How long did you wear nursing bras? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2004, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ronan's one now, and he usually only nurses once during the day. I'm thinking about ditching the nursing bras. I still usually wear one to bed, too (cosleeping/nursing all night), but it sure would be nice not to!

I have to go dig in my drawers to see what kind/size of regular bras I even have...DH will be thrilled!

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2004, 06:54 PM

Lucky you. Mine is 15 months today, and I'm still nursing. I'm wohm (since he was 1 year), but pumping at work, so the nursing bras are still better than than the regular bras for pumping access.

I started wearing nursing bras at about 6 months of pregnancy (I figured, why buy larger regular bras when I knew I'd need the nursing bras?), so I'm now coming up on 18 months of wearing nursing bras. And they look like it, too. I think it's time to buy a few more, but then I think why bother if I'm only wearing them for a few more months, but then I look at them and boy do they need to be replaced.

Anyways, I'll be curious to see what other people reply.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine is 2 1/2 and still nurses quite a lot so I wear one. It's just easier for me. I'm fairly well endowed so its just too hard to pull down or up a regular bra all the time.

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Old 09-17-2004, 09:21 PM

I've been wearing the same nursing bras for 5.5 years! Before dd was born (3/99) I bought two, and my sister gave me several nursing bras that she had used, in various sizes. I've worn a nursing bra every day ever since. (never a bra at night, tho). Some of them are darn ratty! My current nursling (born 2/02) still nurses several times a day so it's handy to have the flaps. I don't have any regular bras that are easy to lift up/aside (I'm not even sure where they are any more).

But today I gave away all my nursing shirts to my pregnant next door neighbor! I haven't worn them for several months because it's easier to just lift up my baggy shirt.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:13 PM

Only a few months until I stopped dripping like a faucet. Then I ditched bras altogether.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:01 PM

I don't remember when I stopped w/DD (who actually tandem nursed), but I do know I never wore one with DS!

As soon as I could afford new bras, I think. It was just easier for me to pull the cup down (and I have a 36D-36DD chest while nursing).

Kay

Old 09-17-2004, 11:15 PM

I didn't wear nursing bras for long. I couldn't find one that I really liked the fit of or that offered decent support although I tried many different styles. I ended up using regular bras.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:18 PM

Except for a brief period after dc #3 weaned and I thought we were all done, when I've bothered to wear a bra, it's pretty much been a nursing bra for the last 16 years. I did buy all new ones for #4, as the 15 year old ones I started with were really worn out. I don't usually wear one at home at all, and now that I never have any leaking, I often skip them when out and about. I do wear a bra under my work clothes, though.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:18 PM

About 2 weeks! I hated them. I just wore black shirts until I stopped leaking. I've never worn bras for anything but once-in-a-while decoration. I was a AA pre-dd.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:23 AM

I used them a couple of months with DS..always had trouble with the snaps..and took too long to undo while DS was very impatient..so I ditched them and started wearing my regular bras and just pulling the cup down..Much Easier!
Now with DD..didn't think once of using nursing bras..just regular or no bras at all! I'm a SAHM..so we're home most of the time! and don't really need em'..there's really not too much to support anyways...I'm a C cup while nursing..B cup when we're not!
Old 09-18-2004, 01:34 AM

Before dd was born, I went and found some lightweight cross-over-type bras lowcut enough that I could easily whip them down under my breast to nurse. Still wearing them, though in the last year I found I was once again small and floppy enough to do the same thing with my regular pre-pregnancy bras. Of course, now those are back to being tight and uncomfortable again. It's like dresses: I really miss those -- you know, the kind without buttons all the way down the front, or a neck low enough to drag your breast over the top (and then feel *really* self-conscious...).

Oye Yemaya oloto
Old 09-18-2004, 01:52 AM

Bra? What's a bra?

