Advantages of extended breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2002, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing it just because it feels right, but people sometimes ask me what the advantages are of extended breastfeeding, or what the research says. I must admit I don't know! Just curious.
BTW, these friends who have asked haven't asked judgmentally but seemingly just genuinely interested.....so if I give some good solid reasons other than, "I just love to nurse!" then maybe they'll decide to do it too!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2002, 09:21 PM

Hello~

Another mom here posted this website about EBF: www.kellymom.com/ebf-benefits.html

I also bumped another thread going here about "Husband Support" by Audrey.

Hope this helps~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
Old 06-18-2002, 12:13 AM

I was going to ask the same thing! My 1st was weaned at 1 and my 2nd was weaned at 14mths. I think a lot of my family keeps thinking what is taking me so long with number 3 (16mths)and why am I still doing it. My brother even made a comment about "Oh she's going to be one of those who walks over and lifts up your shirt ". It doesn't get to me because I think my family thinks I'm "out there" already I wanted to try and go to 2 yrs, but I did wonder what exactly were the benifits of her nursing still would be?
Old 06-18-2002, 11:32 AM

I am nursing my 13 mo ds and 2 1/2 year old ds.
These are my reasons when someone asks.
1 My mom had brest cancer at 29 so saying that it reduces my risk for brest cancer is the best reason for my family. In july we are going to visit and it will be the first time i have been around family nursing two toddlers. I am going to print off an article to take with me.

2 I think of it as my toddlers' multivitamin. My boys like most toddlers seem to live some days on dirt and air and the next day only will eat crackers. Breastmilk also has as many living cells as blood so even when I am not sure about the solid foods that they eat I know that they are getting a very nutritious and germ
fighting food made just for them.

3 We like it. It is a great attitude adjuster and stress buster. When they are hurt or sad it only takes a few minutes of nursing and they are ready to go again. For my oldest sometimes it only takes me asking and he'll say okay but then just get up and play.

4 Other health reasons- lots of asthma and allergies in our families, smarter kids, great medicine for stuffy noses, sore ears, goopy eyes, cuts and scrapes (my husband never tells me whne he gets hurt at work )

5 They are sweet when they nurse together and hold hands or when one is crying the other will offer nursing to help them.

6 Bedtime/nighttime parenting. Nursing calms them down at bedtime and I can take care of thier nighttime needs by rollling over next to them.

I am sure I can think of some more maybe I'll be back,
Mallory
Old 06-18-2002, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://expage/nursingtoddlers

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 06-18-2002, 05:22 PM

I remember having trouble trying to find this information myself when my dd turned one. Heck no one in my family has ever b/f and they all expected me to quit at 6 mos.

For me, I find many benefits. The reduced risk of cancers and other diseases for myself and my daughter. The boost of immunities and nutrition she gets. Especially because when she's sick, dd doesn't eat or drink any other liquids, just nurses! It's been a lifesaver from deydration.

Thirdly, I'm a WAHM and the FIRST thing I do, besides get my ds comfortable with some activity, is sit down and nurse my dd. It's how we reconnect. My ds and I connect by talking on the way home but I can't have a conversation with dd so our rebonding is very important in this fashion. I know she looks forward to it too because she now verbally asks for it. Also, the other day she ran over to the chair where we usually nurse and sort of jumped up and down all excited with a smile on her face as I headed over there. That's one precious memory.

Even if no one else understands, my dd and I will always have the special and beneficial relationship. BTW, I think www.breastfeeding.com has some info on this too, but I can't find my link.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:18 PM

Bumping~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
Old 08-06-2003, 11:13 AM

I found the breastfeeding.com link

http://www.breastfeeding.com/cgi-bin...c;f=3;t=000300

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50

User Tag List