A New Thread For Mamas Who Are Doing Child Led Weaning - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-19-2004, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG Mrs. Garfunkel how could I have forgotten you!

I you all, you dear sweet mamas!

(and, I just polished off a very large bar of chocolate which might be adding to my MDCMamas infatuation right now)

My circle of IRL friends who are still bfing their 2002 babies is shrinking fast... some have moved on to 2004 babies, but I'm starting to feel like the weirdo!

MDC Mamas rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 06:52 PM

Hey, Adrienne, since I'm just about tied with mother-sunshine, I just want to say YES! YES! YES!

It's only natural to have days when you just want to, you know, SIT DOWN without your 30 to 40 lb toddler or preschooler crawling over you looking to nurse, when you long to hold a book with 2 hands, or have a hot drink...

And since I tend to self-pity in my worst moments, I'd be saying to myself, "none of the other mommies are having to go through this."

I always found that after I fretted for a few days and *maybe* raged for another, that I surrendered and the nursing jag was over.., and I could once again enjoy a variety of activities with her.

It's truly one of those things in life that does fit under the heading,"this too will pass."
Old 11-19-2004, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot
Ahem....
:LOL I was just going to post the reminder.

I agree with Joan and Darlindeliasmom, this will pass. After you asked me that question, Adrianne, I started feeling panicky trying to remember those times :LOL. I think if those times were truly lasting and life-changing I would remember them more clearly.

I know there were plenty of times when I had my fill of frustration, and like Joan, I handled it in different ways depending on all the circumstances (mood, health, level of patience, luck). We do the best we can. Even though we all have this ideal of exactly how we should always be and how things should always fall into place, we are all human and we all have our proud and not-so-proud moments. Motherhood can be extremely tiring and exhausting, even more so for us because we listen to our instincts, and I think it is our instinct to doubt ourselves and our actions at times. Especially when we live in a culture that conditions mothers to deny their instincts. We feel especially all alone sometimes...like "what is wrong with me?", yk? Oh yeah , now I'm remembering it. I remember when my last friend who was breastfeeding weaned her dd at 2yrs (when dd was 2yrs) and then I was completely on my own. I didn't have internet and I was ignorant to the "alternative" info that was out there (ie: Mothering mag). I was riding on pure instinct then (dd's and mine) and questioned what was "right" all the time.
:LOL

(please pardon me . Dd has been sick all week and is holding me hostage at home. I am going a little crazy right now NEED.....TO....GET....OUT )

But really, I know how it feels. And you're not alone Adrianne. And this will pass (even though it doesn't feel like it right now).

Old 11-19-2004, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Adrianne, I meant she's been challenging me a bit w/breastfeeding WRT being demanding. She's been like this in many ways. ITA w/everything Joan said in her post, esp.WRT seeing the big picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_sunshine
Don't worry
about a thing
cause every little thing
is gonna be alright
:LOL You're so cute Mother Sunshine!

Quote:
BTW, I like your DDDDC MamaAllNatural!
Thanks.

Quote:
Ahem....
I was going to post this too! :LOL to Joanie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot=
bad breastfeeder :LOL
: Yes, how does one define a bad breastfeeder? :LOL That's so funny.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:22 AM

I'll miss you, ladies!!

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 11-20-2004, 01:24 AM

Old 11-20-2004, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Mountain Mom!
Old 11-20-2004, 02:04 AM

Quote:

I'll miss you, ladies!!

Where ya goin' Joan?
Old 11-20-2004, 02:08 AM

I mean when MDC goes down for a few days! I will miss talking to you all

Old 11-20-2004, 02:08 AM

mountain mom
Old 11-20-2004, 02:11 AM

(we posted at the same time)

Ah! gotcha.

Glad you're not going anywhere.

I'll miss you guys too.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:11 AM

Happy Thanksgiving Michelle!

Old 11-20-2004, 02:13 AM

BTW Joan, Ellie's package came today. It made dd feel better.

ETA: Happy Thanksgiving!
(are we totally in-sinc today or what? )
Old 11-20-2004, 02:18 AM

I'm so glad she got it. She can color the leaves and put them in a sunny window

Old 11-20-2004, 02:52 AM

That's so sweet, Joan
Old 11-20-2004, 02:55 AM

Okay, so I'm a little slow today. I knew MDC was closing for an upgrade soon but I didn't realize it was tomorrow morning.

I'll miss you all.

Here's to family.

And here's to our sisterhood
Old 11-23-2004, 12:44 PM

yay, we're back! I missed you all, too! I lurked a bit on the Yahoo threads, but that was after the fact. I wasn't online at all on Saturday so I didn't get to participate in the bathroom talk :LOL
Old 11-23-2004, 12:49 PM

Missed you. too!

What bathroom talk?

Now, I am pretending MDC is still down. Must clean! :LOL

Old 11-23-2004, 04:18 PM

Wow, that was actually a lot shorter of a break than I expected. I'm in the middle of getting the house ready for MIL this week, and I just caught dd's cold . And dd just caught what seems to be Part II of this nasty cold. Ugh.

Anyway, I missed the potty talk too. :LOL
Old 11-23-2004, 04:36 PM

Bathroom.... : ...I must remember to turn the heater in my bathroom on ... it was waaay too cold in there this morning ...

