when did you get your first postpartum period? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: when did you get your first postpartum period?
0-3 months 42 10.07%
4-7 months 75 17.99%
8-11 months 95 22.78%
12-14 months 61 14.63%
15-19 months 80 19.18%
20 months or more 64 15.35%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 133 Old 04-20-2003, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#122 of 133 Old 04-20-2003, 11:59 PM

The first time my period returned at 22 or 23 months and I was pregnant right after DD's second birthday (I had one period). Now at 14 months PP, I am still waiting. We are done so I want AF to stay away but I keep getting cramps, bloating, breast pain that cycles every month or so but doesn't result in a period. I am heavier by 5 lbs (119 now) this time so that may be making my cycle "do something" sooner- but I don't know WHAT it is doing..:

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#123 of 133 Old 04-21-2003, 02:33 PM

I got my period back the day dd turned three months! I knew it was coming cause I had lots of mucus a few weeks before. Someone from CCLI suggested that I nurse her more to try to keep it away, but she was already nusing just about every 20 minutes! I couldn't imagine nursing her more than that - she'd never latch off! I didn't ovulate with my first PP period, but did the next month. I only had 8 periods and then got pregnant again. DD is still nursing and I'm pretty sure she won't wean, so hopefully with nursing two it will stay away longer, but I doubt it. I think it is genetic. My mom followed those 7 rules to keep hers away and she never made it to 3 months PP. She was jealous that I went so long. We are just super fertile women, I guess.

Patti
#124 of 133 Old 04-21-2003, 03:16 PM

DD#1 I got IT about 8 weeks, and dd was ALWAYS nursing day and night until weaned at 23 months. And I got to take naps with her most everyday.

DD#2 IT came back about 5 months. I am really messed up though because AF comes from between 24 and 40 days! It also took quite awhile to stop bleeding from the birth and then after I got done with that whenever dh and I got together I would start bleeding again for about 5 days after. Mw said I must have a yeast infection and so I treated for that and got rid of it. I never got to nap with this baby as dd had stopped taking naps. :-(

I am 5'8" 110 lbs, so I am very underweight, have been my entire life and it does not bother AF's regularity.
#125 of 133 Old 04-21-2003, 10:10 PM

I got mine back at 29 mos. While it was nice to have it absent, I was getting a little concerned when it didn't come back because I wanted to conceive again soon. At 28 mos I contacted Dr. Newman, wondering if it was the frequency of nursing, or the duration of each session that affected ovulation, and he said it's unusual for a mother to go even as long as I did without getting a period, but that even if the child was nursing 24 hrs a day, I would still get my period back eventually. And he was right, one month later!

He also said it was rare to ovulate before you get a period. It happens, but he said he wouldn't count on it or try to figure it out.

I got a lot of info and stats from the Couple to Couple League's book The Art of Natural Family Planning which gave a bell curve graph of when one got their period back. Depends on nursing pattern, of course, but also depends on person.

Not to worry!

PS- if you're sick of always using the diapragm, you might want to look into the Fertility Awareness Method which means looking at your temp, vaginal discharge and/or cervical position to help you determine when you're ovulating. Then you can have sex without protection on the days you're sure you're not ovulating. Pardon me in advance if you already know about this, or use it, or don't want to :-)
#126 of 133 Old 04-22-2003, 03:30 AM

I couldnt nurse DS.. he had muscle tone problems.. but I exclusevely pumped 2 months.. then for 2 more weeks pumped & suplimented .. bad choice.. I started thinking I wouldnt pump at night cause I was only getting 3 hours sleep at the most.. & by 2 1/2 months couldnt pump anymore & got my AF back at about 4 months after birth

with my DD .. i had no AF untill she was 12 1/2 months.. it was niccccccccccce. I still have it very irreguraly
#127 of 133 Old 04-22-2003, 12:22 PM

16 months and still no AF! I am LOVING it!
However, I do have PMS symptoms and have since about 12 months pp.
#128 of 133 Old 05-01-2003, 09:30 PM

You lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, girl!!!!!!
I want another baby so badly, sometimes it hurts! Money is an issue, as well as housing space. We already have a 36 month old and an 18 month old in our bed. I'm sure you're having the time of your life with your little ones. Much love!!!
#129 of 133 Old 05-10-2003, 01:06 AM

8 months and counting as soon as im done bf im going onthe shot to prevent it and i dont want another for at least 3 years
#130 of 133 Old 05-11-2003, 09:24 PM

I still hadn't gotten mine at 24 and 1/2 months when i found out i was preg with #3! Midwife asked when last period was and it was in 2000! WOW! over 3 years and no menses! I must credit Couple to Couple League's book Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing!!
#131 of 133 Old 05-17-2003, 01:55 PM

Still nursing 24month old dd and waiting for my period to return. We would like to get pregnant again in the next 6 months if possible and I am beginning to worry (just a little). It took a year of trying the first time. But you never know, every time can be different. There are some wonderful herbs out there to aid in balancing your cycle, increasing fertility, and so on. Talk to a registered homeopath about what you are worried about. Everyone responds to these differently as well. Just a suggestion, I am trying it too.
#132 of 133 Old 05-22-2003, 09:22 PM

I voted 3 months, but with dd it was 10 months... ds 3 (the baby). But he was sleeping 7-9 hours EARLY now AF is gone away again because he is up every 1-3 hours
#133 of 133 Old 05-23-2003, 06:25 PM

With my 1st boy I got my period at 4 months. I had been hoping nursing twins I would get it later. I am up nursing anywhere between 8 to 4 times a night and they try a bite of solid food every once in a while. They are both around 16 pounds and just turned 6 months old. I just got my period yesterday! I guess twice the baby meant I got to hold off a few extra months. Cramps and twins suck

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page