how long to exclusively nurse? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 08-14-2002, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I exclusivly nurse Ana. My family oten tells me how tiny she is and tells me to give her cereal. Should I take their advice and do both or should I wait till our doctor tells us it is neccessary. Ana is about 12-13 pounds. What do you think?:

wife and teacher, WOHM to A whistling.gif'02, Cdust.gif'05, and W  Sheepish.gif'07
#2 of 39 Old 08-14-2002, 02:04 PM

It can be so difficult dealing w/wellmeaning family and friends, but listen to your body and your baby. The charts at the MD's office really reflect ff babies, not bf babes. My ds weighed 11 lbs. 12 oz at 3 mo. He has always been in the 5th-10th percentile, but is healthy and his doc has never given me a difficult time about his size. A baby at 3 mo. doesn't need cereal. Breast milk is the perfect food for your baby. Check out www.promom.org for 101 reasons to bf your baby.

Best of Luck~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#3 of 39 Old 08-14-2002, 02:06 PM

tell your family that the american academy of pedicatrics says that babies should have NO OTHER FOOD BESIDES BREASTMILK FOR 6 MONTHS!
and some babies are not ready for solids even then. cereal does not help babies gain weight or sleep through the night.
just smile and nod and say thanks for the advice, we'll ask the pediatrician. and then keep doing what you're doing.
#4 of 39 Old 08-15-2002, 12:12 AM

Cereal has FEWER calories per ounce than breastmilk. If it's bulky and fills your Dd's stomach and she doesn't want as much milk, that's even more calories lost.

I don't trust those weight charts at all - look at our adult population on whom at least the original weight charts are based; diabetes, obesity, heart disease, uggh, what things to aim for.
#5 of 39 Old 08-15-2002, 12:27 PM

shoshannas mom couldn't have said it better.

And the charts at the pediatrician are for formula fed babies. Your baby is growing fine and is too young for anything other than breastmilk. Keep up the good work!
#6 of 39 Old 08-15-2002, 09:24 PM

I agree - wait until 6 months!

Baby's reflexes to swallow cereal or other food is not developed enough until then anyway - there is no point in pushing it earlier. Just keep nursing on cue, as much as she wants, and I am sure she be fine!
#7 of 39 Old 08-15-2002, 09:37 PM

echodonn,

i was at a La Leche League meeting today at which this was the topic. I was starting to question exclusively breastfeeding my almost 6 month old dd, but they really reinforced my decision. There is a lot of info to support waiting on any solids in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, as well as the Nursing Mother's Companion. Both great books!

Two other things they mentioned were the benefits of waiting on the reduced incidence of food allergies appearing and the fact that breastmilk has so many immunities from mama (and whatever cereal, etc., means babe is usually having less breastmilk).

In general I also find it hard to listen to people's well-meaning advice. I'm surprised at how vulnerable I often feel as a new mom, and how hard it is to remain confident in my knowledge of my dd and listening to her needs instead of the 'conventional wisdom' of others.

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#8 of 39 Old 08-15-2002, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

I am really interested in reading literature to improve my philosophies, I think those books will be a big help. Also, while feeding Ana the first and only time rice cereal she spit up a lot(more than usual), that is what initially sent my red flag up.
I love nursing exclusively because it is so easy. I will not see my doctor till september so I wanted to ask all of you, I know that what the doctor says is best but I think Ana can wait for a couple more weeks and I hope he agrees with you all. Thank you for the wonderful discussion I look forward to more posts!
IN PEace, Eileen :better

wife and teacher, WOHM to A whistling.gif'02, Cdust.gif'05, and W  Sheepish.gif'07
#9 of 39 Old 08-16-2002, 12:47 AM

I have to clarify a few things that other posters have said. First of all, the AAP says that babies should be exclusively breast fed for the first four to six months of life and that breast feeding should be the primary form of nutrition for babies until they are a year old. Secondly the charts at the doctors office are not always based on formula fed babies. The AAP came out with new charts in May 2000 and most doctors are using them now. The new charts are *either* based on formula feeding or on breast feeding. As your doctor which charts they use! The AAP has also come out with new charts that are based on ethnicity, but those aren't widely used.

Echodonn, how old is Ana?

What I did with Annabelle was exclusively breast feed until she was six months old, then I slowly introduced solids. I used the chart given in "The Baby Book" and used the preparation ideas in "Super Baby Food". I did not allow any of the highly allergenic foods into Annabelle until she was a year old. I did not allow any nuts or soy until she was two, at my ped's suggestion as I have food allergies. Annabelle does have a reaction to soy, but I think that's because she's getting the antibodies from my breast milk. Annabelle just turned two and still breast feeds, if that helps at all.

