Calling for Breastfeeding Book recommendations! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2005, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please tell us your favourite bf book and who wrote it! We want to make a sticky of great and useful bf books that encompass the many aspects of the bf journey!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2005, 01:57 PM

for anyone having problems, big or small:
Dr. Jack Newman - The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers (I think it's published under a different title in Canada)

for the average new-mom-to-be:
Dr. Sears - Breastfeeding Book

I didn't like LLL's book, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding when my first was little and unable to nurse because it made me cry every time I read it. But, after my 2nd DD has had no problems at all nursing, I can see how it would be a really good book for a woman who just needs some information and support, and is not faced with any serious difficulties. I would not recommend that book to anyone who has any serious breastfeeding problems, or who had a cesarean, or who plans to return to work. There are better books out there that address those topics. JMHO
Old 01-13-2005, 02:15 PM

In addition to the books above, I love "Bestfeeding: getting bfing right for you". It has lots of great photos and illustrations that show both good and bad positioning and latches, to help you develop your "eye". The women are sitting, lying, all different kinds of positions, and are all different sizes and shapes (and so are their breasts LOL!) I like that there are no hard and fast rules about positioning in this book - just guidelines to help find what works for you.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:13 PM

I love the format of The Nursing Mother's Companion (Kathleen Huggins), with the specific steps to remedy specific problems.

Also, Mothering Your Nursing Toddler.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
Old 01-13-2005, 07:03 PM

So that's what they're for! Breastfeeding Basics by Janet Tamaro

Its got all the instructions with a great sense of humor.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
Old 01-15-2005, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Great! Keep 'em coming!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:22 PM

The Canadian title for Dr. Jack Newman's book is "Dr. Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding", by Jack Newman and Theresa Pitman. Everyone should read this book, I wish I'd read it BEFORE I started breastfeeding, rather than after we were already having problems. I would have been much better prepared. And his advice on weaning/extended breastfeeding/introducing solids etc is all so common sense. I have started giving that book at baby showers, and recommending it to all women I know who are expecting.

Alison
Old 01-16-2005, 08:31 PM

La Leche's Womanly Art of Breastfeeding really made me prepare mentally and emotionally for what was lying ahead in my nursing relationship. Not having been accustomed to seeing anyone nurse it was an eye-opening book in many ways.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:56 AM

I second (or is that third) Dr. Newman's book The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers.

I have never owned a bf book myself, but I gave this book to my sister when she was pg, after asking others for recommendations. I finally got to look at it properly myself when I visited last summer, and it looked great. My sister said it was excellent and she used it a lot.

Incidentally, my sister took the book with her when she went to hospital to give birth (in Whitehorse, the Yukon) and the nurses got all in a tither. Apparently the good Dr. Jack had given a lecture on bf there recently and they were all thoroughly impressed by him.

Also, he gets major brownie points for answering questions by email (at least, he used to).
Old 01-21-2005, 05:52 AM

Nursing Mother, Working Mother by Gale Pryor

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Old 01-21-2005, 11:31 AM

La Leche League's Mothering Multiples is a good bf book for people with twins or more.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:07 PM

Another vote for Working Mother, Nursing Mother - it saved my sanity - and I've given copies of it to 3 friends and my sister!
Old 01-23-2005, 10:05 PM

The Nursing Mother's Problem Solver, by Claire Martin. I've read a bunch of nursing books and found this one to be the most practical for finding specific, concrete information. I did like the Sears Breastfeeding Book, too.

--Meredith
Old 01-24-2005, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I love "Bestfeeding: getting bfing right for you"
I second this, that book helped me and my cousin...it was wonderful...lots of pics and specific cases to help troubleshoot problems!
Old 01-27-2005, 07:06 PM

I like and recommend Gale Pryor's other book, the one she wrote with her mother. I am sorry I don't have the title but will provide soon. I thought it had the best researched and most interesting information. I liked it in that I found I was the best-informed after reading it and it made the biggest impression on me: after I read it I was more impressed by how good breastfeeding is for you and your baby than after reading anything else. However, not as good as a how-to book. But I believe you are better off hiring a good lactation consultant that trying to figure it out solely from a book.