Actually, I have never owned a nursing bra or a nursing shirt. I just wear my regular clothes and if I wear a bra it's a little lacy thing.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:54 AM

I just have to say that I envy those of you with smaller boobs! I'm a DD now, and was a D before pregnancy. If I ever have any kind of cosmetic surgery, it'll be a breast reduction, just so I can go jogging without having my bits bouncing all around.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:56 AM

nursing only once a day, what is that like? My son is 2.5 years old and nursing all the time.

I had a couple nice nursing bras in the beginning which worked nice while at work and nursing. but once I got laid off I want to a plan wire free bra and its so much better support.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:19 AM

Never. Well, I actually tried one once with my first but thought it was much too complicated. I just pull my breast out of the top of the bra cup. My kids nurse a lot so it's easiest for me.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:54 AM

I dream of the day when I can ditch the nursing bras for a normal bra, but alas it is a wee way away yet. Even when I go for a childfree evening I have to wear the revolting things because my non-nursing bras are too small for me right now.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
after 4 yrs of nursing I have an assortment of nursing bras in various sizes. I wouldn't dream of never wearing a bra. I went from a small B to a DD in 1 month and have stretch marks at the top of my boobs. Even now at a C/D I still need the support. At night dd or DH would roll over on my boobs if I didn't have a bra. dd only nurses at moring and night so I do occasionally where a "real" bra during the day. Nursing bras give me the una-boob look. I'm afraid to buy more real bras because I think dd might wean within a year.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 09-18-2004, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'm also jealous of those of you who can go braless! My boobs are too...large and low-slung for that. And I still leak. Not nearly as bad, but it happens.

(As a side note, for anyone who's interested, by far my favorite nursing bra is Medela style 39:
http://www.birthandbaby.com/shop/cat...tegory52.shtml
it's pricey, but t-shirts actually look halfway decent over it).

I think I need some more non-underwires before I can pack away all the nursing bras, though.

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

Old 09-18-2004, 11:37 PM

When DD was about 18 months or so I ditched my nursing bras because they were ratty, ugly, boring, and just not my style. I bought some nice bras in my current size & have been happily sliding the strap down my shoulder & pulling the cup down ever since. DD was still nursing pretty regularly at the time, but I liked it a lot better than nursing bras. It hadn't occurred to me before then that I *could* actually wear a regular bra. I just assumed I needed a nursing bra. Nope. Not so. Just wish I had stopped wearing them sooner.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:10 PM

Hmmm... Ive been thinking about bra shopping lately! My favorite bra - the Medela MsMom posted - underwire broke this weekend - it was my favorite, too! Now Im thinking do I spend $40 for a nursing bra or get something else.

Unfortunatley, I am one of the few women who did not loose weight while bfing, so my pre-preg bras are too tight :
Anyway, at this point if I can get back into my pre-preg size Ill want new, fresh stuff anyway.

At 14 months Im hoping that we'll be nursing for a long time still. Ill probably end up with another Medela, mainly because I find it easier to pump while wearing a nursing bra.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:46 PM

I have a two year old and have actually bought regular bras but prefer the ease of my old nursing bras. I say "old" because they truly are showing the signs of wear and tear after two years and hundreds of wears. I think I may actually by a couple more since I have no idea how long DS will nurse.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:04 PM

My daughter is 15 months old, and I'm still wearing nursing bras. I was barely an A cup prior to pregnancy, and shot up to a C cup when my milk came in, so they're the only bra's that fit me. :LOL I have one or two stretchy "normal" bras that fit me, and honestly, it's just as easy to nurse her in them. If I end up getting pregnant soon (we're TTC #2), I guess I'll invest in some new bras (normal ones) since it means that I'll be nursing for another few years. :P
Old 09-22-2004, 11:41 PM
pln

Ds is one, and I'm still wearing them most of the time, although I no longer seem to leak at night so I don't wear a bra or wear a sleep bra at night.

I'm hoping that by Dec. or so I'll no longer have to wear one during the day either, ahtough it is a little painful to wear a reg. bra, esp. if there's a lot of milk in there...

User Tag List