thrush in one breast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-11-2005, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK is it possible to have thrush grow in only one breast? I have horrible pain in left nipple it used to only be when she latched on but now it is doesn't go away. I noticed today she has white patched inside her mouth in the front portion of her mouth. Also do you have to go to the doctor for this. I am going to try the herbal remedies but i don't have insurance and would rather take care of it naturally.
#2 of 7 Old 02-11-2005, 04:15 PM

That sure sounds like thrush to me I did vinegar solution & GSE solution before resorting to nystatin (that's nott too expensive - under $20 for each, the liquid and the ointment) which didn't work, so now we're on the diflucan which was $118. Everyine says the GV is the best, but I couldn't find any locally. I'd deffinatley try that if you can get it!!! If the pain is deep in your breast, I think you may HAVE to go to the Dr...... someone else will chime in here with more knowledge. Good luck! Don't forget to wash bras & bedding in hot with vinegar to kill the yeast & boil pacifiers/nipples if you use them for the baby.
#3 of 7 Old 02-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Banned

You can also get Candistatin powder from over the counter at pharmacy.

This is a form of Nyastatin but you can rub in baby's mouth, on your nipples, etc. You can mix with water to rub if you wish.

It is thrush it sounds like. GV is best if you cna find it-though messy.

Good luck.
#4 of 7 Old 02-11-2005, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

thanks. I just went and bought gv acidophlus and vinager can anyone tell me what the vinager wash consists of?
#5 of 7 Old 02-11-2005, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Also what is GSE?
#6 of 7 Old 02-11-2005, 11:30 PM

First......thrush is awful and I am so sorry you are dealing with it. We had it.....dd in mouth and me only in one breast. I have tons of advice on this subject so please feel free to ask

The vinegar wash I used is 1 part white vinegar to 9 parts water. You replace it daily. I bought a plastic squeeze bottle with a pop-up top for ease of use on nipples. I applied it after every feeding and whenever I leaked and noticed. I changed pads all the time, added vinegar to the wash, and treated anything that had touched breastmilk with the vinegar wash. Also, I used OTC monistat 7 yeast treatment on my nipples after the vinegar. Any that was left visible I wiped off before feeding dd the next time.

Make sure that you treat your dc for the entire time you treat yourself. I needed the Diflucan because my infection spread to my milk ducts (deep, sharp, burning, stabbing pains that were so intense I had to scream into my pillow)......my INS covered it....it is expensive. Hopefully if you are careful now it won't get that bad.

Good luck and please let me know if I can be of any more help!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#7 of 7 Old 02-12-2005, 07:23 PM

We just started dealing with thrush in my 9 week old and myself .. both breasts I am glad I found the thread... I have been in SO much pain the last 2 days. My poor dd also has colic, so she is getting stuff my syringe ALL day and night .. BabyDophilus, Nyastatin, and gripe water.
I am starting to wonder if we should introduce a cup of some kind..anyone have any experience with giving a baby this young a cup?

Now, off to make some vinegar wash and add gse, acidphilus, and monistat to my shopping list

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page