What's your BFing age limit? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
no novels please, Just throw out a number.
I'm curious.

3yrs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:06 AM

Clarify, please.

Do you mean to nurse your own child?

Or to witness?

For *anyone* to nurse?

#3 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'll probably be done by the time I'm 42.

I'm not sure what my limit is. I was going to start pushing the issue when she turned 4, but then she quit on her own. She just asked to nurse shortly after her 5th birthday and I let her try.
#4 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:09 AM

um- i have not set a limit- when he's done....
#5 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:10 AM

by the way kellymom.com has lots of great info on extended bfing
em
#6 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

c'mon to nurse your baby. How old of a baby would you nurse 2, 4, 6, 8, 10yrs? Just share your age limit :
#7 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:12 AM

I do not think I would personally bf past 5- probally not past 4. Ds is only 12 months old so- .... I have not had to see how he is with it after he is walking even.
I really do not care to nurse him forever tho!!! HAHAHAHA! I have looked into the benifits and my response is till hes done and yes I do hope that it is before he is 5.
#8 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:13 AM

Quote:
c'mom to nurse your baby
Sorry, but lots of people *do* think that there should be one cut off for everyone.

For myself, I don't know yet. I know I haven't hit it yet (DD weaned at 50 months, has tried a few times since and is now 5). It tends to move as I get closer

#9 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:13 AM

I hope this did not come off bitchy. I do not mean to be. I just have had so many ff asking me when I will stop- or your STILL bfeeding! And he is not even 1 year old!
#10 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just honestly don't know. Never thought I would still be nursing as her 4th birthday approaches. I'm just sticking at "never say never" now.
#11 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:20 AM

ok- did I scare you away- I am sorry. I really am. I do wonder how long ds will nurse- primarily because I can not stand the thought of having people criticize me when I know what I will be doing is right! I am very nervous about that! I know how he is now and it boobs for me all the time!! Whereever!!!!
So I do not know how I will handle it. We live in a small town and I have ran into very few bfing moms. VERY FEW! So I know it will be hard to be accepted without harsh criticism!
I know I will probally shy away once he gets a bit older and try to keep it at home only- even tho I know i should not have to.....
anyhow.....
#12 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:21 AM

Before I had my DD, I swore I would only BF till 12 months. Now that I have her... I'll wean when she weans, whenever that is.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#13 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:21 AM

I"d say around 5, school age. I could not imagine nursing my 4.5 y/o ds, but he self weaned around 2.5, and my dd just weaned amonth or so ago, also at 2.5.
#14 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie
I hope this did not come off bitchy. I do not mean to be. I just have had so many ff asking me when I will stop- or your STILL bfeeding! And he is not even 1 year old!
I got that ALL THE TIME the closer DS got to one. And, then, once he hit one, they shut up. I guess I was officially a "weird-o" then, so they quit commenting. :LOL

For what it's worth, I don't really know what my cut off would be. DS self-weaned at 15.5 months and I was pretty sad about it.
#15 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:29 AM

Don't say that.... I am having such a hard time with ds getting older- if he stopped feeding it would kill me.....
#16 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:43 AM

Not sure what my limit is, but my minimum is 2 years.
#17 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 02:55 AM

six months :LOL no i'm KIDDING!!

seriously... around 4. my son is almost 4 and i can't imagine nursing a kid any more mature than he is. already he's showing awareness of sexuality and his own gender identity, and i personally think that's when breastfeeding should be cut off.

eta ~ ... and of course every kid is different. so that 4 years old for my son might be more like 5, or 3, in others.

Gidget, what if the child chooses to wean before then? would you go along with child-led weaning, or force the child to keep nursing until 2 years old?
#18 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 03:03 AM

I am not sure what age , my ds (he'll be 3 next month) will self-wean. I weaned my dd at 3 and a few months, which I regret. I would strongly discourage weaning before the age of two.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#19 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I think 5 is my cut off, dd is almost 4 now and if it were not for medical reasons I would cut her off now because I've been getting that skin crawling leave my boobs alone feeling for a long time now Of course it doesn't help that she's not a polite nurser and always seems to be beating up the boobs in some way even if accidentally which makes me have less then positive feelings about nursing her.