Speaking of cleaning...we got a 7 foot long cabinet w/ bookcases on top from my parents, who are remodeling their kitchen. Earlier I was sitting on the floor putting stuff into the cabinet and rearranging the stuff I already put in and just happened to notice that Haley was nursing as I was doing all this. I didn't even notice her latch on, or the fact that I was (automatically) working around her! I suppose after (almost) 6 years of continuous nursing... :LOL

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

Old 11-26-2004, 01:45 PM

Hey, y'all. Somehow I stopped getting the email notifications ... but I'm glad to see this thread is still active!

I'm starting to prepare for our second child's arrival, and I need help with a couple things. So I posted in the EBf forum a question about how y'all nurse a newborn outdoors without getting cold. Getting outside is really important for everyone in the family, so I know I'll be doing it from a pretty early age with the baby, but I have trouble keeping warm even without unzipping my jacket. So I posted this thread and would appreciate your input!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?p=2319263

Thanks so much!

Regarding CLW, I had a weaning "scare" a couple of months ago where my son (3.5 y.o.) actually asked to snuggle instead of nursing to sleep (an alternative I have NEVER offered him!), and then refused to nurse back to sleep when he awoke at night, asking to snuggle again. Now that he's sleeping through the night, he's only nursing once/day, usually, and that's to go to sleep. That's fine with me, but a sudden weaning was more than I could bear! I worried about his health through the flu season (immunity and nutrients) and the sibling transition, but honestly it was just a huge change for me! I figured it'd happen gradually. And now he's still nursing once/day, usually, so I've calmed down!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:32 PM

I'm wondering if ds has done a "sudden weaning"? He hasn't nursed since the weekend - I can't even remember if it was Saturday or Sunday because it didn't occur to me that it might be "the last time". Today is Friday... The weekend was 2 1/2 weeks after his 5th birthday and up until his b'day he was nursing every night with an occasional skipped night. On the weekend we were snuggled up in our reading chair when he asked to nurse - he hadn't done that in ages, then he nursed at bedtime and that was it (to date). I am so torn. We've never even talked about weaning, its just something he has been gradually doing. Should it remain "unspoken"? Should we talk about it?

In re-reading my post, I did have to laugh a little - how many people can ask if their 5yo has done a "sudden weaning"?
Old 12-10-2004, 12:51 PM

callmemama This could be another step in his weaning, which, as you say, has been gradual. Do you want to talk about it? I probably would, even just to comment about it. What do you think? Of course, there is nothing wrong with it being unspoken, but, it is such an important relationship that words may help you both through it. Many 's You are a wonderful mama!

Old 12-10-2004, 05:46 PM

callmemama, Every child is different, so he may have weaned himself or he may just be taking a break. My dd would take week-long breaks toward the end of her weaning, I would think she'd be done, then she would want to nurse again. But that's my child, every child is unique.

I personally would talk to my dd about it, not with pressure or sadness, but just to communicate. You should do what is right for you and your ds.

Old 12-10-2004, 07:58 PM

Thanks you two! We actually talked about it a little while ago. He was in a happy, chatty, snuggly mood, so I mentioned that I realized he hadn't nursed in almost a week. He smiled real big and said "I know!". Then I told him that little children that get to nurse always stop sometime. He said "I'm not stopping!". So I said that's fine, but all little children do eventually. His reply? "Well, I might not!". So whether he really has weaned or just taken a break, "the talk" was priceless!
Old 12-10-2004, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemama
He said "I'm not stopping!". So I said that's fine, but all little children do eventually. His reply? "Well, I might not!".
:LOL Too cute!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:29 PM

I'm so happy for you!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemama
Thanks you two! We actually talked about it a little while ago. He was in a happy, chatty, snuggly mood, so I mentioned that I realized he hadn't nursed in almost a week. He smiled real big and said "I know!". Then I told him that little children that get to nurse always stop sometime. He said "I'm not stopping!". So I said that's fine, but all little children do eventually. His reply? "Well, I might not!". So whether he really has weaned or just taken a break, "the talk" was priceless!

That is priceless.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:33 PM

How precious!

Speaking of weaning...my "weaner" and I were talking the other day about how his 6th birthday is swiftly approaching (the 22nd) and that on that day it will have been a year since he weaned. He can't believe it was *that* long ago ... and asked me if he remembered that he's going to "re-nurse" when he's six (he said that for a few weeks starting a few months after he weaned - I didn't even know he remembered!). Our conversation got interrupted by his little sister falling off the ladder to the bunk bed, so....I'm now wondering if he was just asking if I remembered, or if that's his plan!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

Old 12-11-2004, 02:00 PM

Hi all,
I'm on mdc so little these days, but I am so greatful to be able to check in here. I remeber when I was a teenager and my older sister was nursing my four year old niece - I thought "that's a bit much" Even though my own mother clw'd me (I was around six when I quit completely)!
My ds is 23 months and nursing strong.
I am also greatful that my dh, who asked when I was pregnant "shouldn't we keep some formula in the diaper bag, in case we ever need it?" and "I think you should probably nurse till about 1 year." Is fully supportive of ds nursing till he's ready to stop. He "preaches to all his friends AND their wives why nursing is so important, and is ready to let anyone have it who might approach us negativly about nip!!
Life is wonderful when you just let nature do it's work, and I feel so blessed to be a part of this group!
Sorry I just got a bit sappy from reading all your posts and thinking about some friend's kids who don't have the option of clw:
One friend is trying to wean her 2 year-old and told him he was a "being a baby" the other day when he wanted to nurse - I felt so sad for him!
Keep up the good work mamas!!!

-Sara, working Mom to Fletcher (2003) and Magnolia (2008):, wife to Jim the best SAHD in the world (1999) NVC has changed my life

User Tag List