New Unofficial Poll For The Name Of This Forum - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do you think the name of this forum should be changed, and if so, to what?
I think the name of this forum should be changed. 48 100.00%
I think the name of this forum should NOT be changed. 16 100.00%
I think a better name for this forum would be "The Older Nursling." 9 60.00%
I think a better name for this forum would be "Breastfeeding Beyond One Year." 19 100.00%
I think a better name for this forum would be "Sustained Breastfeeding." 4 26.67%
I think a better name for this forum would be "Sustained Nursing." 7 46.67%
I think a better name for this forum would be "Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy." 29 100.00%
I think a better name for this forum would be "Breastfeeding Beyond Two Years." 2 13.33%
I think a better name for this forum would be "Breastfeeding The Toddler." 3 20.00%
I think a better name for this forum would be "Nursing Beyond Infancy." 15 100.00%
I think a better name for this forum would be "Toddler, Pre-School, and School Age Breastfeeding." 3 20.00%
I think a better name for this forum would be "Natural Duration Breastfeeding." 8 53.33%
I think a better name for this forum would be "Toddler, Pre-School, and School Age Nursing." 2 13.33%
I think a better name for this forum would be "Seasoned Nursers." 2 13.33%
I think a better name for this forum would be "Breastfeeding The Older Nursling." 30 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 05-14-2004, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please read this thread and possibly also this thread before voting.

If you think the name of this forum should be changed, make sure you vote for "I think the name of this forum should be changed," as well as voting for the name(s) you like.

Thank you.

I thought a new poll was in order, partly because one of the most popular choices, "Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy," was not included in the previous poll.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#2 of 52 Old 05-14-2004, 10:39 PM

Thanks!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#3 of 52 Old 05-15-2004, 01:57 AM

I voted!
#4 of 52 Old 05-15-2004, 03:50 PM

Me, too (again).

I'm torn betw. names, but I settled on BF beyond infancy. I do like BF Toddler, pre-school, school age, though! In any event, something other than "extended" is in order.

Thanks SBF!
#5 of 52 Old 05-15-2004, 11:22 PM

Personally, I chose "Breastfeeding the Older Nursling" but I like many of the other choices too. I don't like the sound of "Breastfeeding/Nursing Beyond Infancy" (or "Beyond One Year") so much because it sounds kind-of limited to those who are nursing just beyond infancy (toddlers). "Breastfeeding Beyond Two Years" leaves out the 1-2yo group who need the support and encouragement more than ever. And "Breastfeeding The Toddler" leaves us (and many others) out. I think all the other choices are great. Just wanted to voice my 2-cents!

I don't know about everyone else but I will be THRILLED if the name changes to just about anything other than 'extended', as long as it is all-inclusive and doesn't leave out anyone. By the looks of the other poll, and the beginnings of this one, it's not likely that there will be one choice that gets the overwhelming majority of the votes. So I hope everyone else here is willing to take what we get even if it isn't their 1st choice. I'm so thrilled that Cynthia is considering it!
#6 of 52 Old 05-16-2004, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

I agree -- I'll be happy if "extended breastfeeding" gets replaced -- no matter what it gets replaced with.

It's funny -- I tacked on "Breastfeeding the Older Nursling" as an afterthought, and now it's the #1 choice!

Thank you to everyone who has voted so far!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#7 of 52 Old 05-16-2004, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

By the way, I don't mean to imply that I thought up "Breastfeeding the Older Nursling." It was suggested by someone else in the previous thread. I just meant it was an afterthought to add it to the poll.

#8 of 52 Old 05-16-2004, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_sunshine
I'm so thrilled that Cynthia is considering it!
She is? This is great news!

Thanks SBF for this new poll.
#9 of 52 Old 05-16-2004, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAllNatural
She is? This is great news!
Yes, Cynthia said on the Questions & Suggestions thread
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=106918
that she and Peggy will make a decision. But we need to be patient.

#10 of 52 Old 05-18-2004, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Please vote! (unless it says above that "you have already voted in this poll").

#11 of 52 Old 05-19-2004, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

I don't want my last post to be misunderstood. Please vote in this poll even if you already voted in the previous poll.

#12 of 52 Old 05-19-2004, 02:15 AM

I never visited this forum until recently.... I don't consider breastfeeding my 15 mos old as extended. KWIM? It seems normal to me to nurse until around three. I always thought extended meant like school age 4 or 5??? so it didn't include me. Breastfeeding after infancy is more descriptive of what gets talked about here.

Good poll.
#13 of 52 Old 05-20-2004, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Remember to vote for "I think the name of this forum should be changed," as well as voting for the name(s) you prefer. Even if you don't vote for one of the names, please vote "I think the name of this forum should be changed" if you're dissatisfied with the name "extended breastfeeding."

#14 of 52 Old 05-21-2004, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! "Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy" and "Breastfeeding the Older Nursling" (neither of which was in the original poll) are now tied for first place!

