How Long Do The Amish Breastfeed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 10-14-2004, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know why but I've been wondering about this lately. I tried to google it and came up with nothing.

Does anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 51 Old 10-14-2004, 06:19 AM

I don't think it's really a set in stone thing?

My friend Marian nursed all 5 of her kids, for anywhere from 1-4 years .. But her sister used formula.
#3 of 51 Old 10-14-2004, 03:01 PM

#4 of 51 Old 10-14-2004, 03:22 PM

Interesting question.

Katina, Mom to Nathan 12/6/00 and Zachary 8/10/03
Rachel born still 9-19-09
#5 of 51 Old 10-15-2004, 05:51 PM

I have wondered this myself. I can't believe they could use formula in good conscience. That seems odd to me. I mean don't they avoid technological things? Formula is produced on machinery and you would have to go buy plastic bottles to feed with wouldn't you?
#6 of 51 Old 10-15-2004, 06:26 PM

That would be interesting to know! I'm sure Penny Armstrong would know that...
#7 of 51 Old 10-15-2004, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm...maybe I can ask my midwife. She worked in Amish country doing births for a while. It was a really interesting experience. She told me all about it. Perhaps she found out how long they nurse.

I can't imagine them doing formula and bottles either. They do everything pretty natural.
#8 of 51 Old 10-15-2004, 09:57 PM

My midwife had an amish apprentice a while ago, when she delivered my little sister. Next time I talk to her I'll see if she knows and I'll pass it on if you haven't already found out by then. Good question, though. Now I'm curious!

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#9 of 51 Old 10-16-2004, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There are such things as glass bottles...

I'm curious too.

"What will you do once you know?"
#10 of 51 Old 10-16-2004, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjenn
I have wondered this myself. I can't believe they could use formula in good conscience. That seems odd to me. I mean don't they avoid technological things? Formula is produced on machinery and you would have to go buy plastic bottles to feed with wouldn't you?
LOL...I always see Amish people getting out of cars (in the back seat) and going to Wal-Mart, so I suppose if they needed bottles, they'd get them there.

I would imagine that they'd nurse as long as possible though. I wonder if they make their own formula if needed?

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#11 of 51 Old 10-16-2004, 01:23 AM

Not everyone is able to breastfeed due to medical reasons, so maybe that's why some use formula? Hmm, that's the only thing I can come up with. lol
#12 of 51 Old 10-16-2004, 01:30 AM

Almost every time I go to Walmart I see Amish people with carts full of disposibles and formula. And the babies are little most of the time. There is no way all of the Amish I have seen cant bf.
#13 of 51 Old 10-16-2004, 01:33 AM

I'm curious too! My midwife also worked in an Amish community for 13+yrs doing homebirths, so I'll ask her when we see her on Wednesday (if I can remember.... darn preggo brain! )
#14 of 51 Old 10-16-2004, 01:36 AM

That's interesting. We don't have a lot of Amish in my area, but down in middle TN there is one particular community that is prodominantly Amish. I have a good friend that lives there. I'll see if she knows. I am surprised they use formula and bottles when if it isn't absolutely necessary.

#15 of 51 Old 10-16-2004, 08:23 AM

I don't think Amish = Natural Family Living.

I've seen many Amish applying chemical fertilizers and pesticides on their fields -- drawn by a horse, yes, but still spraying the crops.
#16 of 51 Old 10-16-2004, 03:25 PM

I live about 40 minutes from the Amana Colonies in Iowa.. Many of the Amish birth in the same hospital that I have.. I have heard they love coming into the hospital for their births .. Sign up for the epi's right away.. And just love their stay with technology.. I also see them just LOADING up their carts with sposies.. So.. I know that alot of the ones we see at Walmart use sposies.. Haven't seen anyone breastfeeding, but haven't noticed carts full of formula either..

I have to agree that Amish doesn't = NFL.. I found out that most of the puppy mills in our area are Amish owned.. And the same for many dog fighting rings.. Sad..

Warm Squishy Feelings..

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#17 of 51 Old 10-16-2004, 03:29 PM

I was surprised to learn there are Amish shopping at Walmart and applying chemical fertilizers to their crops. Wow!
#18 of 51 Old 10-16-2004, 03:55 PM

So are the people seen at Walmart and such Amish or Mennonites? We have a few Amish around here, but the only place I see them is at the Farmer's Market. I see more Mennonites in stores or at the library.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#19 of 51 Old 10-16-2004, 04:05 PM

My dad lives near a small Amish community in upstate NY - Stone Arabia, for anyone familiar with the area. We always saw them at RiteAid and Ames buying Pampers ..
#20 of 51 Old 10-16-2004, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ROFL! No offense, guys but you've been seriously misled if you think that just because a mother is Amish she breastfeeds as long as possible. My midwife attends primarily Amish mothers. She told me most of them nurse for a few weeks and then say give the typical oh, I didn't have enough milk, excuses. She told me this when she was talking about an Amish woman who has a baby about every year and I was surprised because I figured they'd be spaced further due to LAM. She said, oh, no, that this was typical of the Amish in the area.

