Tandem questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-08-2004, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you teach your older child that baby has right of way? Do you allow them to nurse at the same time? What about overengorgement? Does older child help with reducing that?

DS has been very possesive but he's biting when he tries to nurse so I've been having to say no and I don't want to cut him completely off... Any help please!
#2 of 4 Old 09-08-2004, 01:50 PM

I started preparing my older DD for the arrival of the new baby as soon as I started looking pregnant. I got Dr. Sears' books, Baby on the Way, and What Baby Needs. We talked about what would happen when baby was born (as I wanted DD to be there for it) and all the changes in our lives after baby arrives. I repeatedly told her how babies have to nurse, and sometimes they nurse a lot, all day long, and that because the baby can't eat big-people food like she can, that baby would always need to nurse first. I reassured her that she'd be allowed to nurse, but if baby needs to nurse, she would have to wait her turn... but it wasn't an instant process, it took about seven months of preparation while I was pregnant for it to really sink in.

no, I don't nurse them both at the same time, unless they are both screaming and upset and I have no other option in the matter.

yes, older DD was great at relieving engorgement, but I really didn't have much problem with that like I did the first time. My body was much better at producing the right amount of milk. There were a few times I did ask her to nurse, and I even had her "help me pump" by nursing one side while I pumped with my Avent Isis on the other.

I always gently remind older DD "No biting" as she latches on, and if I feel teeth, I immediately unlatch her. But I've always done that, it's nothing new.
#3 of 4 Old 09-10-2004, 02:47 AM

I do end up nusing both at the same time..occassionally..
my toddler at his age (29 months) understands that baby comes first becuase babies don't eat big ppl food like big boys! if (Aaron) asks nicely and waits patiently then he can get Boo" (that's what he calls it)..nicely as in "please"..it also has to follow a hug and/or kiss..DS use to come up to me and just pull my shirt demanding it..taking over my breast! we had put a stop to it..if he cries..or even starts to cry we end it right away or we don't get any Boo'..it's has turned out pretty well...even though this took a good month or so..to get him to understand completely..and it amazes me how well he's taking it! every time he comes up to me and starts hugging me and pullin my face for a kiss..I know what he wants..I've also explained to him that when he asks me nicely it makes me want to nurse him..and we enjoy it as well..compared as to when he yells and screams..it doesn't make me wanna give it to him..
as far as engorement goes..I didn't experience it this time around..I'm guessing there was no time for them to ever get full! I even started to feel them getting full..as they start tingling..and baby was asleep..I would get my toddler to help out..and of course he would do it with pleasure!
As far as teeth goes..if I even feel a slight pressure..we immediately get removed and explain the no Boo' if we bite!
#4 of 4 Old 09-10-2004, 10:18 AM

I nurse mine at the same time alot. In the beginning I nursed them together almost all the time. What I do is they each have their own breast. My toddler on my right, my infant on my left. My infant will also nurse on my right side a couple times a day, but my toddler never nurses on my left. It has worked well for us for 7 months now. Nak, or I would type more.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page