Dd is constantly sick this 1st winter after weaning - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 12-31-2004, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd (almost 8yrs) self-weaned this past Summer so this is her first Winter without antibodies/protection from my breastmilk. She rarely got sick before, and when she did she was sick for only a day or two. This is her 3rd cold in 1 month . She still gets over them quickly, but she's catching them so often.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this as a separate thread. Maybe to seek others who have experienced the same....or to encourage mamas to continue nursing to provide your children antibodies (to think twice if you're contemplating weaning).....or maybe just for some support....or maybe a combination of all these reasons.

I have been used to having such a healthy child, it is sad to see her sick so often. I know all the benefits of breastfeeding didn't just disappear. But I guess somehow I thought that the viral protection would last her a lifetime. :LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-31-2004, 11:49 PM

I didn't have the experience that many BFers do with regard to illness. DS from about 19 to 29 months was sick so often I lost count (colds, ear infections, the works). Through it all we BFed away, but still he caught everything and anything that happened to come along and worse, the dragged on and on and on... *sigh* But since that time, his body fights illness well and when he does get sick, he gets through it quickly. It was a rought year, but since that tough (rapid fire?) time, things have been looking way up.

It's important to realize that there are just so many viruses out there, you can't possibly immune your child to them all, but WOW, you did great in that department for a long time. Congrats to you mama for 7.5 years of nursing! Bottom line, while BFing does give many lovely immunities, catching and getting over viruses is also another way of building the immune system. It's a bummer to see them sick so often but it sounds like your DD's body is healthy and well equipped to deal with and then move on from viruses... this is a huge thumbs up! I imagine once she's through this year, next year will be better, and then the next better still. Hang in there!

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#3 of 10 Old 01-01-2005, 08:34 AM

7.5 years?? Ok...where is the "the whole entire stadium stands up and applauds"smile. Wow. Good for you

At 8 is she around other kids. Who are sick? Is she doing new things?

You have passed along a super duper kick butt immune system for your DD. That is why she is getting over colds so quickly. This year is a bad year for colds. There is a virus going around. We caught it. DS's speech therapist said it flattened his clients for 4-6 weeks. WEEKS. DS had a snotty nose for 3 weeks, I got bronchitis and DD had a runny nose for 4 days. It is nasty this time of year.

Your immunity isn't going to last her a lifetime, but because of YOU, she has a dang strong immune system that will last her entire life. You gave her a great start. Yes, she will get sick, but because of you she will not get as sick as her peers who did not BF.

You are amazing. I look up to you. Because of your story I will NOT succumb to family pressure to wean DD. I will nurse her as long as she wants and as often as she wants. I feel bad because I 'encouraged' DS to wean. He will not nurse, but he willl drink expressed BM when he is sick. And it does make him feel better.

Thank you for being a role model

#4 of 10 Old 01-01-2005, 12:38 PM

Mother Sunshine, haven't btdt yet, but I just wanted to say sorry your dd is catching those bugs. And I want you to know you've made me feel better, because I was wondering how much immunity ds (5) was receiving now that he has begun skipping a few days between nursings. Hugs!
#5 of 10 Old 01-01-2005, 01:29 PM

mother_sunshine: you know Del weaned this summer, or sometime this fall, too...today she has her first illness of the winter season, a nasty cold (woke up with her eyes glued shut--yuk!). But we HAVE been successful in keeping her well up to now this year. I've become rather insistent upon handwashing, etc., but I'm not with her all day (she's in school), so who knows how that goes....
If it's any consolation (it has been to me over the years, since dh works in a nursing home and so dd and I get exposed to LOTS of lovely "bugs" via him), I have found that any illnesses she had were generally milder than most AND short-lived. Even her bout of chicken pox at age 1 was nothin' to write home about.
I second what everyone says about the hard work you've done strengthening her immune system. I think over the years you'll see how much stronger she'll seem than other kids. Yeah, she might not fight off everything, but her system has more tools in its arsenal, if you know what I mean.

and a little Oh, and I have to bring up the stomach virus that led to Del getting iv fluids 2 yrs. ago. She had recently cut down her nursing to like once a week or so, and so for the first time did not spend the entire duration of her stomach flu at the breast...and she dehydrated. I swear I still think that is reason enough to keep nursing 'em into toddlerhood and beyond. It wasn't fun seeing a 6-yr-old hooked up to IVs. I'm sure it's even less fun to see someone younger.

Good luck with this season...we're lounging around watching the Philly Mummers parade (quite a hoot) and drinking herb tea. Love to hear dispatches from my fellow member of the 7+ weaners' club Mary
#6 of 10 Old 01-01-2005, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I feel better about it now.

Dh just had the same cold and his was horrible. Dd's is much milder. Yesterday I filled her with healing foods and today it is just a stuffy nose. It's funny because this is the first year I am homeschooling her (since pre-k anyway) and yet it is the first year she has caught every virus.

(Good to see you again Mary . I'm off to make some herbal tea, thanks for the reminder. )

#7 of 10 Old 01-01-2005, 10:57 PM
Banned

It could be just a fluke. My daughter has nursed steadily all of her 2.5 years and has been continually sick, so i'm not sure i really believe that breastmilk 'always' makes a child stay super well. But i've become rather cynical about that of late, so feel free to ignore that .

Slightly OT: But was she really getting milk at that point anyway? I thought i read somewhere that at that time she wasn't any longer.
#8 of 10 Old 01-01-2005, 11:08 PM

Dd (3) is finally well again after being sick on and off for almost a month.

She hasn't been sick often, but the times she wasn't feeling well over the past three years I was so glad she was nursing.

The times she was sick didn't make me cynical about benefits of EBF... I am convinced that it helped her get through it faster and it was easier on her.

mother_sunshine, thank you for the inspiration you're giving to so many!! and I'm glad your dd is getting over her colds quickly!

#9 of 10 Old 01-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Chi Mama

The times she was sick didn't make me cynical about benefits of EBF... I am convinced that it helped her get through it faster and it was easier on her.

mother_sunshine, thank you for the inspiration you're giving to so many!! and I'm glad your dd is getting over her colds quickly!
I know, and there were times she'd have been hospitalized i'm sure if not nursing, so really i am grateful. Just worn down by all the illness that bf was 'supposed' to prevent. Damn tonsils!
#10 of 10 Old 01-02-2005, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithHannahsHeart
Slightly OT: But was she really getting milk at that point anyway? I thought i read somewhere that at that time she wasn't any longer.
Yes, she was getting milk up until the end when she weaned. The amount decreased gradually over the years but never diminished until the end when she cut down so much that I stopped producing.

Chi-Chi Mama

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page