#15 of 52 Old 05-21-2004, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourgrtkidos
It seems normal to me to nurse until around three. I always thought extended meant like school age 4 or 5??? so it didn't include me. Breastfeeding after infancy is more descriptive of what gets talked about here.
:LOL When my dd was a toddler I didn't think nursing beyond 3 was "normal" for me either, but she proved otherwise. Nothing has been 'extended' here either, I am simply letting her decide when she's ready to wean.
#16 of 52 Old 05-22-2004, 01:38 AM

i'm for nursing beyond infancy. i feel part of the difficulties people have with nursing is the perception of the word breast. nursing is the word they use for other animals. though it refers to a medical profession which is tricky. oops, i can't win. in the end i'm getting snowed by the labels, which is why i'm still with the simple signature.

and there seems to be a big cutoff around the age of one (due to the actual toddling) for ladies who continue feeding their children. when the babies know that they are independent entities - that's when you enter an altered realm of mammahood bliss with nursing, and therefore a different forum.
#17 of 52 Old 05-23-2004, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

I know it's a problem that people have hang-ups about the word breast, but I think the way to solve that problem is to get people used to hearing the word breast, by using the word more often, not less often.

Maybe if the word breast were more accepted then breastfeeding would be more accepted, too.

#18 of 52 Old 05-23-2004, 10:33 AM

actually i agree with that as well. i'm just not that keen on any of the terms available. it is just milk, just feeding. and sometimes little feeding occurs, but there is suckling. i guess it just wasn't originally meant to be written or talked about so extensively.
#19 of 52 Old 05-23-2004, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

You're right, it shouldn't even have to be an issue at all. We should be able to just do it, without having to defend it all the time. It should just be a given. It's the most natural thing in the world!

#20 of 52 Old 05-23-2004, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBF
You're right, it shouldn't even have to be an issue at all. We should be able to just do it, without having to defend it all the time. It should just be a given. It's the most natural thing in the world!
#21 of 52 Old 05-24-2004, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

nak

you know how one of the concerns about renaming this forum 'the older nursling' was that it wasn't as conducive to being used as a verb as extended breastfeeding

and that people would therefore continue to say ebfing anyway

despite the fact that the whole point of the name change is to stop referring to what we're doing as 'extended'

well how about this

we're Breastfeeding the Older Nursling Delightfully

we're BONDing

what do you think

#22 of 52 Old 05-24-2004, 01:38 PM

I just don't like the term "older". IMO, Something like, Nursing Beyond Infancy is much more objective b/c infancy has a more concrete meaning (although it can vary) than the word older.

JMO. Cute acronym, though!! I wish we would get the name changed already!! (is there a tapping the foot smiley?)

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#23 of 52 Old 05-24-2004, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I personally voted for Sustained Breastfeeding. Doesn't look like that has a chance at this point though. Between the two front runners, I think I actually prefer Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy as being more descriptive of the forum. The only problem I have is still the lack of replacement for the phrase "I'm EBFing."

#24 of 52 Old 05-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Banned

I am just a newbie, but I am suggesting that it is made really clear the age groups you want in here. I came in because I thought it meant bf beyond the first few months and those planning to bf for a long time. I mainly came in for support for those who are super vets. I am a young Mommy and I do have two children, my eldest nursed over a year, but I thought that was extended, because where I live it's like taboo to nurse over a year. We kind of were secret nursers in the end there, and then I weaned her because I felt insecure nursing her at that age without anyone's support. My Mother even tells me to give her formula and solids. Anyhow I just needed some support and encouragement. So I am thinking I am supposed to be in the other forum. So sorry!
Anyhow I am just letting you know what I thought as a newcomer coming in for when you make your decision. I did not vote because I am not really eligible because I am not a super vet extended nurser. I was just giving some imput.

Golly I ramble don't I?
#25 of 52 Old 05-26-2004, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

I am laughing out loud at my DDDDC! I assume it was inspired by this poll (and my many posts, begging people to vote on it).

Since it will disappear after a week, I want to record it here for posterity:
It says, "Will someone PLEASE answer my poll already?!" :LOL

Whoever did it, THANK YOU!

#26 of 52 Old 05-26-2004, 03:52 PM

:LOL It wasn't me! I like it though.

Sumibee, I think you should still vote. What forum name would make it more clear to you what the forum is for? Also, don't forget to vote if you think the name should be changed, as well as marking your choice for a name.
#27 of 52 Old 05-26-2004, 06:40 PM

Where's the "shhhhhhhh" and "teeheehee" smilies...

(Now if I could only figure out who gave me my DDDDC...hmmmm.....)
#28 of 52 Old 05-26-2004, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Is that a confession? If so, THANK YOU!!

#29 of 52 Old 05-26-2004, 07:21 PM

I cannot tell a lie. You're very welcome!

Told ya I was gonna have some fun this week!
#30 of 52 Old 05-26-2004, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thank you so much! It's my first DDDDC ever!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page