When to start water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2004, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is almost 8 months. She showed an early interest in solids, but I held off and introduced a couple foods right on her 6 mo. birthday. She loves to eat - very independent feeder -and we just do solids 1x per day. Anyhow, she's really into watching, touching, and tasting water. If I put her on the kitchen floor, she makes a beeline for the dog's water bowl! Should I let her have a sippy cup of water? I'm worried that it will replace some of her nursing. My mom tells me I self-weaned at 13 months. I guess I have trouble believing a baby would make that choice, but I don't want dd to do the same. I also don't want to deprive her of something as harmless as water. Am I being way too cautious? :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2004, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can give her a sippy cup with water in it. I don't think there's any way she would choose water over your milk! She should have *some* water especially if she's having "dry" solids like cereal or biscuits... it will keep her from getting constipated.

My DD loves water, whether it's in a sippy cup, an open cup, in the bathtub, sucking on a washcloth and she still nurses just fine!

User Tag List