Pumping - Bruised Nipples - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-23-2004, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been using the Medela Advanced PIS. Currently I'm pumping 1x/day for approx. 20 mins. I have been turning it all the way up initially for the letdown 2 mins and the first 8 or so mins after that. Then I've been turning it to "medium" for another 5 mins and back up to full blast for the last 5 mins. I have noticed that I have bruising on both nipples. Is this due to the pump? Should I not be turning it up to full blast? That's what I thought I was supposed to do... The good news is that I am able to nurse ok even though I have these bruises but obviously I want to avoid this bruising going forward...

Thanks!

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#2 of 4 Old 09-23-2004, 08:19 PM

I don't have the same pump, but in my experience, I don't need to set it too high to get the let-down. Actually I leave it below medium for this. Once my let-down kicks in, I turn it up, but only to what is comfortable and efficient.
You should not need to ever put it all the way up, it can definitely cause bruising, and I would think it's kind of uncomfortable. :
You should also check with a LC to see what they have to say.
Try pumping on a lower setting and see what happens. It can't hurt to try and if it doesn't work you can always turn it up.
Good luck, I hope the bruises go away soon.

treehugger.gifMom of one angel1.gif(12/28/02) ,one babyboy.gif(12/2/03), one babygirl.gif(12/28/05) and 2 dog2.gif and 2 cat.gif

#3 of 4 Old 09-23-2004, 08:22 PM

I used to message the breast during pumping as well (on a low setting). I would also turn it off several times just to give myself a break. After a while of pumping you tend to feel as though the life is getting sucked right out of you... :LOL
#4 of 4 Old 09-23-2004, 08:53 PM

I would also turn it down...I tried a medela electric pump in the hospital and it was great - but I couldn't even get to medium. ouch. i would think that's why you're bruising.
owie.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page