Mothering Forum banner

Would you continue?

640 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Ahappymel 
#1 ·
If all you could pump at one time (both sides) was 2oz, (after a time span of at least 4 hours) would you bother to continue pumping or just switch entirely over to formula?

#4 ·
my son gets mainly formula at daycare, but I try to pump during the day when I can, and can usually get 4-6oz total for the day, enough for one bottle. Then he nurses overnight, if needed. Mainly just comfort nursing or to quench his thirst. He's almost 9 months old, and he's had formula supplements from his first week due to my low supply. I've just tried to pump daily for him as it pains me to give him formula, but I know he needs it for the nourishment so he gets as much as he'll eat. Sometimes the pumping gets old and I wonder why I bother. He will only nurse if he's very tired and I'll full.

#5 ·
Keep up the great work mama!!!

You are doing a great thing!

It can be hard. Be good to yourself!!!

#7 ·
There would be a number of questions I asked myself, such as:

Is this a primary food source or supplimentation?
Is my child nursing at the breast?
How old is the child?
Do they take cows milk formula well?
Is there a history of allergies in the family?
What have I done to increase my supply?
What kind of pump am I working with?
How often am I pumping?
*Why* am I pumping?
Etc...

For me, 2 ounces would have been a lot to pump after the first few months (except a few rare engorged times) but I was nursing full time, so I don't really know. It doesn't really matter either... what matters is what is best for *you* in *your situation.* If it wasn't really driving me crazy, though, even a bit of bmilk can make a difference!

#8 ·
Is he getting any bottles at home? I had to supplement w/ my oldest, but I still bf him for 13 mos (we're talking about 16 ozzs or so of formula a day). I agree, any bm is better than none. If you wanted to, you could quit pumping at work and just bf all the time at home, you don't work 7 days a week do you? Weekends are a great time to get more bm in him.

#9 ·
Why are you pumping? Are you working?

I'll be the dissenter and say: I'd definitely continue nursing, but I might drop the pumping. I probably gave up pumping at work around 10 months and went over the formula. I still nursed on weekends and in the evening though. We are still nursing at age 2. I made a pact with myself when she was 6 months that I would stop measuring my self-worth by what flowed into the little bottles. So I stopped obsessing about supply. I just stopped looking at how much went in. Whatever I pumped, she was going to get the next day. If she was short, she'd just have to nurse more in the evening.

Have you done all the supply boosting things? How much water are you drinking? Are you eating oatmeal? Getting enough rest yourself? Is your pump in good shape and not losing suction? What else ladies?

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by T a r a
If all you could pump at one time (both sides) was 2oz, (after a time span of at least 4 hours) would you bother to continue pumping or just switch entirely over to formula?
I know it's hard work, Mama! I've been there! At first I could only pump 1 oz total! Then it was 2 oz...as time went by, my body learned to respond to the pump...the pump is not nearly as efficient as your baby.

I had to get used to pumping...I found this method to be helpful prior to pumping and I made more milk:

1) Be in a relaxing place of course and a picture of my baby nearby really helped.
2) Wash your hands and begin to massage your breasts, one at a time, in little circular motions toward the nipple. I would also visualize nursing my baby, think about holding him and how cute his little mouth was around my nipple : )
3) I would lean forward and shake my breasts back and forth as a second step. Shaking down the milk helps I believe.
4) Using the flat of my palms I would rub them in circles against my nipples until I felt a tingly let-down sensation. Then I would put my cones on and pump : )

This really improved my volume and after a while I was able to stimulate 2 letdowns and pump 6-8 oz.

Pumping takes practice and you will get better with practice and frequency.

Good luck to you!
Mel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.