Birth Control Pill and Nursing - Mothering Forums
Breastfeeding > Birth Control Pill and Nursing
allismom's Avatar allismom 10:57 AM 03-29-2005
Hello.......DD is 25 months old and is 99% weaned.........I say 99% because she asks about once a week and will nurse for about 30-60 seconds. Is it safe for me to go off the mini pill and on to a regular doseage? Or do I need to wait until she is totally totally done?

And then what if she relapses or wants to nurse again?

KoalaMommy's Avatar KoalaMommy 01:00 PM 03-29-2005
my understanding is that if you start the pill you will most likely lose your milk. However, I also understand the mini pill can cause headaches once you stop nursing, so I guess it's mostly a personal choice for you.
mnnice's Avatar mnnice 02:02 PM 03-29-2005
While maybe not recommended by everyone. I personally did not have regular birth control pills damage my supply and I nursed my son for another year while on bc.
stafl's Avatar stafl 02:20 PM 03-29-2005
Yes, most women who take any medication that contains estrogen do lose their milk or at least notice a very marked decrease in supply. This may lead to weaning, no matter what you do about it. It's up to you. It's totally your decision to make. How do you feel about that? BCPs also do come through the breastmilk, so your child will be exposed to them that way, too. There is no evidence that it causes harm, but no evidence that it doesn't either. Hormones are very powerful drugs, use them wisely and know the risks. I strongly urge you to read all you can about the dangers and risks associated with taking artificial estrogen/estradiol. Get the patient info sheet for the particular medication you will be taking, and read it and understand it before taking the first dose. Discuss everything you don't understand with your doctor. If your doctor or pharmacist won't give the info sheet to you, they are violating the law. But you can find it in a pdf file at www.fda.gov too. There are lots of other more major risks associated with taking estrogen than just losing your milk supply.
allismom's Avatar allismom 04:22 PM 03-29-2005
Thanks for the advice, but before having dd I was on the pill for almost 15 years. I think it is one of those things that one year they say helps reduce your chance of cancer and the next year they say it increases it. I wish they'd get it right. LOL
stafl's Avatar stafl 04:25 PM 03-29-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by allismom
Thanks for the advice, but before having dd I was on the pill for almost 15 years. I think it is one of those things that one year they say helps reduce your chance of cancer and the next year they say it increases it. I wish they'd get it right. LOL
just educate yourself on the available information. don't take your doctor's word for it either way. There have been lots of studies done, and the information is available for anyone to read. FDA, the patient info sheet, and www.pubmed.com are all great places to find what the evidence really says. Doctors have a conflict of interest when it comes to big pharmaceutical companies, do your own research before thinking it's perfectly safe. It's not just about cancer, there are other problems associated with artificial hormones, too.
allismom's Avatar allismom 10:17 PM 03-29-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by stafl
just educate yourself on the available information. don't take your doctor's word for it either way. Doctors have a conflict of interest when it comes to big pharmaceutical companies, do your own research before thinking it's perfectly safe.
Oh so true! I do tons of research regarding dd's health and ALWAYS ALWAYS question the doctor......guess I should do so for my own health too. Back to my original question though.......would 30 seconds a week of her nursing really be getting that much horomone into her?
stafl's Avatar stafl 11:12 PM 03-29-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by allismom
would 30 seconds a week of her nursing really be getting that much horomone into her?
probably not. I think the biggest risk as far as breastfeeding is concerned would be early weaning. You did great to make it past two years!

I know I'm biased because of how hard it was to get DD1 to nurse in the first place I'd never do anything that would lead to her weaning earlier than she would wean on her own. But I also have a huge problem with artificial hormones, too, because of my own health problems that bcps only made much worse (when they were and still are often touted as a remedy). You do whatever is right for you!
TiredX2's Avatar TiredX2 12:24 AM 03-30-2005
At that point I would probably feel comfortable w/the regular pill (well, we actually used FAM which I HIGHLY recommend, but I digress).

Just wondering--- are you having your period? I would hesitate to rely on the mini-pill once I was ovulatory, anyway.
allismom's Avatar allismom 10:12 AM 03-30-2005
Like I said, DD is 99% weaned, so I don't think of early weaning as an issue. She asks once a week, sometimes I oblige, sometimes offering a snack distracts her. When she does nurse it is for about 30 seconds. My goal was one year, so I went a year longer than that and feel pretty good about it.

I am getting periods on the mini pill.......about 2 a month which I am sick of. I know it is not very reliable the way I am taking it (forgetting alot!). Actually m y doctor recommended that patch since I am forgetful.

I am curious, what is FAM? And if you don't prefer BCP, what do you use?

DH and I are considering TTC within the next 6 months, so this is going to be a very short term thing anyway (only another month or so).
Up