Would you agree to do this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-10-2005, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been working for nearly 9 years at a pretty conservative, large, global consulting firm. I went back to work when my twins were 1 year old on a part-time schedule (Mon-Wed 9-3). I am currently on matenity leave, not sure how long I'll extend my leave for this time but I'm not going back anytime soon.

My firm has just received an award for supporting work-life balance of our employees. The director of corporate HR just called me and asked me to represent the firm at the awards dinner at a swanky hotel downtown in a few weeks. I'd have to be at the dinner (obviously) and go onstage, give a little speech, etc., etc.

I told her that I am on maternity leave (she didn't know that) and nursing, and well, where I go, baby goes too.

Unbelievably, she was okay with that. I mean, I know the award is for work-life balance, but at my company that means allowing people to leave at 5pm not bringing a baby to an awards dinner LOL! :LOL

Anyway, she said she still wanted me to do it if I could and yes I could bring the baby. I have to let her know within the week.

Now I am the one freaking out. Would you go? Am I nuts to suddenly feel shy about putting on a fancy suit, walking into a room filled with stodgy corporate types with me wearing a sling, and nursing a gurgling baby while saying "I'll have the ribeye" ??!! Can you friggin imagine trying to get a newborn to latch on in a sling while standing at a podium?!

Would you go??? Am I totally lame for even thinking of passing up this opportunity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-10-2005, 06:43 PM

What says "work-life balance" more vividly than a mama in a fancy suit nursing a gurgling baby??! Give those stodgy corporate types a glimpse of what a balancing act REALLY looks like. (And I'm not talking about letting them see your nursing bra) Go for it.
#3 of 11 Old 03-10-2005, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Only do it if you feel comfortable, but I say it sounds like an awesome opportunity to really show your corporate coworkers what a happy baby and mom look like. Any chance to give slinging and breastfeeding and family-friendly work life more exposure is great!
#4 of 11 Old 03-10-2005, 06:54 PM

Yes, go for it if you want!

My employer's not winning any awards or anything, but I have to say that watching another woman in my department sling and nurse her baby at work for a period of months before and during my pregnancy emboldened me. So, maybe you'll give confidence to another family looking to find a way to work it out!
#5 of 11 Old 03-10-2005, 06:54 PM

go for it. your siggy makes me think you got your hands full so i'm bettin you could handle it what kinda sling you gonna show off?
#6 of 11 Old 03-10-2005, 07:00 PM

I'd totally do it!!!!!!! (But I also love to give speaches and can't pass up an audience :LOL )

Kitty

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#7 of 11 Old 03-11-2005, 11:51 AM

If you can feel comfortalb enogh to do it then DO IT!!! it will look great, you since your baby is so young then s/he will prolly sleep the whole time if in a sling, i use to sling allison to all my buisness meetings as a parent represetitive at my son's school still do some of the meetings !!!
#8 of 11 Old 03-11-2005, 11:56 AM

Do it!!!!! Go shopping, find something wonderful to wear. Dress the baby in the most adorable outfit you can find. Wear your sling I think this is a wonderful opportunity for you. Think of it as a career move as well. Obviously, the company thinks very highly of you and feels you represent the values that have helped them achieve this award. Dress to impress, give a warm speech, and have a great time.
#9 of 11 Old 03-11-2005, 12:11 PM

I think I would do it, but like you I might be a little bit nervous about nursing right out there in front of all the corporate bigwigs (as a fulltime working mom, I totally get that). I might try and see if I could get the babe to eat right before hand (maybe get there a little early and nurse). If it's in a really nice location the ladies' room might have one of those nice lounges where you can sit if you're nervous about NIP (those lounges are the only restroom locations I'll nurse it). Or, alternatively, see if they can seat you at a table in the back (instead of the front where they normally would sit the speaker) and ask if you can select the people at your table so you can choose who you're most comfortable with. You could also (as a way to fill your table) ask if your DH could come and maybe your parents and other kids. If they really want YOU, they'll be willing to agree to some slight modifications to their normal plans. And having your family all there would only reinforce how wonderfully they balanced they are.

PS where can I find a company like that to work for?!

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#10 of 11 Old 03-11-2005, 12:53 PM

I would use the sling, but also take another adult as a "baby holder" for the actual speech, and in case she fusses and you can't step out immediately. I usually NIP everywhere, but given the kind of event, I might look at who I was seated with first. But likely, since you sound like you'll be the only one from your firm there, I'd do it anyway. I'd plan the sling and the outfit for easy nursing.
#11 of 11 Old 03-11-2005, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

OK ladies you convinced me. I'm going to do it.

Now I have to find something great to wear.

I'm going to use my beautiful Didymos I got for Christmas. It's a beautiful ivory woven pattern (Indio brown/natural).

Potential problem: I have never BF'd in a sling before ... I know this sounds funny but my twins never nursed in the sling b/c they had bad reflux and would spit up everywhere. Now with this baby, I have been using the Kangaroo Carrier fleece pouch in the snuggle/kangaroo position when I run a quick errand with him or am outside with the twins. He's only a month old and so far I've just been nursing in bed or on the sofa, and the one time he woke up to nurse while I was on an errand, there was a bench nearby and I just took him out and nursed him there.

I have a lot of learning to do apparently. I knew this was coming, but I have to get smart on nursing while slinging pretty fast! (Any suggestions welcome )

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page