the ewwwwwwww factor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you say to someone when they ask if you are breast or bottle feeding and you say breast and the make a face or say "eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww, I could never do that, it's so gross." I get so offended I never have a good responce. Any suggestions?

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#2 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 04:11 PM

"How is it gross to use my breasts as they were intended? What else would I do with them, make a commercial for beer?"
#3 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My DH says to people all the time "we dont need anything, we have cloth and a set of boobs" :LOL

If someone goes in the ewww factor with me, I say stuff about obesity and bonding and I say something like "and she sleeps with us" I like the shock factor more than making my point. The look on their faces are so funny. I dont get as much ewwww factor with BFing as I do when people see I use cloth.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#4 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 04:28 PM

I have never gotten that response! Well, most people know I breastfeed, I make no secret of that, and I am very outspoken in defense of breastmilk.

I would probably say something like, "have you ever read the ingredients list on a can of formula? Now THAT'S gross!"
#5 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 04:33 PM

How about "Have you smelled formula or changed a formula diaper?" In my opinion, that is eeeeeeewww! Formula and formula diapers stink!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#6 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 04:51 PM

I honestly can't image what I would say-- no one has ever been that blatant around me.

I would be tempted to say something along the lines, "Wow, you don't *look* ignorant."

#7 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Wow, I have never encountered anyone who said eeewwww. I presume this person has never had a baby, because breastfeeding is certainly a lot less gross than, say, pregnancy or birth!

Okay, I know, it's a miracle, it's not gross. Okay. But come on, there is involuntary pooping when you give birth. Breastfeeding is just cuddling a sweet-smelling, gorgeous baby up to your warm torso and looking lovingly into their eyes. aaawwwwwww.....

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#8 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
I would be tempted to say something along the lines, "Wow, you don't *look* ignorant."
: I love that! I am going to use that one when someome says something about toddler nursing!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#9 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 06:30 PM

If they thought it was gross, why did they even ask.

That's not so much ignorant as rude.
#10 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 07:06 PM

My darling, dear sister is somewhat ignorant regarding BF. She has a 14 month son and was a proud formula feeder. Once I shared my desire to BF my son at least until he is two. She said, "That is totally gross!" Oye! She's young and uneducated when it comes to mothering. Oh yeah, she is pre-CIO. : I guess it's my job to educate.

Mama to 2 CRAZY boys
#11 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Once at a baby fair, someone came up to the La Leche League table and said that breastfeeding just didn't seem natural. :

Really, I would probably ask them what was gross about it. I would want to get into their warped little mind.

Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#12 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 08:18 PM

I have had that said to me twice, I got annoyed and snapped at her " well, I would never wear that dress but I guess we're just differant". Not sayong you should say something mean her reaction just annoyed the hell out of me.
The second time was at a wic office and the lady was going around asking the mothers if they were BF or FF. She asked one women if she was breastfeeding a dn the woman said" god, no!" in such an obviously ugly matter , again I snapped. Whe teh wic lady came to me and asked breastfeeding or formula I told her " breastfeeding, I don't feed my babies crap". And made an icky face. The other lady turned red as I wanted her to do but unfortunatly I probably offended the other two woman also since I was the only one nurisng.

Not saying you should say something mean I just hate to hear something like that and usually my mouth speaks beforemy brain can follow. Well, to each their own is okay to say.
#13 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 08:24 PM

I've started responding with, "Do you drink (cow's) milk?"
If their answer is yes, "Do you think that is gross?"
If the answer to that is no... "well, consider that in order to get that milk, the cow is fed with antibiotic laced feed, which often contains ground up bits of other cows (true in the US). Then that cow is hooked up to a machine that pumps that milk into a vat. From the vat, the milk is pumped into a truck and transported to a dairy processing plant, transferred into a holding tank, run through tubing, pasteurized by heating, and then transferred into containers that may or may not be completely sealed, then transferred to a store where you buy it.... I see alot of chances for contamination there. At least I know where my child's milk has been." and if that doesn't get them, I make the point that we are the only species that routinely takes the milk of another species and drinks it into adulthood.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#14 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 08:46 PM

Well as far as I'm concerned, cow's breastmilk is even more ewwww. And the smell of a formula fed baby? Um, EWWWWW!
#15 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 08:58 PM

Eww is the smell of formula... it's so sour! I don't understand how ff moms stand the smell... have they ever tasted that stuff? blech! And the diapers? toxic.

[insert apologies and such to moms who *can't bf*, I mean absolutely no offense to you my dears]

What would I say? Hopefully something intelligent, but being me I'd probably just stutter and stammer. I have confrontation issues :LOL

I'd love to say something like "Have you ever tasted formula?" or "yea, what am I thinking?giving my dd what nature intended? I should definately switch to an inferior, man-made second rate imitation right away" or maybe even "grow up."
#16 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Well as far as I'm concerned, cow's breastmilk is even more ewwww.
I drink cows milk and when I think about the amt of puss in most cow's milk I get :Puke At least I know I'm healthy!

#17 of 44 Old 01-30-2005, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafl
I have never gotten that response! Well, most people know I breastfeed, I make no secret of that, and I am very outspoken in defense of breastmilk.

I would probably say something like, "have you ever read the ingredients list on a can of formula? Now THAT'S gross!"
I love that response!

Mom to Iris and Henry
#18 of 44 Old 01-31-2005, 12:00 AM

If someone said "Eeeeewwwww." I suppose I might say, "I didn't know you were still in high school."

