Alcohol: Pump and dump? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-21-2004, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have a drink (say a margarita) with lunch (or dinner), do you need to pump and dump afterwards, or is the bm still OK for dc? Just curious. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-21-2004, 03:17 PM
tug

i pumped and dumped the few times i did it.
#3 of 9 Old 07-21-2004, 03:24 PM

It's perfectly fine to nurse you babe after having a drink. Alcohol goes into your milk at the same concentration it's in your blood.

I usually nurse my DD first and then have my drink, but if she asks to nurse while I'm having my drink or afterwards, that's fine too.

Basically, if you've had too much alcohol to drive safely, you should hold off on nursing the baby. This according to my aunt, who is an IBCLC.

Pumping and dumping is not ever necessary except if you're in a situation where you're not nursing your child for an extended period of time due to something in your milk, but you need to keep your supply going. Milk is continuously generated and is reabsorbed if not expressed. Once there is no alcohol in your bloodstream, there is no alcohol in your milk.
#4 of 9 Old 07-21-2004, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was a LLL leader for several years before i figured out that alcohol isn't that big of a deal while breastfeeding. if you are having a drink or two especially. it might make baby sleepy. i wouldn't do crack or hard drugs. of course i can't give you medical advice but alcohol leaves your system pretty fast. it evaporates out of your milk as i understand within a couple hours at the long end. i saw nurse your baby first or my personal favorite (i say this with humor) nurse WHILE you have your drink. that way by the time it hits your milk baby is snoozing and you might have a little time for it to wear off. hope that helps. i got my info from the breastfeeding answer book but i am sure lll.org has some more info.
#5 of 9 Old 07-21-2004, 03:28 PM

I have an occasional drink or two and I never pump and dump. My baby is fine. As long as you are not falling down drunk I believe it is OK to bf after drinking. I have bf right after having 1 drink with dinner. If you are worried wait until you put the baby down for the night and then have your drink, by the time the baby wakes up most of the alcohol will have cleared your system. I believe pumping is totally unnecessary in regards to drinking.
#6 of 9 Old 07-21-2004, 03:40 PM

I totally agree with the other posters--no need to pump and dump. I'm reading Dr. Jack Newman's _Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers_ and he gives the best explanation of alcohol being in breastmilk in the same concentration as the mother's blood that I've read so far. He explains that in most jurisdictions the legal limit for blood alcohol is .08%. A mother nursing who was legally drunk at 0.08% blood alcohol would be in essence giving her baby a drink that was 0.08% alcohol which is a fraction of the percentage of aclohol in dealcoholized beer (0.6%). So a couple of drinks occasionally is no problem, definitely not a reason to pump and dump even though many people who don't understand the physiology of alcohol and breastfeeding still recommend it.

Best,
Sarah
#7 of 9 Old 07-21-2004, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Very interesting! Thanks to all for the information.
#8 of 9 Old 07-21-2004, 04:21 PM

Just wanted to add that your body will remove alcohol from your breastmilk at the same rate it removes it from your blood...not sure if that was mentioned. So, as EVERYONE else has said (such wise Mama's ) you don't need to pump and dump.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#9 of 9 Old 07-21-2004, 04:26 PM

I would not pump and dump. I wouldn't even modify nursing over one drink.

HOWEVER, if it makes you feel more comfortable, you could mix half a bottle of 'alcohol' milk and half 'non' for later, if you normally pump. If you don't, I wouldn't bother.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page