need to wean quickly--advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-12-2005, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 14 mo. I was diagnosed w/ breast cancer on Thursday. Friday, I had a CT scan & took drugs that require me to stop nursing for anywhere between 24 hrs & 72-96 hours (depending on who you ask) (isovue & gastrografin). I haven't nursed her since 11:30 a.m. yesterday. She clearly wants to nurse, but, amazingly, has fallen asleep w/ cuddles.

I am faced with a choice: is it "gentler" to wean cold turkey, or over the course of, at most, 1-2 weeks.
#2 of 21 Old 03-12-2005, 10:34 PM

{{{{hugs}}}} I think weaning over the time u can would be much better than cold turkey sounds like she will do just fine that way and it will be less tramatic for both of u I think. U will have less ingorgement that way snd she wont get as upset. I hope u do great with ur treatment.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 21 Old 03-12-2005, 10:37 PM

mama, hope things get ok for you!! If i were in your shoes and you have already not nursed for over 24 hours you may as well go cold turkey if it's hasn't made you dd to upset over it. how often was she nursing??? how much food does she eat, what other kinds of milk have you given her? Good luck with it and i hope things get better for you and she gets through this rapid weaning easliy for your sake and hers!!!
#4 of 21 Old 03-12-2005, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thinking of you - (((hugs))). I'd say wean over the time you have. It will give you both a little time and your breasts a little time to adjust w/ hopefully less risk of mastits.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.
Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#5 of 21 Old 03-12-2005, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

DD nursed very regularly--5-6xs per day & irregularly through the night. she does enjoy solids too. she's had dairy products & whole cows milk for the first time today.

I don't even know if it is really all that safe to nurse her right now because of the CT drugs...

thanks for your help!
#6 of 21 Old 03-12-2005, 11:02 PM

and : to you mama!
#7 of 21 Old 03-14-2005, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

So, here is what is happening... DD has not nursed since Friday. We both miss it, but she is coping amazingly well. I have decided that at this point it will likely be more confusing for her if we nurse again. I have visions of her trying to figure out why mommy nursed this time, but not that time. If I had several weeks to wean her, I would probably approach this differently.

It has been helpful to give her a big snack right before bed & to keep a sippy cup with water available at night.

DD never took a bottle well until Friday night, so I didn't have a stock of milk in the freezer. I did not foresee a circumstance where I would not be available to her, so I wasn't concerned about it. In retrospect, I wish I had stored some milk. It might have helped to ease this transition.

I appreciate your help & advice & hope that this thread will be helpful for other people.
#8 of 21 Old 03-14-2005, 08:07 PM

What a tough time for you.

At your daughter's young age she might definitely still want/need that sucking. Could you give her other kinds of milk in a bottle?
#9 of 21 Old 03-15-2005, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

3girls1boy--you are so right. I was thinking before all this came up that she is no where ready to wean. I'd hoped to go well into the next year & maybe beyond.

I hadn't even considered a bottle since she has not been fond of it in the past. We tried it last night & this morning. She was a little resistant, but did end up emptying it both times. This morning, I wound up singing a song to her that helps her calm down & she really took to the bottle. I am so grateful for your suggestion! I hope that the bottle helps her meet her sucking needs.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded. I understand in my head that we are done nursing, but my heart hasn't quite gotten there yet.
#10 of 21 Old 03-16-2005, 04:21 PM

I have nothing to add,really. Just wanted to say that I'm glad you found something that worked for you. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way...and wishing you a speedy recovery.
#11 of 21 Old 03-16-2005, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nothing to add but hugs and good thoughts for you and your little one.
#12 of 21 Old 03-16-2005, 08:10 PM

I ended up using sage tincture and cabbage leaves to help my breasts make it through the sudden weaning....
#13 of 21 Old 03-17-2005, 12:50 AM

good luck & I hope everything goes well for you
#14 of 21 Old 03-17-2005, 02:22 PM

Good luck mama. I am so glad that you have found something that works. ...sending healing thoughts

darkstar
#15 of 21 Old 03-17-2005, 02:29 PM

I just wanted to add there has been at least one other thread about this same situation (in case you want to look for it), and I know a mama IRL who had to wean under similar circumstances (she is now healthy and doing great! yay!)

You're in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#16 of 21 Old 03-19-2005, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it's been just over a week. I cannot believe it. DD is doing ok. She still nuzzles in. The bottle is helpful. It's funny, I never thought of a bottle as a tool to help me continue to breastfeed. If I had, I might have stocked up on frozen milk.

I wish that I could say DD is totally unaffected, but that is not true. Last night she woke up & pretty much screamed. The only thing that calmed her was standing & rocking. When we tried to sit or lay down, she got upset again. DH wound up watching a Teletubbies with her. Finally, they came back to bed, she took a bottle & went back to sleep. The screaming is not normal for her. Her nose has started running & in retrospect, I think that it all got to be a little too much for her--on top of weaning, she's cutting molars & appears to have a cold. Most of the time, she is her normal, content little self.

It means so much to me to have your support. I appreciate the healing thoughts and warm wishes. It really does make a difference.
#17 of 21 Old 03-19-2005, 01:16 AM

Just found this thread, and wanted to send healing thoughts your way.

It sounds as though your DD is doing beautifully in this difficult situation. I must say, that my DD has always really been amazing just when I have needed her to be so. I think they must have an inkling when mamas and dads have something big and important going on . . . . .

Holding your family in the light . . . .
#18 of 21 Old 03-20-2005, 10:51 PM

How are you doing auntiM? Have you found out anything more from the tests? I'm so sorry for you and your family. I am a cervical cancer surviver but it's not the same. I was able to have surgery and continue breastfeeding. Let us know if there is something more we can do to help?

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#19 of 21 Old 03-21-2005, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Foreverinbluejeans, no, it is not quite the same, but still scarey for you & yours & I'm glad that you made it through. I don't really have a whole lot more info. I have to go in for another mammogram because the original was so unclear due to my milk. Hopefully, the new one will be clearer. It's the first time I've actually felt that there is a positive side to weaning.

As for what you can do, please hold good thoughts for me & my family & all of the other women engaged in this battle. It does help me to think that my story will remind women to go in for their annual exams & take their own health seriously. I hope that is the case.
#20 of 21 Old 03-29-2005, 11:54 PM

auntieM=i'm in a similiar boat right now and wanted to send s your way. how are you all doing?
#21 of 21 Old 03-30-2005, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Myrrhmaid, things are going better than I could have hoped. She has taken to a bottle well & it is helping her to get her sucking needs met. She seems to understand that we are not nursing now. She does still kind of root a little, but isn't angered/upset when I don't nurse her. I just hug her in close & give her lots of loves. We shower together & I had been wearing a tank to cover myself. I didn't for the first time today & it wasn't an issue.

As for me, I'm doing ok. I feel a twist everytime I read someone else's post about nursing. I think that my milk is pretty much all gone. I start chemo tomorrow & am both thrilled & horrified.

I hope that you are ok. How old is your dc? If you have any questions, please ask. I will do my best to help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page