Is this normal?...growling stomach... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-11-2004, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all!
I am so glad to be here!!! My dd is 14 months and bf strong!

Lately I have been hearing my dd stomach growl or make noises in the am after bf all night. This is our routine: ddnurses for the last time before bed between 7:30-8:30 then goes to a crib for sleeping, she wakes within 3-4 hours and I take her to bed with me, sometimes I put her back in crib in the wee hours, but almost always upon waking she is with me, and she is always latchted on. Lately, when we wake, between 6 and 7 am, she wants to nurse(and I want to pee! and do numerous other things), so sometimes I stay and nurse her or nurse her within a few minutes, this is when I hear her stomach noises. I want to get up and start my day, but hearing her stomach makes me feel like I should keep nursing her. Sometimes when I do nurse her, she only stops briefly and wants to nurse up to 2 hours!

I'm thinking that her latching on before we wake is more for comfort and she is probably getting drips, so she really is hungry. When I've tried to put her down in her crib, she screams (in the early early am, like 4-5). When she sleeps with me, she is always latched on, it's like she can't sleep next me without nursing!

She nurses enough during the day, usually every 2-3 hours, sometimes as long as 4-5 hours will go by. And she drink water, some juice and has bites of food, rarely enough to count for a toddler sz meal.

Can anyone offer some advice?
Idealy, I would like to wean during the night, but hearing her empty stomach makes me think I should wean for part of the day, which justs sounds silly. Can you tell I'm confused! My nighttime weaning desires steams from her never sleeping thru the night since she was born, and after her 3-4 hour nighttime sleep, she is impossible to lure back to sleep, even dh has tried many many times. We won't cio, but we have let her fuss for up to 5 minutes. On another thread I read about giving dd a no-spill cup with a straw full of water for nighttime waking, but again, those stomach noises are getting to my guilt for something I haven't even done yet! lol

She is also a tiny gal, she is only 19lbs 8 oz at 14 months, she was 6lbs 15oz at birth and my first born, my now huge 10yr old ds was 10lbs at birth and double his weight at 3 months, so I feel she should be bigger, lol, but she is healthy!

I do have other questions/concerns/needing support for future threads, but dd needs me now, lol!
#2 of 2 Old 05-11-2004, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really like The No Cry Sleep Solution for issues like yours, the author coslept with her kids and has lots of good ideas for influencing sleep patterns.

I've also had good luck getting ds to unlatch so I can put him down by using this method, given in the NCSS and here from an article at ProMom:

'learning to delatch him became my biggest breastfeeding challenge. Because he would sleep for hours, nipple in mouth, latched on tight as a tick, I suffered from back pain and sleep loss, despite a trusty pillow wedged against my back. Then, an LLL leader told me about using my index and middle finger to "fool" him into thinking the nipple was still there. It's a neat trick, requiring a little practice. With the index finger, you relax the suction and gently ease the nipple out of the relaxed, sleeping mouth. As it's coming out, you put your middle finger under their chin to keep some of the comforting suction and pressure "in place."

BTW my ds was just that size at that age too, no worries!
HTH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page