the ewwwwwwww factor - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2005, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
when someone says ewww to me i've just learned that we probably have totally different views and this is just my chance to expose them to all the other options in child-rearing so i'll say" yeah we nurse, probably till shes four, two at a time, and we use cloth diapers, sleep TOGETHER, won't spank, and homeschool! by this time their jaws are on the floor!!
: Oh man, that was good. I must remember your line for when I am out and about with DD (except I'll sub cloth diaper for EC - hahaha that will get them roaring!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
starmama- Who knows....I never said her reasons made any sense....LOL. She is just incredibly anal about her looks and her body and anything that MIGHT interfere with her working out, or tanning, or cause God Forbid stretch marks, etc etc Who knows her thought process. All I know is she'll tell anyone who will listen how much she paid for them and makes sure they pop out of every shirt she owns. She's not very maternal is all I guess. Each to their own. All I can think of every time I see her is WOW, you show yours so voluntarily and thats considered "beautiful", but me nursing is gross, and I am the one who should cover up? Something is worng here....???

FTR, She isn't a horrible person just COMPLETELY different than me. She is still a person and I kinda feel bad talking about her. : She just is one of those INTERESTING ones in my life is all.

Jennie
Middle Mamma
Old 02-02-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Once at a baby fair, someone came up to the La Leche League table and said that breastfeeding just didn't seem natural.
And on the eighth day God created Walmart so that Adam and Eve could buy bottles and formula for their children.

Hmmm...
Old 02-02-2005, 03:29 PM

---CryPixie---
In a way, this woman does know what she's doing. She thinks her other foods, ?formula?, caused her kids' allergies.

---middlemama---
you know, a total stranger violating your space sounds pretty bad. But when I picture some shopper purchasing granola, I realize I would be tempted to do the same thing. Just with different foods.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:51 PM

I taught high-school until I was great big pregnant w/ds. My girls were fascinated...my boys were completely mortified. I think my belly called to mind the fact that their TEACHER, an ADULT, had SEX! Talk about Ewww...

However, after ds was born I took him back to school to meet everyone and hung out for lunch. I was so impressed that not one of my boys (or girls for that matter) even batted an eye when I nursed him. And this in a very mainstream non-nursing community!

My response to the "ewwww factor" (which I must admit I have encountered very rarely) is to smile sweetly and serenly and say something like "Oh...it is the easiest and most wonderful thing about being a new mother." I find that if I am so serene and confident and give people a great big grin and say something positive...they just don't know how to respond.

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

Old 02-02-2005, 04:57 PM

It would be hard to resist not getting snarky with such a comment....which surely comes from lack of knowledge, but still.....

You could always say "Breastfeeding for the first year raises their IQ by 10 points. It would be hard to justify depriving my child of that advantage... but hey, you seem to be doing ok with out it! You're only a little ignornant and a bit rude..."

Heidi
Old 02-02-2005, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
"It tasted pretty good to me when I tried it...?"

I think that would get an entertaining response

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elelvee
---CryPixie---
In a way, this woman does know what she's doing. She thinks her other foods, ?formula?, caused her kids' allergies.

---middlemama---
you know, a total stranger violating your space sounds pretty bad. But when I picture some shopper purchasing granola, I realize I would be tempted to do the same thing. Just with different foods.
Did I miss something? What's wrong with granola????
Old 02-04-2005, 11:06 AM

Can you believe that people actually believe that bf is gross!!!??? My MIL is definetly not supportive and is constantly freaking out that my step-son of FIL might catch a glimpse of my boob...I have to "Hurry! Cover with the blanket!" They make it soo hard sometimes to give their granddaughters what they need most. My SIL is pregnant now and says its "too much of a hassle to bf". I tried to explain the hassle ofall those snotty noses colds and allergies but to no avail.

I have had people give me disapproving looks but no actual eeeewww's. I just apologize for giving my dd's the goodness God intended. The eeeewwww's might make me ugly!!! :LOL

Oh and thanks for the reminder about cows milk....I am no longer allowed to drink it because of my dd's cows milk protein intolerance and you just made it a bit easier.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonBaby
Did I miss something? What's wrong with granola????
I like granola...
Old 02-08-2005, 02:07 PM

ahahahah so many good comebacks-i took note. i already have gotten the EWWW from my family! grr!

JEN

JEN, Hoopdancin' mama to Mairi Elizabeth 12/04, Catriana Quinn stillborn 41w 1/07 and our rainbow Elijah Asher 3/09, wife to Keith for 9 years.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:44 AM

I think I would just take a deep breath and start off by telling her that's kind of a rude way to express her opinion. Then, I would ask her why it's so gross? Honestly, she probably just doesn't know any better. If she's not open-minded about learning. I would just say that I didn't want to talk about it anymore and dhe dhouldn't start conversations that she wasn't sincerely interested in.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:57 PM

I say something like "How else would I feed her?" or "Do people actually use that formula stuff these days?!?"

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
Old 02-09-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
I drink cows milk and when I think about the amt of puss in most cow's milk I get :Puke At least I know I'm healthy!

Ok, I don't know if I can ever drink milk again.

I agree with what the other ladies have said. I would most likely give them a dirty look and tell them to "grow up" or something to that effect.

User Tag List