When did your period return? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 12-15-2004, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
DD is 23 months and still no AF! She bfs around the clock still, she nurses more in a day then my friend's 9 month old dd does. It's been my experience that the thinner moms tend to get AF later,(in my circle of bfing moms, all the smaller moms didn't get AF back until around the 2 year mark) I'm pretty sure I've read it somewhere to, maybe one of those breastfeeding and fertility books. I believe it is because your body doesn't think you could handle another pg right now so you don't o. There's always exceptions to everything though!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 12-15-2004, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
20 months for me. I'm on the thin side and have thought that there might be some connection. Ds started sleeping for long stretches at 2 months (that didn't last long), I went back at to work part time when he was 4 months and my parents used a pacifier to get him to sleep for naps, and he cut down to nursing 3-5 times a day by the time he was 15 months or so. Certainly not the best circumstances to keep af away for that long. The return of af happen to coincide with the time I quit pumping. I was only pumping once a day three days a week, though, so I don't think that had too much to do with it.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#33 of 47 Old 12-15-2004, 04:38 PM

7 1/2 months for me... and we cosleep, bf on demand, the whole deal. none too happy to get it back, either! was longer and more crampy than it used to be, i hope that is not the new norm!
#34 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 01:54 PM

We are doing child led weaning . Ds is 2 years, 3 months. My period only returned a few days before his 2nd birthday. I went almost 3 years without a period. Extended breastfeeding lowers your estrogen levels which in turn lowers the risk of various forms of female cancer. It's good for you & the babe.

eta I am slim so maybe that contributed as the previous poster said.
#35 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 05:50 PM

I was so ticked when AF returned at 11.5 months w/DD (considering she was still 95+% bfed including all night long) I can't even imagine how livid I would have been if she was only 5-6 months, not to mention WEEKS!

With DS even though he was 25 months, I had been hoping to make it an even 3 years (including pg) :LOL

The general trends that have been reported:

LA lasts longer:
in subsequent pregnancies
in older mothers
in lower weight women

any others?

#36 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 08:55 PM

Ds was exclusively bf for 12 months..and my period came back after a year. As long as that seems when written down, it sure did seem like it came back quickly . Ds is 2 now and still nurses pretty much whenever he wants to.

I told dh we should put the money that I didn't spend on period supplies into ds's college fund. Have we done that yet? NO! We'll get to it!!
#37 of 47 Old 12-17-2004, 10:44 PM

I'm thin (120 lbs) and my period has always returned early. I was 22 when I had my first baby, so maybe that's it.

DD1--3 months (exclusively BF but sleeping through the night)
DD2--11 months (started solids at 6 months but still nursed at night)
DS--10 months (he was nursing tons--more than DD2 at same age)

My mom is NOT on the thin side and she would go 2 years without a period when nursing. I guess I am just not a lucky one. I also think I may just be overly programmed to have periods. I was 11 when I started and I NEVER miss periods unless I'm pregnant .

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#38 of 47 Old 12-18-2004, 02:08 PM

With my first I got my period back when he was about 10 months. He really liked solids at that point and had cut back on nursing. I also went back to school part time and was away form him more.

With my second, I didn't begin menstruating again until he was 19 months. I night weaned him shortly before this, because I couldn't take nursing for an hour every hour and a half any more. I think I ovulated within a week of cutting back night nursing to once or twice a night.

My cycles were really long at first both times.

I've only had 4 periods in 3 1/2 years and am not likely to have another for at least another year!

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#39 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 01:43 AM

I breastfed my twin daughters for 13 months but have not yet had AF. (It has been a month since they weaned.) I do not feel like I will start soon, although I would like to b/c I would love to have another baby soon. In several of the messages on this strand, members have mentioned things that could be done to get AF started, although Tired x2 noted that there are varying degrees of success with them. What are some of these methods?!?
#40 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 04:05 AM

My first ppaf happened when ds was 18 months old, and for almost 6 months I was having patches of ewcm/cramps/sore nipples as my body was gearing up for it. I actually was researching the herb myhrr on the internet for other reasons and discovered it was also an ammenogog (stimulates menstruation). I started taking the tincture in water as a tonic for yeast problems and that same month I had my first ppaf. It was actually a relief after having such crazy hormonal stuff happening for the months beforehand. My son had been eating solids for a while by that point, so I think it was the myhrr that was the final help in getting it started.

#41 of 47 Old 12-27-2004, 05:14 AM

2 years and no AF here, still waiting.

For data purposes, I am definitely on the larger side, and am 33.
#42 of 47 Old 12-27-2004, 05:30 AM

its hard to tell for me when mine came back, I bled for about 5 weeks post partum then at 7 week pp I started bleeding again, then 4 weeks after that I did again, so I think I may have had AF since the begining, LOL
I had about a 3 month break after the last and another AF then same break and AF and after that its been regular.
DS started 'sleeping through the night' at 2m, we were cosleeping and exclusively BF(he was 13months when he started eating solids, is 17months now and still nurses 6-10+ times and still cosleeps).
#43 of 47 Old 12-28-2004, 10:23 PM

I feel cheated... exclusively breastfeed on demand cosleeping, etc., ds one, AF back at 5 months, and he HATED the difference the hormones made to the taste of the milk, and we had a nursing strike every darn month when my period was due. DD, at about 9 months... I don't remember exactly, just that I was happy it was much later than with ds, and now, with ds2, I just had a period, and he's not even 4 mos. yet!

Funny, because my babies have all been big fat rolly-pollies from all the milk, too, and Reid, my youngest ds, is the fattest of them all, way off the weight charts, and so why AF?!

hurrumpf!
#44 of 47 Old 12-28-2004, 10:56 PM

Over 20 months with the first 2, haven't had it yet since ds2 was born 8.5 months ago
#45 of 47 Old 12-29-2004, 01:01 AM

:

Interesting thread!

I have been at MDC for over 2 yrs and have never heard the term ecological bf'ing. That's what we are doing (except for the daily nap thing---how I would LOVE to have a daily nap : ) and ds2 is 7.5 months and still no PPAF. I have been crampy a time or two, but that's about it. He still nurses 20+ ( ) times a day and takes very very scant amts of solids, so I can't imagine her coming my way any time soon. I guess time will tell...

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#46 of 47 Old 12-29-2004, 11:18 PM

With DS..AF returned at 16 months..pregnant two months later..
With DS..after having the IUD..I bled for about 3 months..lightly..I spot a dime size occassionally..I do get cramping and back pains ..once or twice a month..but don't ever know if I'm on my period or not.. weird!
#47 of 47 Old 12-30-2004, 12:57 AM

My moontime returned at 12m, 16m and 15m. I say "rerurned" but it was always sporadic for a while(Like it would come and then not for another 3m...) I remember thinking, "So, body, you think I'm ready for another right now? You're nuts!"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page