I really didn't force solids on Annabelle and she really didn't have an interest in them until she was a year old. Looking back I would not change a thing : )

Hope this helps!
#10 of 39 Old 08-16-2002, 03:56 AM

IMO 3 mo is too young for food feeding.

What's the rush? I see she's born in May, 12 to 13 lbs. How much did she weigh at birth?

Is the doctor supportive of exclusive bf'g 'til six months?

Enough questions. Go bf your baby and don't second-guess yourself. You're doing fine.

- Amy
#11 of 39 Old 08-16-2002, 04:32 AM

I suggest that you contact an LLL consultant and ask for a list of Pediatricians who are also lactation consultants. I think that this is VERY important because even though a regular pediatric doctor may be in favor of your breastfeeding he may not know how to handle the different situation that may come up. He might even tell you to combine with cereal or something instead of telling you how to modify YOUR diet or your nursing techniques in order to help your baby gain weight or whatever else is causing a problem.

There could be many reasons why Ana isn't as chubby as you want her to be. "Maybe that is just the way she is". Maybe she doesn't know how to suck correctly or hard enough. Maybe she just needs more frequent feedings. A LC is the key.

My daughter had problems at the begining and wasn't gaining too much weight. So I decided to co-sleep and now she has become a "betty boop" if you know what I mean, with all those night feedings. She is now 8 mo and is exclusively breast fed. No water, no cereal no nothing....just 100% mama's milk. And I intend to keep it that way until she is 1yo. Her doctor is also a LC and she agrees with what I am doing.

I let her suck on my breast even when she has fallen asleep because even though she is sucking for comfort she is also getting at least "some" milk that way.

You can try long feedings on one breast at a time. At least 20 min until the fatty milk comes in. Squeezing your breast while feeding also helps, it really does.

I also read in a Dr. Sears book that you can do short feedings on each breast alternating them every time the baby would slow down or get distracted. Burping her well and then going on to the other breast. This made the Milk Ejection Reflex work more rapidly so the fatty part of the milk would come sooner.

Also remember that if you do give her something other than breast milk...your milk supply will be less- Then you will REALLY have problems.

Don't pay attention to all those comments. Even though the mean well. I know that it's frustrating because it happend to me but I also know that the best milk in the world comes from mommy. And I have a healthy happy baby to prove it. People who see me breastfeeding her always ask: What else do you feed her besides breast milk. And I smile and say "Just the food GOD sent her...My milk". Their jaws drop and they end up saying things like: "WOW, it comes to show that there's nothing better that breast milk".

I encourage you to keep up the good work!!! Everything will turn out just fine.
#12 of 39 Old 08-16-2002, 04:43 AM

I was just reading through your other posts, Echodonn, and I saw that Ana is only eleven going on twelve *weeks* old. Tell your family to stuff it, and that Ana is getting the best food on earth!
#13 of 39 Old 08-19-2002, 11:28 PM

Hi, I have been looking through the topics to ask my own question... would you mind replying?

I bf my baby from the start. As a first time mom, I didn't know much but that I wanted to bf exclusively. Luca slept through the night from the beginning however and I didn't know better to wake her to feed. I lost a lot of my milk and have struggled ever since. Luca is 6 mos now and I have boosted my milk with fenugreek, mother's tea, brewers yeast. Also through the SBS feeding system. I have to supplement unfortunately.

I alternate between: breast, formula and raw goat milk. The formula is for the added nutrients although I am learning to add to the goat's milk now and will only occasionally use the formula.

I plan to bf as long as I can. I have read so many posts from people who were able to exclusively bf. I envy them. I wish I could. What do you all think of the menu I have now and should I just start her on solids in place of the formula? If so, when and what? Please help. I don't know where to turn.

And please, anyone who reads this, don't take for granted your ability to bf. If I could find a wetnurse, I would use her milk. It was such a hard time when I didn't have enough milk. I have finally become satisfied that I can feed her 1/2 time bm.
#14 of 39 Old 08-19-2002, 11:33 PM

p.s. elizabeth, could you email me or post the authors of the two books you mentioned that helped you so much?

allisanicole@aol.com
#15 of 39 Old 08-19-2002, 11:45 PM

Hi there my ds was born on 5/8/02 and when we went to the ped. @ 2 weeks ago he weighed 12 lbs. my doctor said nothing to me about his weight. I truly would not worry about it & try to ignore what others say. You are giving your baby the best stuff on earth. TRUST YOUR INTINCTS! You truly know if your baby is heathly. Good luck- Katie
#16 of 39 Old 08-20-2002, 01:40 PM

"The Baby Book" is by Dr Sears and "Super Baby Food" is by Ruth Yaron. I got them both from Amazon.com : )

HTH!
#17 of 39 Old 08-21-2002, 06:50 AM

Allie!!!!

