breastfeeding-vs-babyfood dilemma - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-12-2002, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I nurse my 8 month old baby and I still haven't begun to feed her baby food. I plan to wait until she is one year old. My only concern is that she is missing out on hands-to-mouth coordination skills, which she could develop by practicing with finger foods or by using a spoon.

My question is how can she still develop these skills and continue the breast milk only "diet"?
#2 of 16 Old 08-12-2002, 11:36 AM

my son didn't start solids until he was a year old and I don't think he missed out on anything. If she is putting toys in her mouth she is practicing hand to mouth...and most 8 month olds have no idea how to use a spoon effectively anyway. When my son did start solids at one year he only took a month to master the spoon. The only think your baby will be missing out on is food allergies.

-Heather

edited to add: Babies master skills in their own time, doesn't really matter when they do as long as they do. And IMO 8 months is too young for finger foods anyway. I have a daycare and I can't give finger foods to kids that young. I don't give them to kids in daycare until they are about 10-12 months old. 2 months isn't much of a difference is it? I mean some babies walk at 8 or 9 months, other at 15, that is all still within the realm of normal.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#3 of 16 Old 08-12-2002, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Moondiapers....Thanks for your reasurance. I thaught my daughter would be lacking something and I was right "in a way".

As you said--she will be missing out on food allergies (oh, hard decision.

You're right... it wil happen on her time.

One question...Did your son show an interest in food before he was 1 yo? If so, how did you handle it?
#4 of 16 Old 08-12-2002, 12:22 PM

Once my baby could pick small things up in the pinch hold, I started letting her eat cheerios. Mostly she just threw them on the floor, but it was fun for her and gave her practice picking up and chewing real food. It did not interfere with breastfeeding in any sort of way (and neither did offering her a few bites of whatever I was eating, oatmeal or whatever, every now and then). I believe in watching the baby for signs and doing things accordingly rather than doing what you read about in magazines or whatever. There is a window of time when introducing solids is much easier, varies depending on the kid, and if you miss that window, it might be a lot harder to get them to eat.
#5 of 16 Old 08-12-2002, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

hi Stafl,

My daughter does show interest in food... is that the window you are talking about?

I do want to wait because we have asthmatic and food allergic relatives. Do you mean it will be harder to feed her solids later if she happens to be interested NOW?
#6 of 16 Old 08-12-2002, 01:13 PM

When Chace wouldn't eat solids at eight months, we started to get concerned. Every time we tried to spoon feed him he would either refuse or eat a little and throw up (not spit up, but throw up ). He got sick around that time so the doctor did a blood test. I was concerned about the whole iron thing. He had nursed only for his whole life- no formula or any other food. So the doctor said his red blood cells were, "just a little on the pink side." She said iron supplement were not necessary, but to try and introduce iron-rich foods sometime in the next couple of months.

Sometime around 9-10 months, he developed a strong interest and ability in "finger foods". Mostly he ate little cubes of food and cereal O's. At 11 months we started small cubes of firm tofu- they were a big hit and a good source of iron. He only ate very small portions, but what he ate he kept down. It seems to me that his physical development and his need for additional nutrition clicked in at about the same time. Coincidence? It makes me feel dumb for wasting time trying to get that baby spoon in his mouth when he didn't need that nutritionally or developmentally.

So anyway, I've learned that it's more important to watch children's own development than to stick to some arbitrary age. I felt good about getting the blood test, because it helped ease my fears about his diet. There are other babies who do become anemic late in the first year, especially if they were born early. It can be corrected with iron supplement.
#7 of 16 Old 08-12-2002, 04:23 PM

he showed an interest in what I was eating and I let him play a little, he was only interested in tasting and spitting it out. but you could look at it this way too....just because he wanted my carkeys doesn't mean he was ready to drive.

-Heatehr

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#8 of 16 Old 08-12-2002, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kakies
hi Stafl,

My daughter does show interest in food... is that the window you are talking about?

I do want to wait because we have asthmatic and food allergic relatives. Do you mean it will be harder to feed her solids later if she happens to be interested NOW?
That's just what I heard, and it might have been because I didn't start solids when doc (and other "experts" like my grandparents) told me to. Or I might have read that in Dr. Sears Baby Book. What I did, and it was right for us and may not be right for you, was to offer her a little taste of what I was eating. Sometimes she'd take a bite or two, most of the time she would just spit it out. When she was ready, she started eating lots more and just hollered at me if I ate anything with a spoon and didn't offer her some of it. Now she's 15 months, and eats just about anything, isn't picky at all about what she eats like so many toddlers I've seen. And, she is still getting the majority of her nutrition from the breastmilk. She has a sensitivity to dairy, and just won't eat it at all. I have a problem with eggs, so I haven't even tried giving her them. She does eat penut butter and strawberries no problem, though nobody in the family has a problem with those food allergies. Good luck! I don't think anyone really has the right answer, you just have to go with your gut instincts!
#9 of 16 Old 08-12-2002, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

thanks to all for the great advice. I feel better about my waiting till she is 1yo. I will be giving her just a taste here and there until then.

