Fenugreek with good milk supply? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2004, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am curious how ones body would react to Fenugreek when you have a good milk supply. My DS usually eats off one side each feeding and I have always had a good milk supply. But once we get to England I would like to pump and store my milk, as my supply is now there isn't much left over to pump, if I do pump I have to feed some of it to him at the next feeding... I just can't seem to get ahead. Anyways, would taking Fenugreek help with uping my supply while I try to get a stash going? Would it make me engorged?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2004, 06:30 PM

I'm the one that posted the "Mother's milk tea" post, and I don't know if you read it, but, basically the tea has Fenugreek in it, and it did better for me than that of the capsules of Fenugreek!!! I would think that it wouldn't hurt you. Now that I've established a good supply, I still do the tea from time to time, and I don't get engorged! But, there are some other factors...how old is your little one? (I can't remember if you said or not?!) Mine is 15 wks. old, so the situations might be different!
Hope you figure it out....it does mean so much to us (& our nurslings) to be able to keep supplying to them the way WE want to!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hi! My DS is 6 months (OMG how time flies!) and my supply is good I just want to be able to pump and not feel like I am not getting any progress with the storage, KWIM? To just pump and feed half of it to him at the next feeding isn't worth the effort. Also, he is probably gonna hit his 6 month growth spurt soon and I always feel like I don't have enough milk (eventhough I know I do) during the spurts so just to set my mind at east I thought I would try some.

I got engorged once and it sucked! I wore breast shields (not nipple shields) because my nipples were so flat and with the design of the shields my breasts were constantly draining therefor getting no engorement. I will have to pick some up and let you all know how it goes.

As for the tea... I don't like tea. Well unless there is a ton of sugar in it and that just isn't good. :LOL

I did read your post but because it was tea I thought I would ask about the capsuls. Anyways.. sorry this is so long.. I am rambleing... I will stop now.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:57 AM

please stay away from fenugreek if you have a normal/good supply.
I did exactly what you are describing and after a couple (very low) doses of fenugreek I ended up with mastitis. I wanted to have a good stash in the freezer, well I really think your milk glands need to adjust to the fact that there's more milk being produced, therefore to increase supply I recommend pumping, that way it's more "natural" and it mimics that the baby would be doing.
I had no signs of the mastitis until after 2 days of starting fenugreek, I woke up engorged (my baby had slept a little longer) with a swollen red breast, but I didn't have any chills/fever (104) until later that night.

I recommend a professional grade pump!
Old 06-03-2004, 04:25 PM

I really think that every woman's body is different in responding to just about everything! All you can do is try it out, if it works for you...GREAT!! If not, you'll know what to stay away from!! As long as nurse him, then pump when you start to feel the "fill up", then you won't have to worry about any of the scary situations. (i.e., engorgement, mastitis, etc.) :
Trust yourself, your baby, and God....it will go just fine!
Old 06-04-2004, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

I might end up getting an electric pump. I am borrowing a friends atm, but when we go to England I am suppose to give it back and I don't know if we will have the extra $200 to spend on one. I have a hand pump (Avert Isis) but I don't really care for it. I will try the Fenugreek and hopefully won't have the same issues loving_my_babies had.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:45 AM

I have a just adequate supply. It just gives him what he needs. It was great until a couple of weeks ago when I went on Wellbutrin for a few days(depression) As soon as I noticed the drop I stopped the med, but it has been a struggle since.I want to be able to have a stash and have some for my toddler, who is allergic to dairy and in light of recent soy news, off that too. Pumping is hard for me so I hope by taking Fenugreek I can speed it up some.

User Tag List