Mothering Forum banner

Lactating mom with constipated baby

732 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  destcanio 
#1 ·
Help someone calling all mama's help. My sister is exclusively breastfeeding now the baby is just over 2 months old and he continues to keep getting constipated. She has changed her diet increased her water but giving him lactalose like dr's say. Is there anything else she could be doing to help him. Sometimes he doesn't go for 2 or more days. Tia for any and all suggestions and help. I told her stop giving suppositories and lactalose that maybe is body is becoming dependent on it. Idk poor baby!! Please help with advice.

#3 ·
I thought the same, two days for an EBF baby is within the norm.

"Baby is stooling within normal parameters (for your baby). Older breastfed babies (after the first 6-8 weeks) can go several days without a stool. Ten days or more is not uncommon! The long periods between stools in a baby who is obviously thriving is not a cause for concern if the baby’s abdomen remains soft, and the baby is content and alert. As long as the stool is no thicker than toothpaste when passed and profuse if several days have gone by, it’s still within the norm. Keep in mind that ANY formula or other supplemental foods given to the baby can alter the color, consistency, and frequency of the stool. More at this link on normal stools for breastfed babies."
http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/enoughmilk-older/

#5 ·
She should be sure on the definition of constipation. That is when stools are hard, pebble-like and dark. This rarely happens in a newborn EBF baby as the others have mentioned. Intervention is not normally needed. My son went at least 5 days without a poo when he was around this age and it is totally normal.

Any updates?

#6 ·
My DD used to poo on average about once a week, but when she did it was a normal (though large) bowel movement. DS was similar, though he never went much less than twice a week, so once every 3-4 days. Both my babes have been EBF.

I agree with other posters, infrequent bowel movements aren't a sign of constipation for a baby. If the poop is small, hard, dark, dry, difficult to pass - those are signs of constipation. If baby is constipated I recommend warm baths 1-2 times daily, abdominal massage, and bicycling the baby's legs to get things moving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.