Need help with hunger cues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-02-2004, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will probably go post this on the BF board too, but I thought you Mamas might be able to help.

Way back in the beginning ( :LOL ) DDs hunger cues were very easy to read. She smacked her lips and mouth and I knew she was hungry. When she was done, she would turn her head away and sort of shake it at me. Very simple, no?

Well, at the ripe old age of 3 mos she changed all the signals and I cant read her anymore! She smacks her mouth all the time, puts everything in there, gums everything in site, and sucks on anything in reach. However, if I try to bf and she isnt actually hungry, she throws a fit. She cries and arches and acts really mad that I dont know what she wants already.

However, sometimes she acts really fussy when I put her on my lap preparing to bf, squirms to get away, but then she bfs contentedly for half hour.
So basically, I am trying to bf her all the time, she will nurse for a bit, or not, or for a long time. Repeat. I think we are both pretty frustrated.

What to do? If anyone could share what hunger signals their 3-6 mo old has, or if they have any exp with this, I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-03-2004, 02:01 AM

Well, I can share my own experiences. My ds is like this. He will act like he wants to nurse and if I try to latch him while sitting in the chair he will get really angry. ALot(but not all) of times he will get mad if I try to offer him the left side. In both instances he will arch his back, throw himself backwards and nearly squirm off my lap. What he likes mostly is for me to lay down with him in my bed and nurse him to sleep. Not easy when I am at home alone with him and his sister.

And I hate to admit this due to the anti paci thoughts here, but he likes to take a pacifier once in a while. He will nurse, pop off, cry nurse more, pop off cry, then refuse it. I will give him a paci to suck on then and he will roll onto his side and go to sleep. Maybe someone has something better to add for you.
#3 of 5 Old 07-03-2004, 02:05 AM

Just keep on doing what you're doing.

The breast is an easy, natural soother for your baby.

If your baby flat-out refuses it, then try other methods of calming for a little while.

If the baby cries on and off the breast and then sleeps contentedly while nursing, well, you're job's a lot easier .

Do whatever works best for the both of you. You can't go wrong.
#4 of 5 Old 07-03-2004, 10:15 AM

I used to watch the clock to a degree. If he started fussing 20 min to an hour after he'd nursed, I'd try other things first before offering the breast (i.e. walking, bouncing, swing, sling, pacifier (he loved his binky )) and if none of that soothed him, i'd offer the breast. It sounds like your little one might be teething! (Hand sucking, lip smacking). Have you tried any teething remedies? Sometimes sucking can be hard on little gums, so a nice frozen washcloth to gum, or a cool teether before trying to nurse might help!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#5 of 5 Old 07-04-2004, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! We just take it day by day over here, and hoping for the best

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page