LUmpy breast after weaning - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-10-2005, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont know if this thread belongs here if it doesnt please move.

I weaned my dd almost a yr ago. I will start with saying my left breast over the last few month has been achy. I havent payed a whole lot of mind since it comes and goes I never attributed it to my cycle i never payed much mind i should say. I have noticed a spot in this breast that feels thick or lumpy kind of like milk glands when they are full. I did have this area ultrasound a couple yrs ago for comfort by my midwife and it come back ok. I was still nursing at the time. Well the other day my breast was sore and I kinds was rubbing it when I renoticed that spot again and obviously got nervous My dh says its always there and i guess he is right but I just figured after weaning so long ago these ducts would be gone. My left breast doesn not have them however she always nursed more off the right breast I couldnt get her comfortable on the left bresat it just felt akward. I had my mom feel the spot she had breast cancer many yrs ago she is the only one no ohter history. So It does concern me. I am gonna make an appointment after my cycle this month I want to see for my self if the spot changes after my cycle and I should be starting this week. I have been creal upset of this and worried can any one offer anything simialr to settle me for a bit till i can see a Dr.

My mother says this feels nothing like her cancer did. I know there are variations hers was hard this is soft and squishy feels like glands, hers didnt move this does hers didnt hurt or ache and mine is a bit achy or was isnt now. That does give me some reflief but i wanted to talkt o other nursing moms and see if you have any milk glands that swell or ache.
I also get an occasional tingle in my nipple. HMMM
thanks for listening

amy
#2 of 4 Old 03-10-2005, 11:52 AM

Amy, I'm not a health expert, nor have I weaned yet, but I do have experience with lumpy breasts so I thought I'd offer a comment. I actually noticed that mine didn't hurt so much when I was pregnant and in the earlier months of nursing, but now some of the old lumpiness seems to be returning.

There are many things than can cause lumps in our breasts, and so many of them are benign. Do a search on "fibrocystic breast condition" and you can read quite a bit about it.

Of course, though, we need to get new stuff checked out just to be safe, and it is so hard not to worry. But since it sounds like that's what you were planning to do, I hope you can have some peace until then, and that all will turn out well.

Melissa
#3 of 4 Old 03-10-2005, 01:10 PM

I am middle-aged, 49 to be exact, in peri-menopause, but still regularly cycling and some months still my breasts do get very tingly, almost achy in the week or so before a period.

My mom had some lumpiness in her breasts in her 60s which turned out to always be benign cysts.

Have a mammogram if you are unsure.
#4 of 4 Old 03-10-2005, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

I am gonna get it checked. I am waiting after my cycle just to see if there is any change for my own peace of mind but it is time for my check up any how so I wilkl have it checked. I dont know about mammograms thjey make me nervous and my moms cancer didnt show up on a momogram they couldnt see it and my mom said NO its there I can feel it and Dr could feel it but Mommogram showed nothing there so good thing my mom insisted and they did an Ultrasound. I will let you all know how it turns out I am so scared.

I am 32 and not getting any younger thats for sure.

amy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page