I think the problem is that you are supplementing your baby's feedings with something other than your own milk. That is only going to reduce your supply of breastmilk!

I suggest you breastfeed your baby- and by this I mean directly to the breast (no pumping) as often as your baby needs it ... for as long as she wishes to. The more your baby feeds directly on your breasts and the longer she does it ...the more milk you will produce. That's the way it works! If she only stimulates your breasts 1/2 the time you will only produce 1/2 the milk she needs. Your body thinks that your daughter only needs that amount of milk, you see? Offer her your breast as often as possible for comfort when she gets an 'owie' or gets scared or to calm her down when she crys or to help her sleep or whatever...just as you would do with a pacifier. Oh, and this also means--DON'T use a pacifier (just in case you do). I would also try co-sleeping with her in order to have her stimulate the milk glands 24/7.

--Drink lots of liquids. Eat healthy. Use supplemental vitamins for yourself if you wish.

--Stay *caaalm* and avoid stressful situations because that can affect your milk supply.

--Read Dr. Sears books.

--Contact a La Leche League consultant as soon as possible (right now). Don't wait any longer to get professional help because your milk could dry out and I know you don't want that.

Just hang in there. I don't know if this the solution to your specific problem but remember there IS a solution to basically every breastfeeding problem so don't give up. I'm sure Luca will someday thank you for doing your best.

I really hope to have helped you or anyone else in some way. Please keep us posted! Good Luck.
#18 of 39 Old 08-21-2002, 06:56 AM

Such fantastic, wonderful ideas!!!!
#19 of 39 Old 08-21-2002, 04:23 PM

I just checked out the Dr. Sears site . It is full of information on parenting topics. Go to the breastfeeding index for more help with your bf issues. It's askdrsears.com
#20 of 39 Old 08-21-2002, 04:42 PM

Okay, I mean, I am so willing to do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, believe me. But, because my milk supply is so low, she gets upset when there is no milk. I understand the ideas but she is six months old, if I don't have the milk, she won't have anything to eat. Should I not give her anything for that meal replacement? I don't understand. I don't want my supply to dry up and it has increased with fenugreek, brewers yeast red raspberry and pumping when she is asleep. I do stay relaxed as best I can. I want to do what you are saying but then when I have just a small amount of milk, what do I do? I usually feed her at the breast until she gets fussy when there isn't more. I switch sides frequently and squeeze the breast. I burp her etc. But when that won't do anymore, I either feed her 4-6 oz of formula or raw goat milk. HELP! I value all the wisdom here but help me make it so that she doesn't go without getting her tummy satisfied.

And, thanks again for your advice, time and care. Allie
#21 of 39 Old 08-21-2002, 09:11 PM

Allie, do you feed your baby on demand?
#22 of 39 Old 08-21-2002, 10:18 PM

I had a small baby too who is now 5 years old. but mine only weighed about 14 lbs at 6 months of age. As long as your baby is growing even if slowly, there really should be no problem.

3 months is much to young for solids.
#23 of 39 Old 08-21-2002, 10:22 PM

Allie, I was in a similar situation to yours, though my reasons for supplementing were different - dd was physically unable to nurse because of tongue-tie. I wouldn't recommend cutting out the supplements all at once (but if your baby is a strong nurser, you could try dropping a few ounces each day, gradually cutting out the supplements). What I did was pump after every feeding with a hospital grade pump (Medela Lactina was the only pump that would work for me, and I used the double pumping kit), and again after dd went to sleep and if I woke up before she did. The point is to pump as often as possible, and for as long as possible. I was finally able to supplement with 100% mommy milk and drop the formula altogether. If you can manage to drop all the artificial supplements, that means your supply is plenty good enough. It's hard work, but soooo worth it. Try the pumpmoms list at yahoogroups.com if you need help with pumping. For me, it meant I had to pump long enough for two letdowns each session, which usually took about 40 minutes. Since your baby is able to nurse, your supply should increase a lot faster than it took me. Do a search for relactation, and you'll find a lot of good advice, too.

