Mothering Forum banner

Breastfeeding at 7 months

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  stormborn 
#1 ·
My youngest son is 7 months old and has began to feed more frequently like he was a newborn. When I raised concerns to the doctor she just replied saying that my son should be giving 3 to 4 hour breaks. Try to force a break on him. The doctor recommended feeding my son in the morning and then at night. I am wondering should I ignore the doctors advice and feed 3 meals?

P.S. I have been trying everyday to feed a bottle feed and have failed at it.I even left my son at my moms for 3 days to switch to bottle with breast milk. The kid can go on 2 meals and 6 ounces of milk the whole day and cry till my mom would call me back at midnight!

#2 ·
Unless there is some reason why you can't then the best thing to do is breastfeed your baby on demand. Sudden increases in feeding like that usually mean a growth spurt. Solid food before 1 year is just for fun and should be more about learning flavours, textures and motor skills than calories or nutrition.

As you've discovered, doctors are not generally the best people to give advice on infant nutrition and breastfeeding especially. If you have a local La Leche League or lactation consultant they will probably be a better source of help and reassurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Totally normal. Mine both nursed way more than every 4 hours at that age. IME before 10 or 12 mos. solids are mostly for fun and most of their nutrition was still coming from breastmilk. If I had to leave either one for more than a few hours they would be latched on every hour for awhile to make up for it.

#4 ·
P.S. I have been trying everyday to feed a bottle feed and have failed at it.I even left my son at my moms for 3 days to switch to bottle with breast milk. The kid can go on 2 meals and 6 ounces of milk the whole day and cry till my mom would call me back at midnight!
I don't understand this part. Are you trying to wean him from the breast to the bottle? Are you pumping? Has he ever taken a bottle before? Starting to give a baby a bottle at 7 months can be difficult. Leaving your baby at your mother's house for 3 days without access to nursing sounds traumatic.

As others said, lots of nursing at 7 months is normal, could be a growth spurt. Solids are just for fun before 1. You should offer breastmilk first and then solids because BM is the main source of complete nutrition at this age. Most 7 month olds don't eat a lot of solids. If you child wants 3 meals or some snacks, that's fine but BM comes first.

#5 ·
I even left my son at my moms for 3 days to switch to bottle with breast milk. The kid can go on 2 meals and 6 ounces of milk the whole day and cry till my mom would call me back at midnight!
Honestly, unless you are trying to wean for emergency chemotherapy or something, what you just described sounds utterly barbaric.

Seven month old babies need to be nursed on demand around the clock. No limits. Unless you're driving or pooping or showering...but I've actually managed to nurse while doing two of the three so whatever.

If you need to wean for medical reasons, let us know (if you feel comfy doing so) and maybe we can offer you direction to some resources for help. But since you said you are trying to switch to a bottle of breast milk I doubt that is the case. Pumping and bottle feeding is more work than you might need to do (although it is totally worth it if you must WOH). Why can't you just nurse the baby?

#7 ·
I thank everyone for their kind and helpful comments. However if I feel I cannot keep up with the demands of breastfeeding and would like to switch to the bottle that I should be able to without being judged. I also don't believe that health issues are the only reason one should be able to switch out of breastfeeding. I might have other family issues or need to go back to work and cannot keep up with the demands of breastfeeding with indian inlaws and activities of 2 other children. It would be helpful if he would take the bottle in times of emergencies or other situations may arise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.