Nursing (ow!) while pregnant (ouch!) support thread - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 06-04-2004, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ow this freaking hurts!

tell me again how guilty I'd feel for weaning....

anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-04-2004, 02:51 AM

I am nursing two and I mostly think I'm ready for at least one of them to wean. I guess I wouldn't mind if they nursed once a week or something. Even worse for me than the nursing pain is that they both need to be nursed to sleep at the same time and it is murder on my hips.

I nursed through my last pregnancy and it was definitely the right thing to do but if I never experience triandem nursing that'll be ok with me too.
#3 of 9 Old 06-04-2004, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

I had two nurslings with my last pregnancy and I did wean them both, one was ready (the older girl) and one was not, and I still feel bad about it. I've decided I feel worse about weaning (and will for a looong time) than I feel about nursing thru pg with all its discomforts (which will only last a maximum of 9 months.) I don't mind tandem at all.

This time, I have much more pain than I remember from the previous times. I have a teeny bit of colostrum in one breast and nothing on the other side (he has not nursed on the right for a month or more.) I'm 21 weeks now and I expect my colostrum to come in in earnest in a month or so, so hopefully that will get him to stop *chewing* on me... not with his teeth, but the rhythm of his suck is all wrong with no swallowing and i get all mashed up.

Sigh. He's nursing at most 3x a day. I can take it. (repeat repeat repeat...)

#4 of 9 Old 06-04-2004, 03:46 AM

Last time it hurt so much to nurse on one side that for many months I only nursed on the other breast. This time that isn't really an option since both are nursing. I think my older one would wean if it weren't for the younger one nursing. I don't know if she will wean while her sister still nurses.
#5 of 9 Old 06-04-2004, 04:28 PM

Feebeeglee, after reading your post and seeing the number of names plus a soon-to-be in your sig line, this line from one of the great prophets came to mind/heart, 'Heaven lies at the feet of mothers.'

blessings, mama
#6 of 9 Old 06-04-2004, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
geez, im only like 5 1/2 weeks but its already starting to get painful. Its not so bad that I feel like I have to wean him but I'm just hoping that it doesnt get more painful, kwim? I am SO glad that I nightweaned him a few months ago or I think I'd really be complaining though. And its worse in the am, He wakes up around 545, and sees that its daytime ( He knows that we only nurse when the sun comes up) and nurses for like an hour while we doze back asleep, he then sleeps for a little bit, and then wakes up and wants to nurse again, and keeps on switching sides....it drives me crazy at this point, and we just get out of bed and get breakfast since I feel like Im going to scream.

Anyways, I keep telling myself that I'm not going to forceably wean him!!! But, if he weans by himself, I dont think I'll be too sad ( he's 27 months). I feel terribly guilty for saying this.......

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#7 of 9 Old 06-04-2004, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Parker'smommy,

A lot of my friends at LLL who have nursed through a pregnancy have said that it got better for them after the first tri. So it may not continue hurting the whole pregnancy.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  11yo dd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#8 of 9 Old 06-04-2004, 10:05 PM

I had to stop when I was 2.5 mos preggo, I was dying, pain unbelievable pain, I felt bad...BUT after Id weaned my son, and after my daughter was born, I asked him if he wanted some nurse and he said no, and he never wanted to nurse again. So I didnt feel too guilty, but I too have heard if you can make it thru the first trimester, it will be allright. Hugs to you, though! OUchy.
#9 of 9 Old 06-04-2004, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Aww, solstice

You bout made me cry. But if Heaven lies at my feet it is a pretty messy place! :LOL

My pain increases markedly in the second tri from basically none in the first, so YMMV as far as when it gets better. I owuld tend to think that if it hurts like hell in the first few weeks/months, it probably won't later in the pg. Just a theory tho...maybe the increased vascularization of the breast occurs at diferent times for different women/pgs and that could affect when it is the most painful?

This is my third pg to nurse. I kinda 'took control' early on with this one and began limiting nursing fairly early in a very gentle way, rather than gritting my teeth and bearing it. He now nurses 2 to 3 times a day for a total of perhaps 30 minutes at the breast, so I really do have it pretty easy this time. I hope that I can keep his interest through the pg and will actively seek to keep him nursing if his interest wanes. I want him to get his share of the full supply when my new milk comes in with the baby.

As far as guilt over weaning goes, I'd feel sad but not guilty if he weans on his own and both guilty and sad if I wean him.

Time for the bedtime shuffle round here, be well mamas!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page