oh! and Moondiapers you're right... I don't think she is ready to drive.
#10 of 16 Old 08-14-2002, 11:07 AM

yes, we too will wait until at least a year. my son is 11 months. We've done lots of research and Dr. Wootan in his book also suggests that this is a good idea since he doesn't believe their bodies are able to break down food before then. As to any iron concern my naturopath suggests that I make sure I eat good healthy organic foods and has me taking a good iron supplement myself- he benefits through the breast milk. A big concern with alot of people is that immediate cord clamping (ICC) as opposed to delayed cord cutting/clamping (DCC) at birth makes it so that the baby does not receive all of its blood...which could possibly play a big factor in anemia or iron issues as they get older...

nice to see there are others who are practicing delayed solids...

i get quite the comments lately.... I smile and always have a good comeback! LOL

bfn

wendy
#11 of 16 Old 08-14-2002, 02:59 PM

When DD was small she did not show interest in food until late. Early on I offered her crap (cereal) which she reefused, and I quickly learned it wasn't necessary and then foolowed her cues. Now DS who is now 11 and 1/2 months was OPPOSITE! HE showed signs of "feed me" at 6 months. I put it off and have made it a slow process but this boy is unbelievable!! Ya just motion towards the refrigerator and he screams 'UMMMMMMMMMMMM!" I try to give him bits of my food and healthy snacks. I have learned he can dive acrossed a room (he can't walk) if he sees cake and knows I will take it so he attacks and stuffs in his mouth!: This kid is unbeleivable. I am vegetarian and so is he but he reached across a table at a party and stole a woman's pork!! I got it before it hit his mouth!

Point is, is follow the babes cues. If the baby really needed or was interested in table food, you'd know. My kids were OPPOSITES in this department! Thankfully, I have relaxed alot so DS face stuffing of foods I'd rather he not eat on occasion doesn't get to me. I mean, where does worrying get you!!

On a sad note: Another FF baby I know was put on "rice cereal" by a Doctor, and before 2 months old!!!!! ARGH! I guess I have been lucky, my kids Docs have never even asked what the yeat!!
#12 of 16 Old 08-14-2002, 03:13 PM

At 8mths dd is primarily breastfed---she really doesnt like baby food at all and its not worth the effort and the mess she does like just within the last 2-3wks feeding herself O's and cooked cut up carrot and other little bits of food.
To back track at her 6mth checkup her ped was concerned that she wasnt 'into' baby food at all and if it didnt improve by her 9mth she was going to refer us to a occupational therapist to help her!! AGH! Needless to say at next mths chkup I am going to 'lie' and say all is well in regards to her eating b/c it is!
#13 of 16 Old 08-14-2002, 05:51 PM

You could give her blocks or small (but safe) toys to play with. What about the block toy that you have to fit shapes into? You could let her play with a spoon and some applesauce (don't feel like she has to eat it).

BTW- My ds didn't do non-breastmilk foods until he was close to a year old and he's "developmentaly perfect"

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#14 of 16 Old 08-14-2002, 06:31 PM

yes- i agree with the toys and blocks idea and back to the original thought of hand eye and fine motor skills - this would be excellent for that. if my 11 month old son is not off playing (say dropping spoons and things down the air conditioning vents-LOL)when we go to eat we have on occasion used a highchair we just borrowed. i use spoons and a bowl of water, his wooden toys etc. He's good for about 10-15minutes tops-enough time for my husband to eat and me to take my time. I have also found that as Wootan suggests if i have small toys on my plate and give it to him that works too. I had to laugh at the one post- yes my son too races from the other room to get to the fridge or dishwasher when he hears them open- they absolutely fascinate him!! Take care and trust that it will all work out just perfectly by the time he's in college! :-)

all the best
wendy
canada
#15 of 16 Old 08-14-2002, 07:10 PM

dd3 is 8 mo too. She is almost exclusively bf. Some days she will munch/throw around a few O's, some samll peices of watermelon or cantelope, etc. She likes to suck/teethe on strips of red/yellow/orange peppers. She shows interest in food and grabs for whatever I am eating, and somtime I give her a little bit (I know, probably not the smartest thing to feed an 8 mo bits of bran muffin or let her suck on the bread from my lunch). When she was 6.5 mo I gave her some mashed banana, which she liked okay, but the mashed food thing is not for me or her. Perhaps I am taking the lazy Mom road , but I really didn't see any reason to feed her when it is just for "practice" anyway and not nutrition. She does not really need prctice being spoon fed, KWIM? I have weird ideas about food for her, too. Like I won't give her chicken or fish yet, but a few tastes of my frozen yogurt are okay? : If we had real food allergies I guess I would be more careful, but it does not seem to be an issue. I guess it is true what they say about third, fourth, fifth kids, or rather lazy moms like me.
#16 of 16 Old 08-14-2002, 09:45 PM

Momof4-you sound just like me when it comes to feeding. I rationalize when he takes in stuff I should've avoided giving him too though! lol The only thing is the one thing i do avoid is Cheerios the yseem liek a choking hazard to me...BTW, my almost one yo only has 2 teeth anyway!!!!

I guess I am lucky I have really never had a Doctor ask about my kids eating habits! (Besides DD's first who was evil and called her obese, but she doesn't count as that was so early on-5 months old-that I switched right away!) DS current Ped. has NEVER asked a food related question....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page