• 1 Post By katelove
  • 1 Post By stormborn

#1 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Breastfeeding Dad

Hi everyone,

I could really do with some advice and I feel a bit awkward asking. I am the father of a breastfeeding child. It is our second and I felt so inadequate the first time around at not being able to breastfeed our child. The truth is, I even came to resent the bond between my wife and out firstborn a little and I don't want to be left out this time around. So, I am planning on buying a wearable feeding apparatus like the one in the image available from "nurse me tender" so that I can experience what it is like to breastfeed and be that close to my new child. I am nervous about bringing this up with my partner as I am not sure how she will react and she might think it is a bit weird. I would love any advice on talking to her about this and/or any encouragement with breaking down the taboo around male breastfeeding. Thanks and I appreciate you taking the time to answer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 14.25.23.png
Views:	21
Size:	457.5 KB
ID:	50971  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Do you plan to ask your partner to pump enough extra milk to provide for the amount you want to feed or do you plan to supplement with formula? That is probably the biggest factor that jumped into my mind. I would NOT be willing to pump so my partner could do this because I find pumping excruciating and miserable. But different women have different opinions on pumping.

Good luck. I hope your wife is friendly to your request.
Nazsmum likes this.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#3 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for responding "rightkindofme". I hadn't really gotten that far - thinking about pumping. To be honest, I just assume she will be happy to pump for me so that I can experience what it is like to breastfeed and feel fulfilled as a father. I'll factor that in to my thinking though. Hmm, this is hard to explain. I think the best way I can put it is I always believed that if you believe it, you can achieve it and I believe that a man can also actually breastfeed a child and be closer to them because of it. As a wife yourself, how would you like your husband to handle that conversation? Thanks again!

#4 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Personally,

I think you should look at different ways to bond with the baby. You are never going to replicate the nursing experience with that kind of apparatus (and why would you want to, as the previous poster mentioned, your partner would have to pump). If it were me in this situation, I'm afraid I might be annoyed and aggravated and resentful. You can still spend time snuggling with the baby, taking it for walks, giving your partner a break. Cook nice meals for everyone, clean the house, look after the older child.
Nazsmum likes this.
#5 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
I agree with mumto1. This isn't breastfeeding, it's hands free bottle feeding. It won't feel anything like breastfeeding.

We have two children. Both of them were exclusively breastfed for six months and then continues to bf for another four years. Neither ever had a bottle. My husband has a very close bond with them. He held them, wore them, took them for walks, bathed them, read to them. In short, did everything for them except feeding.

I would encourage you to read about the benefits of feeding from the breast and try to see it as a great gift you are giving your child rather than something to be resented. I'd also encourage you to read about the benefits of skin-to-skin contact which is something you can do with your baby from birth :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nazsmum likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for responding Kate and Mumto1. I appreciate your advice but it seems a little too old-school for me. Cooking for the mother, minding the older one etc. seem like something from our parent's generation. I don't just want to have traditional gender roles. I want to experience the whole thing as much as possible and I really want to experience breastfeeding. I appreciate the skin-to-skin contact idea. I understand why some fathers would appreciate that kind of contact but it just seems a little weird to me. I would prefer to have my clothes on when cuddling or feeding. If I can figure out how to breastfeed I would buy a nursing bra or something that can provide discreet access for baby - especially in public. Thanks again for the help and if you know any men who have breastfed their children please ask them how they managed it! All the best.
#7 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I don't know if you are joking around.

You sound like you have some unusual issues that seem (to me) more self indulgent than supportive. Skin to skin contact is a MAJOR part of breastfeeding, it's almost like you see bfing as some kind of public performance and you are jealous at being excluded. And, there is nothing old fashioned about supporting your family. In fact I'd say it's often the reverse. The one time I can single out in my memory of time spent with dad was when he read me nightly stories, and him carrying me up to bed to read those stories. So at least I have that. My hubbys dad spent a lot of time making demands on the household, and watching sports, he was a loud bossy guy who would spend a lot of his income on himself. To me, those are two types of old school dads, but I'm quite possibly a lot older than you.
Nazsmum likes this.
#8 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumto1 View Post
more self indulgent than supportive. Skin to skin contact is a MAJOR part of breastfeeding,
katelove likes this.
#9 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post
Hi Nazismum. I don't know, do you not think it is a bit weird for a man to be naked with a kid? Seems a bit weird.
#10 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDTV View Post
Hi Nazismum. I don't know, do you not think it is a bit weird for a man to be naked with a kid? Seems a bit weird.

A couple of things. You don't have to be naked to do skin-to-skin. In fact I would suggest that most people are not. Usually the baby is wearing a nappy. And you could either unbutton your shirt or put your baby under your shirt, if the neck was low enough.

Secondly, no, I don't think it is weird for a parent to be naked in the presence of their young child. Bathing together is another lovely way to bond with your baby. And, if you can ever go to the loo unaccompanied once your child is walking then you've had more luck than I have :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nazsmum likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#11 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Did your partner pump for the first baby? Pumping is so individual.... I didn't mind at all but for a lot of women it's actually painful and at minimum a fair amount of extra work, plus giving baby a bottle early can mess up their latch and therefore make nursing at the breast difficult for Mom and baby.

I'm not trying to discourage you from asking her-you won't know unless you ask-but I do agree with the other posters that it really wouldn't be the same at all. There's so much hormonal feedback between Mom and baby during breastfeeding-it's what makes it such a powerful bonding thing- that you just couldn't replicate with a bottle in a harness.
Nazsmum likes this.

Tags
Breastfeeding , breastfeeding problems , dads , progressive

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page