Seriously?
#20 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have nursed two now for as long as I could and I start freaking out right around thier second birthday. Dd #1 was 22 months and weaned quite easily when I went back to work. I had a week of training that overlapped her bedtime (her last hold out for quite some time - at least 6 months) with my second I was ready long before her but she too was nursing only at naps and night time. When my milk dried up at 26 months she quit with absolutely no fanfare. shugged her shoulders, rolled over went to sleep. In the morning she checked for milk, made a grumpy face and said "get me drink mama, no milk mama" and scowled for a few days but got over it. This one will wean very easily. I had a horrible infection and had to all but wean her instantly. it truely sucked. she is so laid back that she never batted an eyelash about it and wasn't nessecarly intrestedin starting up again. she still nurses in the morning when she wakes up but would be just as happy to get and get breakfast. the milk is gone now so I feel it is only a matter of time before she decided it isn't worht the effort.

So Judging from my experiance with my other two, I would say right around two is my personal limit for how long I can nurse my child. not that I think that there is anything wrong with going longer but with both around the same time I started getting really antsy and resentful everytime they wanted to nurse or that I couldn't get them to sleep any other way, or that they felt entitled etc. . . . go figure.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#21 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 03:19 AM

im with klothos

And Satori- "I've been getting that skin crawling leave my boobs alone feeling..." Oh boy, Me too!!! : And I know it sounds bad, cause my dd is only 21 mos.... BUT I cant help it...I get so touched out. AND dd is no gentle nurser either!!!
#22 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 03:33 AM

I' just now starting to realize I'm gonna be one of "those" mommas nursing for a long time.

Whenever it comes up, now, i just say I'm gonna nurse dd until she moves out of the house. that way, for people who disapprove, if i *only* nurse her until she's six they'll be all, "whew, at least she stopped before dd was 15!"

:nana:

:
#23 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 03:40 AM

I've always told my now 6-year-old that she can nurse until she is 99 years old. ... But mommy, you'll be dead if you plan to live to only 100. Oh, then I plan to live to be 136 years old.

Seriously, she is six and still nurses for a few seconds every once in a while. And, she proudly shows us "look ... milk" and there is really milk.

I heard that some indigenous people in this continent nursed their teenagers!
#24 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 05:22 AM

I always thought we'd self-wean 100%. But last night, as dd (almost 5 yo) was nursing, for the first time I thought about how it would feel when she started changing her teeth (I'm also nursing a teething baby). And I realized it would be very very strange to nurse through the gaps. So I thought maybe in a year or so I want her to quit. She nurses about 4 times a day, but she'd nurse much more if I let her.
#25 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget
Not sure what my limit is, but my minimum is 2 years.

Amber weaned herself at 2.5 years and even tho I felt ready, I was also sad and I missed it for a long time!

I believe in self-weaning and I hope Noah doesnt wean himself before 2yrs...
#26 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 07:54 AM

I am hoping this baby (sadly my last) will nurse for at least 3 years, I really have no idea if I would ever "cut him off", I plan to allow him to self-wean.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#27 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 08:45 AM

I used to be of the "let them self-wean" school, but now I am 20 weeks pregnant, I get thet "creepy, crawly, feeling" and my nipples are sore. I would love for dd to wean before the new baby comes, but she is no where near ready to, so we will probably tandem. However, I am setting limits and slowly, gradually cutting her back. We don't nurse at night anymore, or limit it during the day. I am hoping she will be done by 3 or so (now 28 months).

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#28 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 08:51 AM

2 Well I say that now with my 10M old. We will see what I am saying in a year, probley 3. At least 2 though!
#29 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 09:19 AM

I'd say 2.5. My two self weaned at 18 mos (too soon!..She just got up and played one morning and never looked back!) and 24 mos (just right..I was ready too)
#30 of 169 Old 06-12-2004, 09:27 AM

I was one of those 6-week mamas, which turned into 6 months, then 1 year, then 2 - now we are at 26 months and going strong. So now I am pretty much when DD wants to wean - though I cannot imagine nursing a 3YO, I also couldn't imagine nursing a 2 YO.

I am so glad we still are nursing. This winter we both caught RSV and DD had a 102+ fever for 7 days. Her ped said had she still not been nursing she would have been hospitalized. When she caught the flu she was able to keep breastmilk down.

Don't let your family pressure you. It's between you and your child. I always wonder why the heck it bothers some people so much. When MIL bugs me I say we are weaning. It's true. When DD started eating table food, she started the weaning process.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page