setting limits - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-04-2004, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 26 months old. I am not trying to wean him just set some limits in a very gentle way. I need advice and resources. Something he does that annoys me to no end is come up to me get under my shirt and pull me down to nurse. This can be anywhere and anytime. There are other things that he does as well. Besides that he still nurses A LOT! I figure after 26 months we could slow it down just a little bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-04-2004, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My dd has just started to accept "milk at home." We ask her to wait until we get home and she usually says okay. Well, I don't have any milk anymore since I'm 11 weeks pregnant but she still calls it milk. I've been offering snacks, drinks, distractions, etc. for quite a while. Luckily, when she asks for milk, people probably think she wants cow's milk. I really don't care what people think, it just makes it less awkward (sp?).

I'd suggest you try things that you would try if you were trying to wean him from some nursings, like offer him a drink, snack, distraction either when he asks or if you can predict when he asks. I'd also suggest telling him that you don't like what he's doing and that he needs to ask you in a way that you approve of. This may take a while, but you can practice at home and tell him that he needs to do it while you're out too.

Good luck, HTH.
Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#3 of 4 Old 12-04-2004, 04:45 PM

My ds is 28 months and I'm 6 months pregnant with almost no milk left...nursing HURTS!!!! I definitely have to set limits to keep my sanity. If we're home together he could easily nurse 2 or 3 times an hour....and loves to pinch and scratch the other breast while he's at it, no matter how much I discourage him.

The trick that has worked best for us is saying "OK, you can have snacks [our word for bf] for 10 (or 20) and then we're all done." Of course we have to do this on both sides, and now that he can count to 20 if I say "10" he'll counter-offer with 20. But I control how fast I count out loud, so I can make it a quick 20 if I'm really climbing the walls.

Distraction helps, but not always. I'm also trying to be firm and consistent about "snacks all done" if he bites, pinches, or scratches. I will give him a warning - "What happens if you bite?" and he'll say "snacks all done" so I know he understands, then if he does it again I end the nursing session.

HTH!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 4 Old 12-06-2004, 02:10 PM

My ds is in that "I do it myself!" stage and wants to be the one to open my shirt and bra to nurse. I tell him no because I think that's just crossing a boundary - it's one of those little things I'm just not comfortable with, like he's kinda invading my personal space a bit too much with that, and I don't like feeling like a buffet LOL. I definitely think nursing is a two way street at this age and it is part of him learning manners in general. I hate the fact that at times, discipline is a necessary part of the nursing relationship but... *shrug* ya gotta do it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page