When people have been less than supportive, I have told them, "You do realize that milk at the supermarket comes out of the boob of a COW? In fact, a cow that is most likely kept in horrendous conditions, pumped full of antibiotics, and who has several active infections."

I must say, it has put it in persepctive for some.
#19 of 44 Old 01-31-2005, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
I drink cows milk and when I think about the amt of puss in most cow's milk I get :Puke At least I know I'm healthy!
Eeeew, that just halted my trip to the kitchen for oreos... rats.
#20 of 44 Old 01-31-2005, 12:59 AM

when someone says ewww to me i've just learned that we probably have totally different views and this is just my chance to expose them to all the other options in child-rearing so i'll say" yeah we nurse, probably till shes four, two at a time, and we use cloth diapers, sleep TOGETHER, won't spank, and homeschool! by this time their jaws are on the floor!! :LOL
#21 of 44 Old 01-31-2005, 06:47 PM

Dmitrizmom--
I am in a Yahoo group for people who want to get clean, healthy sources of milk. RawDairy members are people seeking organic milk from grass-eating, humanely raised animals. On the Campaign for Real Milk, there is a directory listing sources by country and state.
#22 of 44 Old 01-31-2005, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofshmoo
If someone said "Eeeeewwwww." I suppose I might say, "I didn't know you were still in high school."
Wish I'd had that one for the HR lady with 3 children, one of whom she was BF (3 months older than mine) who thought it was "disgusting" and was only doing it because of the allergies in her older kids and in her family.

This - from HR - as I'm trying to find a place to pump!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#23 of 44 Old 01-31-2005, 07:34 PM

Oh man! I'm so glad no one has ever said that to me!
#24 of 44 Old 01-31-2005, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C
Wish I'd had that one for the HR lady with 3 children, one of whom she was BF (3 months older than mine) who thought it was "disgusting" and was only doing it because of the allergies in her older kids and in her family.

This - from HR - as I'm trying to find a place to pump!
What is HR?
#25 of 44 Old 02-01-2005, 02:01 AM

I get the ewww thing all the time. For some reason, maybe its the circles I travel in, I am the only person I know who has nursed other than one friend and my midwives. My mother didn't grandmother didn't, etc etc. I wonder how Arizona rates on BF, I think it might be a VERY low percentage state. Anyhow, I only have 1 child and am due with #2 here any day. So the first time around I was SO incredibly quiet about nursing because I was too focused on doing it and blocking out the neg comments. But this time around I imagine I will be more outspoken. For one thing I have MDC and I didn't then. And I am just older and more confidant in my choices, I think. I had awful things happen to me while nursing DS. One woman actually began taking things out of my grocery cart in the store after she asked if I was bfing and I said yes. She started taking tomatoes, tuna and onions and some chocolate ice cream out of my cart declaring that I COULD not eat these things if I was nursing. And she was just one of a few who did things like this to me.

Anyway..I can't wait to be armed with some of the responses posted here. It will be great fun this time around as I won't be nearly as intimidated as last time. :LOL

My one aquaintance wouldn't bf simply because she believed it made her boobs look ugly. Well la ti da! She had a lift and enlargement after her hubby had v sect. She wasn't getting pregnant again because of the horrible things it does to your body! Well I declare! LOL...poor woman. Shes one the education would be lost on ya know? They don't WANT to know. They want to live in their blissfull ignorance so they can parent in their CONVIENENT way. I would never waste my breath on someone llike that.

Jennie
Middle Mamma
#26 of 44 Old 02-01-2005, 02:15 AM
Banned

Nobody has ever had the NERVE to say anything negative to me about BFing. If anyone ever had the NERVE to say eeewwwww, I would probably slap them. I'm not sugesting this as your solution; probably not the best way to proselytize, but there you are.
#27 of 44 Old 02-01-2005, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlemamma
One woman actually began taking things out of my grocery cart in the store after she asked if I was bfing and I said yes. She started taking tomatoes, tuna and onions and some chocolate ice cream out of my cart declaring that I COULD not eat these things if I was nursing. And she was just one of a few who did things like this to me.
What nerve! Who the heck did she think she is?
#28 of 44 Old 02-01-2005, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Once at a baby fair, someone came up to the La Leche League table and said that breastfeeding just didn't seem natural. :

Annette
I am so blown away by those kinds of statements. If it was someone who had given birth I would have to ask if they slept through the part where milk started coming out of their breasts on it's own???
My MIL thinks bfing is so gross she has to look away when I nurse and always asks me how long I'm going to do "that". I always give her my standard "as long as she wants" and she just gets the most disgusted look! Imagine, a woman who chain smokes (and did through all 5 of her pregnancies) telling me feeding my baby is gross! She's gonna *love* the "human milk for human babies" sticker I ordered for my car. LOL!
#29 of 44 Old 02-01-2005, 07:47 AM

How about, "You know what I think is more disgusting? Feeding your baby food made from powdered milk that's meant to make a baby cow gain 300 lbs mixed with corn syrup."
#30 of 44 Old 02-01-2005, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlemamma
My one aquaintance wouldn't bf simply because she believed it made her boobs look ugly. Well la ti da! She had a lift and enlargement after her hubby had v sect. She wasn't getting pregnant again because of the horrible things it does to your body! Well I declare! LOL...poor woman. Shes one the education would be lost on ya know? They don't WANT to know. They want to live in their blissfull ignorance so they can parent in their CONVIENENT way. I would never waste my breath on someone llike that.
So then wouldn't it not have mattered if she "ruined" her boobies, since she got them "fixed"??

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page