Mothering Forum banner

Natural breastfeeding post C section

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  chickabiddy 
#1 ·
I saw a link to this website and an article about natural breastfeeding on a friends Facebook page so I have been doing some research and watching videos on YouTube of moms feeding this way a lot lately. I'm 7 months along with my second and I really want to make it work with this one. I had a lot of issues with the first time around and it was pretty depressing. I had a botched cesarean and was on a lot of pain meds that made him sleepy and then of course there was the pain to deal with. I gave it a go for about two months and then switched to formula. Dont get me wrong, he's perfect and we are happy with the outcome but I've always wanted to be a breastfeeding mommy.
My question is: the natural method looks so fool-proof, has anyone on here undergone a nasty c section and been successful with natural breastfeeding? Is there more tips I can try with baby number two since it's a planned c section? Tips, tricks, advice etc?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I had a C-Section and breastfeeding was very hard for us. My son just would not do it right. I made sure to pump in the beginning to keep up the supply. I avoided bottles, formula etc. to avoud him even getting remotely comfortable with it. Eventually he started working for it. But my supply was low at some point so I added Fenugreek and after 2 weeks my supply was doing better. Still bf at 4 yrs and 6 w. pregnant.

#3 ·
You can do it! IT is harder after a c-section (and you do not have to have a c-section this time around if you choose not to).

The best thing is to find a good IBLCLC lactation consultant that will come to you. Just a heads up- sometimes the hospital staffed LC's are horrible and really do not understand breastfeeding (some give a bottle because they say you don't make enough milk) I have seen them give horrible advice and send new moms home with breast shields after 3 days of nursing.

The earliest you can get skin to skin, the better, relaxing is better and it takes around 40 days to build your supply and get your rhythm down. My sister just had her 3rd and had trouble nursing because she had so many different opinions, and she would not just stay home and nurse her baby, she was always out and about and wondering why her baby was crying.
If you can just stay home for the first month and focus on feeding the baby you have been carrying, it helps so much more. (Getting outside is great of course, but don't try to go to the mall or go shopping with a 2 week old baby if breastfeeding is not establish KWIM ;) )

Marumi has great advice too, totally avoid bottles and pacifiers because nipple confusion is real. My midwife said no bottles or paci for 4-6 weeks.

http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/newborn-concerns/c-section/

#7 ·
I do agree that the OP has the right to research and make decisions accordingly, and I sincerely hope birth and breastfeeding goes well.

Blessedwithboys acknowledged that the OP *may* need a second surgical birth. Rideswithchrist told the OP that she "does not have to have a c-section," which is reckless and irresponsible to declare without knowing her medical and obstetric history.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.