My son Alex is just over 4 months. He's never been a big baby but has always gained weight steadily - until the last month or so. He's now gaining about 4 oz every two weeks, and isn't keeping up with his 'growth curve'. He's 12lbs11oz at the moment. He's generally a happy and active baby. He is mainly breastfed, though he does get one bottle of formula a day. The clinic is pushing me to start weaning, which I really do not want to do unless absolutely necessary. He isn't showing any signs of being hungry after feeds - and sleeps 8-9 hours a night and I don't want to mess with that! Anyhow, I'm going back next week to check weight and chat to a breastfeeding counsellor for advice, and in the meantime I'm going to try and feed him more often. He normally has about 5-6 breastfeeds (plus his bottle) lasting 30-45 minutes each. So anyhow, to my questions!
1. Would you be concerned about his growth? Obviously I want to make sure he is healthy, but I hate to be fixated on growth charts!
2. Do you think I could have a supply problem? He seems happy after feeds but does ssquirm a lot during feeds, usually towards the end.
3. He loves to suck his thumb, fingers, fist, etc! He will often spit me out and shove his fist in and suck happily on that - I usually wait a few minutes to see if he wants me back, but often he just seems happy with his fist so I assume he isn't hungry anymore. Do you think he might still be hungry or that somehow all his thumb/fist sucking is interfering with his wanting to feed?
4. His poo is often a green sludge. Might that be related?
5. Lately he has gone from being able to stay up happily for about 2 hours to getting really tired after about an hour. He only naps for short periods - 30-45 minutes, but he does sleep well at night. Could this be related?
6. I know having a bottle of formula a day means he isn't getting the same benefits of being fully breastfeed, but the clinic is saying that because of this I should start him on solids sooner rather than later. The guidance they follow means they support exclusive breastfeeding for up to 6 months (that's just *so* big of them) but since he gets some formula he falls into the formula fed group and should have solids earlier. If he was hungry or interested in food, I'd give it to him, but he just isn't - so do I need to?
Thanks so much if you've managed to read this far and for any advice!