Nursing Your Toddler is good for nursing beyond babyhood.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:10 PM

I third the Bestfeeding book. It was a real help, BEFORE I had Dd. That just can't be stressed enough. Take a course, read a book, hang with other breastfeeders. Make it a reality.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:21 AM

I've read a few, and would wholeheartedly recommend The Nursing Mother's Companion. It is a great book for the first few months and beyond.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMomma

I LOVED this book. My now three yo was a nightmare experience! After the typical two weeks of bleeding, scabby agony(apparently SOP for me, happens every time), THEN, horror of horrors, we had YEAST At 6 weeks old, we were still hitting the roof at every latch on, and pumping pink milk, not to mention the excruciating deep tissue pain, with no hope in sight. Finally, internet searches put me in the right direction.
But, I can say with absolute certainty, that if I hadn't been reading that book, I would've quit. But DS weaned himself to a sippy cup at 11 months, and I felt triumphant!
Old 02-05-2005, 10:18 PM

It is so helpful for troubleshooting, especially for latch issues. Nobody else talks in such practical, real detail about things like Mom's posture and how it affects things. (Plus the new editon fixed those typos that plagued my first copy!)

I also wanted to make sure everyone knows about Thomas Hale's book, Medications and Mother's Milk. He is a pediatrician who has dedicated himself to the question of what truly passes through a mom's system and into her milk, and how this affects her baby.
I think every doctor's office should have this book on hand, but most don't. Any time a doctor tells you you'll have to wean or pump&dump in order to take a medication for yourself, make sure s/he's checked into this resource! A new edition comes out each year. If the office doesn't have a copy of the book, there is a website with a terrific catalog of information. Only health care providers are allowed to register to ask questions, to enable Dr.Hale to keep up with the volume of mail- so check there to see if your question is already addressed, and if not, get your provider to go there for you.
Here's a link:
http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-b...s&access=guest

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Old 02-25-2005, 09:06 PM

My favorite by far has been "So That's What They're For!" By Janet Tamaro
Old 02-27-2005, 04:42 PM

I liked How Weaning Happens by Diane Bengson. It is about natural weaning and has a lot of stories of how mother's weaned. I found it to be great support when nursing and weaning my toddler.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:55 PM

I Love that book recomendation Boosmom! I am going to totally check that out. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2005, 03:35 PM

Hi.

I'm new to the forum. I have a 19 mo daughter who i am still bfing. We've had serious supply issues from week one and have had to supplement with formula for her first year.

Anyway, here's a title that may help others with supply issues. It isn't your "typical" breastfeeding book....and would be of interest mostly to those with supply issues. Hope it helps others.

http://www.mother-food.com

Regards,

Terri
Old 04-13-2005, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I read ALOT of books when preparing to nurse and when I had tons of problems with my first...my favorites by far were:
-The Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins
-Nursing Your Baby by Karen Pryor and Gale Pryor (this little paperback may get overlooked due to it's mass paperback look but it was a great bk IMO)

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:03 PM

hi-
I loved "Mothering your nursing toddler"
Don't remember the author.

It really spoke to me at a time when I didn't know a lot
of other mom's nursing toddlers.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:52 PM

Babies, Breastfeeding and Bonding by Ina May Gaskin
Out of print and may be $ but great!
Old 05-05-2005, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMomma

#1 in my opinion! I owe my breastfeeding success to that book.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:14 AM

I had some serious problems being overengorged (My 2 day old couldnt eat because he couldnt latch on because I was overswollen) I thought it would all come naturally...and didnt read anything about breastfeeding before Wyatt was born. Ooops!
I learned quick, quick, quick. It was a pretty tough experience for our family for one day. Thanks to that book(which my mom left on my kitchen counter) and a very helpful angel Lactation Cousultant via telephone everything has gone wonderfully ever since.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:17 PM
SHK

I second/third/whatever...Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and also Dr Sears books. I also found breastfeeding forums to be a valuable source of information when I was getting started!
Old 06-25-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlah
I also wanted to make sure everyone knows about Thomas Hale's book, Medications and Mother's Milk. He is a pediatrician who has dedicated himself to the question of what truly passes through a mom's system and into her milk, and how this affects her baby.
I think every doctor's office should have this book on hand, but most don't. Any time a doctor tells you you'll have to wean or pump&dump in order to take a medication for yourself, make sure s/he's checked into this resource! A new edition comes out each year. If the office doesn't have a copy of the book, there is a website with a terrific catalog of information. Only health care providers are allowed to register to ask questions, to enable Dr.Hale to keep up with the volume of mail- so check there to see if your question is already addressed, and if not, get your provider to go there for you.
Here's a link:
http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-b...s&access=guest
I was so amazed and happy that Hale's book is out there!

I also recommend The Nursing Mother's Herbal by Sheila Humphrey. It was helpful for figuring out which herbs I can still take for my seasonal allergies.

Since my DD was born 13 years ago, I've been happy with LLL's Womanly Art of Breastfeeding for general information.

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)

User Tag List