Feeling Heartbroken - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-08-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feeling Heartbroken

After having zero breastfeeding issues with DS, despite inverted nipples, my DD is having latch issues that is affecting my supply and causing weight gain problems.

I knew things would be more difficult from the beginning. She didn't open wide and latch onto my areola like DS did right after birth. With some considerable pain and help with nipple shields (nipple shields actually hurt my nipples more, but she was able to latch better), she can latch without them, but not perfectly. I have 'lipstick' nipples. Her mouth doesn't open that wide and her top lip doesn't 'flange' out very well.

The midwives weighed her at birth and she was 7 lb 14oz. On day 3 of life she had a WIC/lactation consultant appointment and her first Drs visit. Both appointments weighed her in at around 7 lb 1 oz. At 17 days old today, she had appointments at both locations again, and weighed in at 7lbs. She is otherwise healthy. Grew about an inch in length. Good reflexes, etc. The LC loaned me a hospital grade pump and a Medela infant scale. She advised me to pump 2-4 times a day after DD nurses and then feed her the pumped milk. I do feel like my breasts are less 'full' during the day these past few days.

The Dr. wanted to see DD back on Monday, and if she hasn't had weight gain, then formula supplement. She also mentioned that she 'likes' to have babies admitted in the local children's hospital for 2 days just to make sure they can gain weight. Since I just received my pump today, I am not sure if I can get her to have substantial weight gain over the weekend alone. I am really upset about the hospital part, and I don't know how separating me from my baby is going to help our feeding situation. I need to get a new ped like right away. I do not want to formula supplement, especially without giving pumping a chance.

I have a lot of support or people who are supporting me and believing in me. DD was on the boob all day, well when we weren't rushing around in the car or filling out paperwork etc. I had her held by someone while I pumped for the first time today. I could only get .5 oz from both breasts. A week ago I pumped a bottle with a crappy little pump and got 1 oz after nursing. I am trying so hard to to lose hope. My heart feels like it is crushed and I feel like I am failing her.

Mama to DS 2/23/2009 and DD 7/22/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-09-2014, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm sorry that you are having such a hard time with breastfeeding. It's always so frustrating when you feel like you should be an expert the second time around, and then you get a wholly unexpected problem.

Have you had your daughter evaluated for a tongue or lip tie? Here is an article about it in pdf form. http://www2.aap.org/breastfeeding/fi...Newsletter.pdf It's older, but still seems to have some useful information. A posterior tongue tie can be hard to see, from what I hear.

I would be unhappy with a hospital admission at this point. I suppose if they think your child has a metabolic disorder or some other illness else going on, it might make sense. Maybe you can ask the doctor why she believes a hospital stay with separation is medically warranted when feeding management issues haven't been ruled out, and how will a separation at this point affect breastfeeding in the long term.

Here is a link to a video on Maximizing Milk Production through pumping: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Best of luck to you!
#3 of 3 Old 08-14-2014, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry. This is always very stressful. You have to do what your instincts tell you is the best course of action. Listen to your gut. You know your baby better than scales and doctors and well intentioned others. It's very typical for breastfed babes to loose weight after they're born, and then they typically gain it back but certainly not at the rate of a formula fed baby, and that's ok. Is your baby having enough wet diapers? Not soaked mind you, but just enough to notice it's damp? Also, is your baby meeting all the other milestones? It sounds like it. My suggestion, to take or leave, is to nurse your babe on queue and for as long as they want on both sides each time if you can. Keep your babe at the breast until after you feel a let-down. Let the baby drain the breast before switching. Nurse Nurse Nurse, and then Nurse some more. Good luck, chin up. Sending good vibes your way.

Check out this link; KellyMom is terrific! http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Also, fwiw - I had milk galore - like an overly crazy full amount, but when I tried to pump - nothing ever came out. The amount of milk you get from pumping does not tell you how much milk you're making.

Last edited by Mommatotwo2; 08-14-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added pumping comment

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page