Cold or Teething? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-12-2004, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let me just say this is probably a stupid question, but I am so tired I need some imput.

My DS had a low-grade fever Saturday afternoon thru Monday off & on. We took him into the doctor and they didn't find anything other then a little congestion probably from a cold. No ear infections, fortunately. But, DS has been extremely cranky this whole time. We stayed home yesterday, but I had to come back to work today and so he went to day care. Well, I went for lunch to nurse him & they said he had refused to take his EBM bottle all morning. That means he didn't eat from about 7:30 till I got there at Noon. He also didn't nurse very well with me. He ate some from one side and then would not take the other. He's also been fighting me the last day or two to feel or look inside his mouth to see if he's teething. (When I have been able to, I don't feel anything)

Sooo....the question to this story is - Do you think he's just not eating because he doesn't feel good or should I worry? Or is it a little to early to worry? DH says not to worry and will fill him up tonight. Any thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-12-2004, 05:42 PM

When dd drools people say, "oh, she's teething." She pulls at her ear: "teething." When she fusses, "I bet someone's teehing!" Well she's been doing all these things for much of her life. Sure she might be teething, but I'm not holding my breath. And its not like its an illness if she is; its not like she's getting her wisdom teeth. (I am though )

Even if he is teething, you won't feel the tooth. When you do find a tooth, the symptoms of teething should be over. I think. A low grade fever by itself isn't usually a concern, but loss of appitite is. That's usually something my pediatrician's office has me watch for... its never happened, the little piggy.

Anyway, he sounds uncomfortable so you should get to the bottom of it. Maybe he's fighting a little infection and will feel better in a couple days. I would assume its something beyond teething, personally.

julie
#3 of 5 Old 10-12-2004, 11:50 PM

Your baby is 7 mos? she is teething! Mine all were in agony for months with teething. It was bloody hell.

Try hylands teethig tablets. Let her suck on a cold or frozen washcloth beofre a feed to numb her gums a little.

I had to resort to baby Motrin myself, some nights. Those teeth hurt them more than the wisdom teeth they are getting now!

Read this now:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/teething.html

Sorry to disagree with you, awnja.
#4 of 5 Old 10-13-2004, 10:21 AM

no problem... MINE has no teeth(dispite the fact that so many older ladies have seen the drool and insisted she was teething... can't argue with some folks -even about your own baby, I tell you! T ), so anyway you are a much better resourse.

#5 of 5 Old 10-14-2004, 10:54 AM

could be a little of both... i agree that signs of teething can happen long before the tooth. my baby just had a cold that dragged on for two weeks. she was spunky most of that time and ate constantly - way more than her usual - very, very moody and clingy. i started wondering if it was the cold, if she was teething, if it was a growth spurt.... we went to the doc and she was declared healthy. the next day her little baby voice is super hoarse. i realized that during her two weeks of mostly mild cold she probably had a very sore throat that contributed to her major clingy-ness, moodiness, etc during that time. often, when i'm sick i'll have a really painful sore throat for a couple of days. after the pain passes and i'm ok i'll turn up with a husky voice - she must of gotten this from me.

so it's possible your baby has some pain where you can't see it and that isn't teething-related. throat, gas, headache... tylenol might be of help if you use that - bring some relief wherever the pain is.

hope he's feeling better now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page