Is it appropriate for a teacher to breastfeed while at school? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

Old 08-12-2014, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/29/up...tay-.html?_r=1

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Breasts were made for both. Many people get sexual pleasure from their breasts, in addition to using htem to nurture their children. It's perfectly valid to see any part of your own body as sexual. However, men also get sexual pleasure from their nipples and can see them as sexual as well, yet they're allowed to flaunt them in a lot of places- breasts being sexual is no reason to force women to cover up or shame people for trying to feed their babies.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I love this thread. It just keeps getting better and better.
Sillysapling, thanks for the reminder and perspective.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have three thoughts on this.

1. I hope the OP gets exposed to lots and lots of public breastfeedings!

2. You mamas gave some awesome responses.

3. I'd really like to meet this teacher and shake her hand.

Okay let's make it 4. As far as children being distractions, the world is full of them in all settings, they can be found even in the most tranquil environments. So don't blame the innocent for your lack of focus. And I'm not just talking to the OP here.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is it appropriate for a techer to breastfeed while at school?

We seem to have limited information on the issue and it would not be proper to take extreme positions. We don't know what the age group of the children who watched the teacher-mom was, how did they take it, whether the teacher was in a haste or the baby too desperate, whether the school had any room or enclosure nearby where the teacher could nurse the baby, whether anyone else was also so affected as "Hashtag", etc.? Three weeks have passed since the incident and what good purpose would now be served by Hashtag to now report it to the Dean? Her "research" seems to have created much interest here though.
At any rate, if there was a better alternative, the teacher could be so advised if she really does not bother about privacy in such matters, that is. Personally, I would not have minded the incident and even feel happy that there are such brave women who care for the need of the baby more. Stop. Believe me, most of the children who watched the scene would have taken it more generously as they realize the need of the baby.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzra_hashmi@rediff View Post
We seem to have limited information on the issue and it would not be proper to take extreme positions. We don't know what the age group of the children who watched the teacher-mom was, how did they take it, whether the teacher was in a haste or the baby too desperate, whether the school had any room or enclosure nearby where the teacher could nurse the baby, whether anyone else was also so affected as "Hashtag", etc.? Three weeks have passed since the incident and what good purpose would now be served by Hashtag to now report it to the Dean? Her "research" seems to have created much interest here though.
At any rate, if there was a better alternative, the teacher could be so advised if she really does not bother about privacy in such matters, that is. Personally, I would not have minded the incident and even feel happy that there are such brave women who care for the need of the baby more. Stop. Believe me, most of the children who watched the scene would have taken it more generously as they realize the need of the baby.
I'm pretty sure it was college level and Hashtag was a guy. If any of this actually happened.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If this is even a real question, what I have to ask is why, if you are so very concerned, are you asking a whole bunch of strangers for advice, and not just talking to the person in question?

Seems a lot simpler to me.

This might end up being your most memorable course yet!

User Tag List