Amish certainly does not automatically mean natural family living. After all, anyone heard of rumspringa? If you're curious, do a google search on "devil's playground."

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

#21 of 51 Old 10-16-2004, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

FTR I never said Amish = NFL. I just said they tend to do things more naturally. Also, no one said a mother would breastfeed as long as possible just because she's Amish. That's why I was wondering.

I thought it was a good question since traditionally they're supposed to do things naturally but then also they have to hide their bodies. I know when my midwife was doing births in Amish Country for years she had to be covered down to her ankles. They all had homebirths there. I just kind of wonder how (religion wise) they regard breasts and breastfeeding.

I did think Amish communities were very strict and am surprised to find out that they shop at Wal-Mart and give birth in the hospital with an Epidural. That blows my mind. I thought they were never supposed to go to hospitals or see doctors.

I guess the 90's changed everyone eh? :LOL
#22 of 51 Old 10-17-2004, 02:09 AM

ok i goggled it, way crazy, if i were amish i probably wouldn't go back.

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#23 of 51 Old 10-17-2004, 03:15 AM

Interesting question MamaAllNatural. Being in Hawaii, I don't believe we have any Amish here, so this is interesting to hear about others' experiences.

I think I'd like to start a thread on how long all cultures in general (not just Amish) breastfeed.

:
#24 of 51 Old 10-17-2004, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki
I found out that most of the puppy mills in our area are Amish owned.. And the same for many dog fighting rings.. Sad..

Warm Squishy Feelings..

Dyan
That is terrible!! I despise puppy mills, but that's a whole 'nother thread. :

#25 of 51 Old 10-17-2004, 09:00 AM

I agree with the poster who suggested that those you see shopping at Wal-Mart are Mennonites rather than Amish. They look similar but hold different beliefs about modern conveniences.
#26 of 51 Old 10-17-2004, 10:16 AM

You have to remember there are different types of Amish (and Mennonite). There are conservative Amish who still only cloth diaper, extended nurse, birth out of hospital unless there is a medical need to be in the hospital, use natural medicine, don't use pesticides, etc. There are middle of the road Amish who do some of those, and don't do some of those. Then there are liberal Amish who use disposables, formula, hispital birth with epis, etc. Likewise, there is a range of Mennonites as well. There are liberal Amish that are more liberal than conservative Mennonites (with the exception of using electricity and driving cars). Where I used to live the Amish were very conservative. They use cars only when absolutely necessary (like to go to the health food store - seeing an Amish person in a place like Wal-Mart or Target is extremely rare). The majority of them have their babies with the midwife who delivered Mr. Man (she does only out of hospital births). The majority nurse a minimum of two years. There is definitely no one answer to how long do the Amish nurse. It totally depends on where their particular group is on the conservative to liberal spectrum. It also depends a lot on what their particular religious leader allows.
#27 of 51 Old 10-17-2004, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tadpoles
I agree with the poster who suggested that those you see shopping at Wal-Mart are Mennonites rather than Amish. They look similar but hold different beliefs about modern conveniences.
This is what I was thinking too.
#28 of 51 Old 10-17-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini
So are the people seen at Walmart and such Amish or Mennonites? We have a few Amish around here, but the only place I see them is at the Farmer's Market. I see more Mennonites in stores or at the library.

Well, I actually knew the ones I saw at Wal-Mart, and they are very much Amish...I've been to their farm.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#29 of 51 Old 10-17-2004, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Each congregation has it's own specific rules, so it no doubt varies widely. I recently read an ethnography on the Amish, but the author didn't go into a lot of ethopediatric details. There has been a trend away from folk medicine in recent years, though.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#30 of 51 Old 10-17-2004, 06:39 PM

The ones around here are Amish.. We see them getting out of large vans being driven by your average looking Joe.. The men are wearing the black wide brim hats we see.. We used to go to many estate auctions while pg with ds1 and shortly after he was born.. (ohh.. I love auctions.. i wish we still had money to go!!! ) We saw the Amish there.. They are Amish.. Not Menonite.. We would see these same Amish at Wal-Mart.. The info I have about the Epi's are from a L & D nurse and IBCLC at the hospital I have birthed at..

I think with everything in every culture.. It probably depends on the individual.. The Amish I see are buying sposies, and fabric.. I don't go snooping through others carts, but when they are full of sposies and Fabric with little else.. It's hard to miss..:LOL

Warm Squishy Feelings..

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page