Mothering Forum banner

Thoughts on "Un-Weaning"?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Asiago 
#1 ·
I'm due any day with baby #4 , and our youngest is currently 3.5 yo. She regrettably weaned around 18 mos, only because I had health problems that required surgery and didn't want to nurse her with all the radioactive dyes, drugs and crud they had put in my body over some weeks. Neither one of us was really ready to wean, but she was only nursing to sleep at the time, so I gave her lots of love & snuggles and thought she got through it ok.

But over the last couple years since then, she's always been fixated on my breasts, and still to this day she'll crawl onto my lap and bury her face in my cleavage, saying "Titty snuggles!" then proceed to reach into my bra and twiddle my nipple. When I ask her if she wants some "titty", she gets all excited and pulls out my breast to suckle. Even though she knows there's no milk, she just likes to put my nipple in her mouth for a couple seconds' worth of sucks, then smiles and pats my boob back into place. (does that sound weird?! lol)

Now I'm wondering what will happen when her little sis shows up, starts nursing all the time and my milk comes in! I have a feeling DD1 will be all over me, and am worried about jealousy that the new baby is nursing instead of her. What do you mamas think - would it be wiser to let DD1 nurse a little once in a while, or should I try to keep her weaned? I know DH would flip out if he knew she was even suckling once in a while at her age, let alone nursing again...so if I do, it will have to be incognito while he's not home! What would you do?

See less See more
#3 ·
I would let her nurse too. My DD was 26 months when the new baby arrived. She had mostly weaned, nursed 1x maybe every few days before the birth of DS. After we got home & she saw DS nursing she asked all.the.time. Rather than make about issue of it, I just let her nurse. & it was funny, she was all about it for the first few days & then it was kind of old news. It was also awesome in the early days to relieve oversupply (instead of suffering or pumping!).

Reactions: my3beasties
#4 ·
I don't see anything wrong with letting her try if she interested. You might be surprised. I suspect she won't actually like the taste and just knowing she can may make her not want it. Like PP said, the novelty may wear off.

Reactions: my3beasties
#5 ·
Thanks, Mamas! Baby is now 3 wks old, and just like I suspected, DD1 was really interested in BFing once my milk came in. So I let her latch on and nurse for a bit while the baby was sleeping. It seemed to give her a sense of security, and she loved the mommy-snuggle time...was really cute to see the brief look of surprise on her face when milk came out for the first time in almost 2 years! LOL She only suckled for a minute, just long enough to remember what it was like, and then she gave me a satisfied little smile and patted my boob before climbing off my lap. She asked to do it one other time, and now it seems like she's over it, and is content to just snuggle with me...just like some PP's said!

I'm really glad I did let her - it was nice to reconnect with her that way, and she seemed to feel good about it too, like I wasn't pushing her away now that the baby is here. And yes, it was also nice to help with engorgement!! ;)

Now baby is just nursing non-stop...hehe

Reactions: Xerxella
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.