nursing for only 5 minutes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-06-2005, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering if anyone knows an answer to my question: i have a 3 month-old who only nurses for about 5-10 minutes on one breast only!!!! and only about 5 times a day...he seems to be doing well--happy and alert. But my concern is that maybe he's not getting the full amount of breast milk that he should be getting because he only nurses for 5 minutes at a time!
#2 of 7 Old 01-06-2005, 04:57 PM

As long as the babe is still having plenty of wet and dirty diapers I wouldn't worry. My dd did that too at about the same age. It lasted a week or so before she hit a growth spurt and had a few nurse-a-thons again.

Good luck and

-Angela
#3 of 7 Old 01-07-2005, 06:16 AM

the nursing on one breast only for 5-10 minutes is totally normal and healthy(and I prefer and recommend it as you dont ever have to worry about a foremilk imbalance) as for the 5 times a day... do you cosleep? are you SURE its only 5 times?(DS nursed while I was asleep and I didnt even know it :LOL )
But the 5minutes is normal on one side since first come formilk then comes hindmilk and if you arent switching a whole bunch they can suck them both out quickly. DS has dont the 5minutes on 1 breast ever since he was born and it wasnt until he was around a year he started needing both breasts
#4 of 7 Old 01-07-2005, 10:34 AM

I have an almost three month old that does the same thing. During the day he rarely nurses for more than five minutes at a time and only on one side at a time. He also doesn't seem to nurse very frequently either. Often (but not always) he'll have one or two longer nursing sessions in the evening. We cosleep but he's getting to the point where he's beginning to sleep through the night without wakingat all to eat. Now, that'd make MOST parents happy, but it only makes me worry even more! :LOL However, whenever I find myself worrying about how much he's getting I look at his fat little face and realize that he must be getting plenty!
#5 of 7 Old 01-07-2005, 01:35 PM

Five minutes, by itself, is not a problem. I'm assuming DS is not getting any solids, so if he is growing well & hitting developmental milestones (& wet & poopy...) he is obviously getting enough. *I* though, because he is already such a rare nurser would allow NO other sucking opportunities if possible--- pacifiers, sippy cups, bottles, etc... Basically, I'd be afraid he would loose interest rather easily. And just be ready for his needs to go up at any time!

Good luck!

Kay

#6 of 7 Old 01-07-2005, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

i'm glad to see that other babies are quick nursers as well...i'm not giving my little one any other sucking devices, i.e. pacifiers, etc. however, i'm trying to get him to take the bottle, just to see how much milk he takes at a feeding...and also, so i can run a few errands without having to take him and his sister along....so far, he absolutely HATES the bottle. i've tried practically every kind out there! any suggestions?
#7 of 7 Old 01-07-2005, 07:44 PM

Personally I'd not introduce a bottle right now when your babe is nursing so little already- just me.

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page