Breastfeeding is draining me... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-15-2005, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is almost 10 mths, and I love nursing, but I'm feeling generally unhealthy. I've been sick several times in the last few months (although, I started taking colostrum, and haven't been sick since.) I weigh 10 pounds less than I did when I got pregnant, which is OK- I'm average size. I'm a vegetarian and did not eat meat during pregnancy but am beginning to crave it now. Anyone else dealing with these feelings? I was walking everyday until a few months ago and want to get back to my routine, but I'm just worn down. Weaning NOT an option.

Aspiring midwife-mama to 2 beautiful homebirthed boys ages 3 and 6...
#2 of 8 Old 01-15-2005, 01:29 AM

Are you taking any prenatal vitamins? Can you take a nap with your babe during the day? I'm no expect, so that's about all I can suggest, but I do offer my support and sympathy!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#3 of 8 Old 01-15-2005, 05:26 AM

The prenatal vitamins and taking a nursing nap are good suggestions. Let your house go sometimes. I also am vegetarian and have been for almost 9 years. I am not sure how you eat or what you eat. You may need to increase your protein and carbs. Usually if I am feeling drained I will grab some trail mix or string cheese and try to take it easy. Sometimes a cup of Mothers Milk sweeten with a little honey can pick me up. If you are craving meat my assumption would be lack of protein. There are many protein sources of soy, if you can eat soy, I found out I cannot, or have some yogurt,eggs,so on. If I remember right while pregnant or breastfeeding you should have about 100 grams of protein a day. Check what you're eating, if it doesn't help perhaps you should see your doc to have blood tests done, your Iron may be low. There are a few different things that can be going on, so my suggestions are natural prenatal and increasing proteins. Oh also remember that since your bfing you should be eating a bit more (healthy) to supply your body and your milk. Hope this helps.
#4 of 8 Old 01-15-2005, 12:48 PM

I second the pre-nate vits. and also a B-complex.. I am not a veggie, but when I start feeling run down I take a B-complex and it picks me up by the next morning.. I think the feeling of being drained oculd be from a protein or b vit. deficiency...

I hope you are feeling better soon..

Warm Squishy Feelings..

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#5 of 8 Old 01-15-2005, 12:52 PM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

A Natural Guide to Pregnancy and Postpartum Health
by Dean Raffelock

Get this book and give it a good read thru. Someone on the boards here recommended it to me and it's EXCELLENT! i was dealing with a lot of brain fog and lethargy, and i've used some of the info in the book to get myself back to normal again.

heartbeat.gif

#6 of 8 Old 01-15-2005, 01:11 PM

I agree with the pp. You may be deficient in certain things not provided in a solely vegtarian diet. Check out this link http://www.powerhealth.net/selected_articles.htm

HTH

Roxanne
Daniel 8/9/03
#7 of 8 Old 01-15-2005, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I doubt that weaning would have been a suggestion here hon

A good site to check out is www.vrg.org They have information on diet for pregnant and breastfeeding vegetarians.

I also totally agree with taking an afternoon nap with your baby if you're home and able to do that. Taking care of a baby of any age is tiring and a nap should help.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#8 of 8 Old 01-15-2005, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good advice. I have started back on my prenatal again. I think it does help. Also, I know I need to eat better. That has been a big challenge for me. I was working part-time to help make ends meet (dh is a grad student,) and that was making me not eat at all, plus the house was a wreck. I tried bringing babe to work, and it wasn't a good experience as he likes to "talk" and our office was a quiet place- acupuncture/yoga. It didn't work. Then, dh keeping him while I worked. Now that I'm at home full-time (teach childbirth classes here and there) I feel like I have more time to eat. Nevertheless, dh is out of town right now, and I've just been eating rice cakes with tahini and honey! I did make some eggs with broccoli, cheese, and nutr.yeast for breakfast. Bfast is usually the easiest time for me to get a good/cheap meal in. We qualify for WIC, but I wouldn't eat the non-organic stuff- no other WIC options in our community. Ds is napping now, and I guess I should go lie down with him. Oh, I've been having neck/back problems and have had a numb toe since ds was 3 months (no doubt from an extra large in-arms babe.) AND may hair is all turning gray! Thanks for listening. I just needed to vent- motherhood is sooo demanding...and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Yeah for mamas!

Aspiring midwife-mama to 2 beautiful homebirthed boys ages 3 and 6...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page