- but hopefully not for years because it will have teeth by then!
Woah. OK, here is some Baby 101: babies begin getting their teeth anywhere between 6-12 months of age. Babies are very commonly still nursing at that point! In your state of New York, for instance, an incarcerated woman can bring her baby to jail with her to breastfeed him for one year (at which point the child will likely have most of his teeth).

The World Health Organization standard for breastfeeding is 2 years. I breastfed my son until he was 2 years and 7 months old. He for sure had a full set of teeth at that point.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I am going to get this site shut down when I become a lawyer. You'll see. I can't wait to win for intentional infliction of emotional distress (IIED), defamation of character, and libel. I will get an injunction a few years from now.
Omg, this is hilarious! !!
I think we've just scarred this poor kid for life! Now wait until he sues all MDC and we'll have to pay for his therapy!

I just browsed this thread, but I had to lol at the poor boy being FORCED to look at a BOOB - every young man's nightmare.
Methinks hashtag really needs to see more of those, not less.

Ds 9 and dd 5
Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 PM

No young man on the internet should have to put up with mocking of this magnitude.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:14 PM

Well you speak with your dean and see if he agrees with you. Maybe you'll get lucky and can have the teacher fired from the school because she had the nerve to breastfeed in class. Good luck.

You make a point about the law being irrelevant because of it being a private university then you need to speak with the dean. A woman's right to breastfeed is protected anywhere she is legally allowed to be with her child. The private school can decide she can not legally have her baby at the school but they can not decide she can not legally breastfeed.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
You missed my point. In the 1960s and 1970s, it was common for people to stage protests. We don't really do that anymore because we are in a different era and because of police brutality. Also, I don't want to go to jail -- or worse, get a B in a class and ruin my future.
Yet another example of being able to make a choice. You made the choice not to leave class. That was your choice now you get to live with the consequences of that choice which in this instance happened to be seeing a baby nurse.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well you speak with your dean and see if he agrees with you. Maybe you'll get lucky and can have the teacher fired from the school because she had the nerve to breastfeed in class. Good luck.

You make a point about the law being irrelevant because of it being a private university then you need to speak with the dean. A woman's right to breastfeed is protected anywhere she is legally allowed to be with her child. The private school can decide she can not legally have her baby at the school but they can not decide she can not legally breastfeed.
I've said this before, but I don't want her fired! I just don't want to have to sit through another lecture where she is breastfeeding. It inhibits my ability to learn. As others have not-so-kindly pointed out, I have a lot of learning left to do, so every minute of productive classroom time is very precious to me.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post
No young man on the internet should have to put up with mocking of this magnitude.
Where was I mocked? You and I just happen to disagree on a fundamental issue, but I hardly think you "won." Hopefully you don't teach your children to gloat like you do and be prideful about non-victories on the internet.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post
Omg, this is hilarious! !!
I think we've just scarred this poor kid for life! Now wait until he sues all MDC and we'll have to pay for his therapy!

I just browsed this thread, but I had to lol at the poor boy being FORCED to look at a BOOB - every young man's nightmare.
Methinks hashtag really needs to see more of those, not less.
This may be news to you, but my family is very conservative. I don't see why you need to put down my culture and how I was raised. That's a huge problem I have with feminists: they like to impose their western hegemony on the rest of the world, with little regard for context, culture, or religion. It's truly appalling.

If I told my grandparents that I saw a middle-aged woman's "boob" in class, they would be mortified. And I believe the accepted vernacular is "breasts."
Old 07-21-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post
Oh my god, Hashtag, you're pre-law? Where is this? I totally missed that!

This thread has sort of become retroactively amazing, in a sort of ironic way. Like, you keep being all like, "What? This is a law in my state? I don't believe you waaaaaat how do I even look this up?"

Like, you actually asked me to find you laws about breastfeeding state-by-state, and I found them for you by googling "State Breastfeeding Laws". Your teacher was being all feministy and you didn't like that, so you literally went to a mom forum and had the moms google laws for you.

Dude.

Woah. OK, here is some Baby 101: babies begin getting their teeth anywhere between 6-12 months of age. Babies are very commonly still nursing at that point! In your state of New York, for instance, an incarcerated woman can bring her baby to jail with her to breastfeed him for one year (at which point the child will likely have most of his teeth).

The World Health Organization standard for breastfeeding is 2 years. I breastfed my son until he was 2 years and 7 months old. He for sure had a full set of teeth at that point.
I didn't know that since I'm not an expert in teething or Baby 101 generally. I just figured it would be very uncomfortable to breastfeed a child with teeth. And there's definitely an age at which doing so is no longer appropriate. For example, you wouldn't want to breastfeed your son if he were 4 or 5 years old. People would give you funny looks!

Btw, good job drinking wine while breastfeeding your child. You seem like a really responsible mother with your drunk baby.

Last edited by HashtagBB; 07-21-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

For the record, I'm not trying to take this to the United States Supreme Court. Yet.

So I don't get how this has anything to do with me being a bad lawyer or trying to win my "case." The laws of the State of New York aren't even applicable because this is a private university matter in a private setting, so the dean and school policies have jurisdiction.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
If I told my grandparents that I saw a middle-aged woman's "boob" in class, they would be mortified. And I believe the accepted vernacular is "breasts."
Your grandparents are likely familiar with middle-aged breasts. They would probably not be mortified, which means extremely embarrassed.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Your grandparents are likely familiar with middle-aged breasts. They would probably not be mortified, which means extremely embarrassed.
Or ashamed. They are very conservative and wouldn't believe that this kind of practice was taking place in a school setting.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Or ashamed. They are very conservative and wouldn't believe that this kind of practice was taking place in a school setting.
What kind of practice? I'm sure that your grandmother would be highly offended that a mother was allowed to feed her baby in front of adults in a university setting. Oh the nerve!

User Tag List