Mothering Forum banner

What bras do you end up using after years of nursing?

1K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Fiercemama 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I love Bravado for the comfort, but most of my Bravado nursing bras are now 2-4.5 years old. I machine wash them, so it's amazing IMO that they've lasted through such use! LOL Now I'm just trying to decide what size to wear now, because my breasts seem more like my pre-pg size (even after 40 months of nursing).

Just curious, when your child is nursing to 3yo, 4yo, 5yo and beyond... do you get tired of nursing bras and choose regular bras? I guess most kids that old aren't nursing as frequently as a 2yo, but I don't like just pulling a bra up or down as the pressure on my breast is uncomfortable.

If anyone has any brands they want to suggest, I'm open to ideas!

#2 ·
I gave up my Bravados after four years of nursing (when the Bravados bit the dust) and moved on to the Blue Canoe Jane tops which are almost like a real bra. I like these much better than the Bravado and have been using these for my last nursing years!

#4 ·
I've taken to wearing support camisoles. I just pull them down. I don't think it would be much of an option for a very large-breasted woman, but I float between a B and a D cup. I find them much more comfy than regular or nursing bras, they keep my sides/belly warm when nursing in winter, and double as semi-outer wear in summer (when I often pair them w/ an open button-down short sleeved blouse).

#5 ·
I wear "soft" sports bras now with no underwire. Regular bras just still aren't quite comfy for me, and I'm just a little bit bigger than my old ones anyhow.

My Bravados are almost destroyed now after 3 yrs of constant use, but boy were they worth the money!

#6 ·
Ds is 18mos. old and a couple of months ago I stopped wearing Bravados, I wanted to get more shape. So I wear Victoria's Secret bras (with underwires), but only when we leave the house or have people over, otherwise I wear no bra or a tank top with a shelf bra. If I need to feed him and I'm wearing a VS, I just slip down one strap and pull down the cup part.

#7 ·
I recently replaced my nursing bras with front-hook bras. I simply unhook as many as needed for nursing and leave the bottom part hooked. I find this is actually easier to manage than a typical nursing bra that leaves me totally "hanging out" after nursing in public.

I find myself doing a LOT of nursing at Hebrew School on Sunday mornings the weeks they aren't able to provide babysitting!! Then everybody tells me how well behaved he is to sit quietly through a 1 hour class. I don't jump at the opportunity to tell them I'm breastfeeding this friendly little chatterbox, but I don't hide it either.

#8 ·
Well, first I have to scoop my boobs off the floor and into the bra . . .

I really like the Maidenform brand cotton bras-- there is one that is basically like the "shelf" part of the support camisoles. Also like the Jockey no-wire soft cup. Very easy to pull up/down for feeding and super comfy too.

#9 ·
Believe it or not I love Kmart's brand of cotton nursing bras.. I think they're called New additions Maternity or something like that. It's the only thing
I go to Kmart for...when they're 25% off or Buy 1 Get 1 50% off. I nursed ds for 3 years and on month 29 for my dd. They hold up great and I just toss them in a lingerie bag and wash and dry them with the rest of the whites, no delicate cycle.

#10 ·
Wow, I'll have to check Kmart... a friend was telling me they have cute maternity shirts now. I ended up ordering an Elle Macpherson bra (waiting for it to arrive because I had to exchange for a smaller size) and two more Bravados.

They've new and improved the elastic band on the Bravados, they're softer now.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by busybusymomma
They've new and improved the elastic band on the Bravados, they're softer now.

I was wondering if they had changed the elastic! I saw a mama at the YMCA in the locker room with a bravado but the elastic looked different than mine and I didn't want to say anything cause, you know, you aren't suppose to notice...
Does it get that fold in the middle still?

I wear my bravados when I don't care about the squished boob look. I wear a Bali soft cup I converted for nursing. Or two Balis I haven't gotten around to converting so I just wear them loose and pull them up. I hate seamed cups and I have large breasts so I don't have a lot of options available in straight nursing bras.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubertulip
Gosh, after nursing almost 2 yrs, I can rarely be bothered to wear one at all anymore. It's just in the way, :LOL
I'd trip over my boobs if I didn't wear a bra!!! I even wear one to bed (ok, I use a leisure bra as a pajama top.)

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kari_mom
I was wondering if they had changed the elastic! I saw a mama at the YMCA in the locker room with a bravado but the elastic looked different than mine and I didn't want to say anything cause, you know, you aren't suppose to notice...
Does it get that fold in the middle still?

I wear my bravados when I don't care about the squished boob look. I wear a Bali soft cup I converted for nursing. Or two Balis I haven't gotten around to converting so I just wear them loose and pull them up. I hate seamed cups and I have large breasts so I don't have a lot of options available in straight nursing bras.
Well, I can't say for sure because my boobs are shrinking (gotta love extended nursing, I'm losing the big boob look) and I have to exchange them for another size. I think it won't fold anymore, felt really nice. The elastic was the right size, but the cups were too big. I'll report after I get the right size. I'm LOL... I guess that would be weird if you approached a mom and asked her about the elastic! :LOL

I wear my bras to bed too. I'm a C/D ish cup the first year or so of nursing and after that more like a B/C, but my boobs just feel so heavy and I don't like them flopping around while I sleep!

#16 ·
Wow, I hadn't thought of this issue in a long while! I stopped using nursing bras at about a year or so. The few I had started getting really our of shape and as my boobs have been shrinking...

I wear Victoria Secret bras, underwire and I have a couple of cotton underwire bras that can easily be pulled down or up.

Funny I stopped wearing nursing bras by day, but while pregnant and nursing I became addicted to the nighttime comfy bras (JC PENNEY). DS doesn't nurse at night anymore and my boobs are so much smaller than they ever were and I don't really need them but I still like how comfortable they are at night... better than wearing nothing!

#20 ·
After a year and a half, my breasts got smaller, but they are still not down to the normal 40DD. So I'm still wearing this Fancee Free:

http://store.yahoo.com/breakoutbras/fanfreexsupn.html

But since I don't pump anymore (yaaay!) and am at less risk for blocked ducts, I also got an underwire nursing bra:

http://store.yahoo.com/breakoutbras/leadladnurun1.html

I have to say that it's not as comfortable as the underwires I used to wear before nursing.

I also have some old bravados but I only wear them around the house because they give me mono-boob. The nursling likes them though!

#21 ·
I used Bravado's in the first few months of nursing, but I really didn't like the lack of support. I was pretty droopy even before DD! I need more than a bit of stretch cotton to keep the girls in line

I live in Canada, and unless you are willing to spend a bucketload of cash, there are not many choices. Most department stores carry ONE model (and you just know they are those ones where you boob pokes thru a little hole). I did spend the money on a really nice cotton proper nursing bra that I loved, but I could only afford one. I wore it into the dust. I really needed cotton after all kinds of thrush and nipple problems.

But after that, I couldn't stand to spend the money on another nursing bra. I found a soft cup regular bra that I really like at a dept store. This was probably as DD was getting to be about 2. I just pull up, and its fine. A lot of the soft cup, no underwire, or sports bras just don't give enough support (I'm a D), but this one works great for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.