Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 08-22-2002, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
did I offend you?
:
because I don't mean to

wife and teacher, WOHM to A whistling.gif'02, Cdust.gif'05, and W  Sheepish.gif'07
#32 of 39 Old 08-22-2002, 11:14 PM

Nope, not a bit : )

Maybe *we* should take this to PMs?
#33 of 39 Old 08-23-2002, 12:32 PM

Echodonn,

A baby doesn't need solids until after the first year if he is breastfed. Breastmilk has all the nutrients needed for a healthy growth during the whole first year of life.

I didn't just read this on some magazine... well I did. "BUT" I also read it in a Dr. Sears book. I still was skeptacle so I asked my daughter's pediatritians (2). They are both Certified Lactation Consultants and don't always agree on everything (vaccines for example). But they said that 'breastmilk only' for the first year is the best choice. I also mentioned it in a 'Breastfeeding Support Group' and the Lactation Consultant who happens to also be a nutritionist (or Dietarian Doctor) confirmed the same thing.

The idea of supplementing with babyfood after 6mo was intended for formula fed babies. Breastmilk changes along with the babies needs for nutrients. This means that as the baby grows and has different nutritional needs....the breastmilk will get adjusted to those needs automatically. Isn't that great!!!

Only formula fed babies need to drink water and need to have feeding schedules, because babies digestive systems aren't designed for formula. They also need babyfood after they are 6mo because formula doesn't self-adjust itself.

Before the first 6mo the baby's digestive system isn't developed enough to easily digest things like cereal or babyfood. When a baby is given something other than breast milk (like solids or formula) his body will have to work harder to digest it and the baby will have longer stretches between feedings--- not because he is eating better but because he is having a harder time to decompose the stuff. This can end up messing up a baby's delicate stomach.

By waiting until my daughter is 1yo I am avoiding possible food allergies, digestive problems, asthma, breastmilk-supply reduction and other no goodies. That's the only thing she will be missing out on!

Cow's milk for example is made for baby cows. A baby cow will get up and walk shortly after he is born--human babies don't. Formula has cow's milk in it. Cow's milk might be higher in proteins and calories but these are proteins and calories that a human baby just dosen't need. That is why formula fed babies diapers are smellier than the brestfed babies.

Breastmilk is much easier on babies stomach and is fully absorbed quicker. So frequent feedings in a shorter period of time are common.

Okey, a lit'l off topic....maybe. But I'm just trying to be helpfull to all.

Alley are you reading?
#34 of 39 Old 08-25-2002, 03:33 AM

My ds is 17 months and 16 pounds and he's thriving-little is good!
#35 of 39 Old 08-25-2002, 07:02 AM

Alley are you reading? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, I read it, thanks so much. Here's a question. Right now, I am supplementing my daughter with formula because my milk supply is low. It has been since she was around 2 months for many reasons. I am working on getting to 100% but if I don't, then what do I do? Any ideas? Thanks for taking the time and care to help with suggestions
#36 of 39 Old 08-26-2002, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

firstsix months now a year...it just keeps getting better all the time(Beattles)
I promise to do my reading
It is too easy to nurse! I noticed that when I have been feeding Ana the last couple weeeks I was just feeding her on one breast for 5-10 minutes about every 45- 60 minutes. Now I am feeding her 5- 10 minutes on each breast on demand and my milk supply is incredibly stronger. I think I am also worried about how many ounces she is eating. I wish there was a way to tell. But she is not getting any formula or cereal so we are both much happier people!

wife and teacher, WOHM to A whistling.gif'02, Cdust.gif'05, and W  Sheepish.gif'07
#37 of 39 Old 08-29-2002, 02:38 PM

Echodonn,

I know what you mean about not knowing how much milk the baby is getting, but I stopped worrying about this looong ago. We can't see how many ounces they drink but we can count how many diapers they wet. As long as you are changing a good amount of wet diapers daily you're okay. Soiled diapers don't have to be daily with an exclusively breastfed baby -----> But only AFTER the baby is 2 months old (NOT BEFORE). After 2mo it can even take as long as 2 weeks without a soiled diaper... and it will still be okay (only for exclusively breastfed babies) .

Just make sure that your baby is growing and gaining wait accordingly. " Accordingly" as in according to her stage and what the doctor says --- and NOT according to cousin Joe and aunt Elma, for example. Avoid comparing your baby with other babies...we are all different. If your baby is healthy and happy, there isn't much to worry about.

Allie,

I don't see why your milk supply wouldn't improve if you try some of the advice mentioned in the other posts. You may continue having problems but they may be caused by incorrect sucking on the baby's part or some kind of biological problem on your part---- other than that I'm sure you will be having more milk coming in, trust me.

Let's say you do have some kind of problem (which is very rare) I don't know whether you should continue supplementing with goat's milk or babyfood. I would check the labels to see which offers the nutrition your daughter needs at this stage. Talk to a lactation consultant or a doctor to make the best decision.

To both....
Let us know what happens & happy nursing!!!
#38 of 39 Old 08-29-2002, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Last night I attended LLLI Ana goes to sleep at 7pm so I couldn't bring her to 7:30 pm meeting but other than one womans baby she seemed right on target. I think that all babies come in different packages. It's really exciting to see my baby doing so well. She is so beautiful to me. I love nursing her. Now that I take longer and nurse on each side Ana and I have really found our groove!

#39 of 39 Old 08-29-2002, 06:11 PM

Echodnn,

I am so happy to see that you and Ana doing well. It is a good thing you went to the LLLI meeting. Now that you met other nursing mothers and saw a professional consultant I am sure you feel much more relieved. That is why it's sooo important to go to the meetings because even if you know all the "theory" you sometimes get confused by what other people tell you and they make you doubt what you are doing.

Once in a while all we need is a little reasurance to let us know that we are doing the best for our babies.

You are a good mommy--- so keep up the good work!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page