The thing with solids is that you don't want to replace any of the milk with solids, it's in addition to the milk. I believe that if solid food takes the place of milk, you are giving too much solids, at least in the first year.
#24 of 39 Old 08-22-2002, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElizabethMcKeeman
Allie, do you feed your baby on demand?
Elizabeth,
I feel like I feed her on demand. She ususally makes her hungry sound and I offer her the breast. As I think back, I have at times, given her a bottle if I breastfed her in under 2 hours because I didn't think I would have enough milk (as through experience). Since reading your posts, today, I am offering the breast every single time she seems hungry or even if we are playing. I will also sleep with her tonight to see if she wakes in the middle of the night. She has been a sleep-through-the-night baby since the beginning though, sleeping until 8-9am. Unheard of I know... I guess after doing this, my concern is when do I give her a bottle if she is pulling away (no milk) and is hungry. Today, I nursed her all morning and didn't give her a bottle until around 1pm. She nursed after that again frequently but she was very hungry when I gave her a bottle again at 5 or 6pm. I think she had 3 bottles today. I will do just as I have learned and the goal is to wean from bottles altogether. Also, I really have done so much and will continue to do so. My mother in law has told me so many times that I am doing WAY more than she ever did or would. "Give her some rice cereal", which I won't from what I have heard. So, the final questions are, what do I do when she isn't getting enough until my milk builds with more frequent nursing and I think I did ask this question earlier, when and what solids do I give her next? Thank you Elizabeth and all who have responded. I appreciate it SO much!
#25 of 39 Old 08-22-2002, 02:44 AM

I do know what it's like to have a sleep through the night baby. Annabelle did from her third night home. It took her a while to be able to find my boob while sleeping, but now she does it without either of us waking up.

If I were in your situation I would offer her the boob first, and at least every hour. It shouldn't take too long to get your milk supply up to where your daughter needs it to be. Just make sure you're drinking water all the time. Also, check any supplements that you're taking and make sure they are okay for breast feeding. I know of a midwife that told all her mothers to take a chinese herb that is know to reduce milk supply. *sigh*

Have you gone to any LLL meetings? They might be able to help more than me or anyone here. The meetings in SF are only once a month and I just never went to them. Annabelle is the queen of the "nip and nap" and would have happily just had my boob in her mouth all the time until she was five months old and could sit up.

You will have to do some bottle feeding, just to make sure she's getting enough food while your milk supply gets established. I'd say always offer the boob first and if she keeps popping off and on and off an on that would mean the boob is pretty empty and offer the bottle.

I'm not a professional and I've only breast fed one baby (well, two but not all the time). I really hope this helps you both
: )

As for the MIL, my Mom says stuff like that too. My mental response is to think "How could you not take all this time with a baby?!?!?"
#26 of 39 Old 08-22-2002, 05:11 PM

Elizabeth, Thanks again. I think it's true, "It takes a village to raise a child". It is so wonderful to connect with all the mothers on this site because we have a similar mind-frame to wanting to do what is natural, healthy and even the hard work of feeding and caring for our babies. By the way, I tried co-sleeping last night. My husband is a BIG man and when he wonked her a little with is arm when turning over, I put her in her crib. Tonight she will start off on daddy's chest. That is the way he has slept with her before and is very aware of her. We're going to try it out.

Allie
#27 of 39 Old 08-22-2002, 05:33 PM

When we first brought Annabelle home, I would put the body pillow I had under her feet as in after her toes, ont her feet *on* the pillow. It helped Darren and I "know" that she was there since she and the pillow took up an adult space : )

HTH!
#28 of 39 Old 08-22-2002, 06:58 PM

Allie,

I am glad to see that there has been some improvement. When we started to co-sleep my husband wasn't too aware of dd being there. We decided to get a mesh bed rail and have the baby sleep next to me and I would sleep in the middle (much better). On the nights when I would stay up later reading a book or something, I would put dd in the middle and watch my husband as he slept. If he was about to knock the baby's head with his elbow for example I would shake him and remind him that the baby was there. It took a while but now he can sleep next to her and I don't have to worry anymore. We try not to turn our back to the baby while we sleep.

I want you to know that playing with your daughter while staying completely topless is also a good way to help your milk production because baby will tend to nurse on and off when thirsty.

Oh, and don't worry if it has only been 2 hrs since she nursed. My daughter is 8mo and sometimes she will feed again after an hour. Remember bmilk is much easier to digest frequent nursing is the norm. Milk is constantly being produced therefore you are never truely empty even though it might seem that way when you use the pump and nothing comes out--- the pump only gets about 40% of your milk out and leaves the other 60% inside. That is why baby's suction is so important.

One question...How long does she nurse on each breast?
#29 of 39 Old 08-22-2002, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

T
How can I put this? I feel I need help with advice on eradicating false opinions on how long to nurse and when to initiate suplimental diet and it turned into an Elizabeth and Allie conversation. Even though it is also helpful for later, I would have preferred that you both e mailed each other or started a new post "building up breast milk" I don't mind looking like a twit because I need help with a different topic that I initiated.

Back to subject.
Ana nurses all the time she is growing wonderfully and I am blessed to have reinforcement that I know in my heart is right from the forum.

IN Peace, Eileen

#30 of 39 Old 08-22-2002, 10:54 PM

Sorry!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page