I think I"m getting my period at 9ish weeks PPD! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-03-2005, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ack!!! My baby was born Feb 1st, and I bleed for about 5.5 weeks, and then spotted another week. I was fine for about a week and a half, and now I'm bleeding agaiN!!! My baby gets NO artificial nipples (bottles, pacis), sleeps beside me, you know, all of that stuff :LOL Why is it coming back now? W/ my first it came back at 9 months, but took several months to start ovulating (got PG the first month I o'd). I had planned to use lactation amenorhea (however it's spelled) to prevent PG the fist 6 months, and now I'm not sure what to do? Do I need to start temping now? Could this just be some fluke? I started spotting a bit Friday, and it was actual period like bleeding yesterday and today. At my PP visit the Dr. said all looked fine, so I don't think there are any problems. Is this even normal, or should I go get checked out again?
#2 of 18 Old 04-03-2005, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
join the club and we'll commiserate on our misfortune over that pesky AF coming for a vist way too soon! mine came back at 9 weeks PP this time, too and that was only 3 weeks ago. it is on the rare side, but not a medical anomaly. around 6 weeks you could spot when all the PG hormones leave the body, but you and me, we got the real (RAW) deal. we will probably have irreuglar cycles and likely won't ovulate, but that of course means having to take temps and chart. or at least check mucous signs unless you want irish twins. i know i don't!! one theory is that it was just a "cleansing" AF and that it doesn't indicate true fertility is returning, but another theory is that it means you are super healthy and your bod is saying that it could support a nursling, fetus and you. interestingly enough, my new baby was conceived immediately following a miscarriage with no normal cycle in between. i was "sure" that after the miscarriage i wouldn't get PG because my body would want to build back up the nutritional stores so i ignored NF rules and didn't pay attention to my charts. then when a new cycle never started, i took a PG test and that little plus sign is asleep in the sling right now. also, mine came back at 4 mos. and was irregular and anovulatory for several months then with my first baby and they say it comes back earlier each time. i think that means i could get PG while i'm PG next time!!! :
#3 of 18 Old 04-03-2005, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

My DH also said I must be super healthy for it to come back now And NO I don't want Irish twins I'm contemplating calling for the minipill, but I hate hormonal BC. I got a diaphram, and planned to just use that in conjunction w/ NFP when I became fertile again. I kept hoping it was something else, but now I'm pretty sure it's AF. Thanks for joining my pitty party, crunchyconmama Sorry AF came back for you, too It stinks!!!
#4 of 18 Old 04-03-2005, 07:59 PM

Join the club, mama. 5 weeks pp, and AF reared her ugly head today. *sighs* Same as with both my other kiddles.
#5 of 18 Old 04-04-2005, 12:09 AM

ecological breastfeeding with baby #1.
baby #2 was born 11 months later.
LAM is not cool. you just have no way of knowing if you are that one percent...i dislike the literature that says your chances of conceiving are 'virtually nil'.
virtually nil my butt...
#6 of 18 Old 04-04-2005, 12:30 AM

I feel your pain. I had lochial bleeding for 7.5 weeks, return of AF at 9.5 weeks. No artificial nipples, co sleeping, nurse on demand etc, etc. I've been like clockwork ever since then too. I'm the weirdo at LLL meetings who complains about supply dip premenstrual and how my hormones seem to affect his moods and how it makes my nipples H-U-R-T!

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#7 of 18 Old 04-04-2005, 02:42 AM

I have to join this club :
AF returned 5 weeks PP and DD nurses every 1.5 hrs!!!! I have to say that I was really hoping it wasn't really happening, but 30 days later, here she is again...
I sort of feel ripped off, yk? :
#8 of 18 Old 04-04-2005, 07:43 AM

WOW! My AF returned today at 10 weeks PP and I thought it was only because I still pump a lot for dd who still can't seem to take a full feeding at the breast. Good to hear it can mean I am healthy!

I feel ripped off too! I hate when my hormones return. No wonder I have been depressed and criying all weekend! Going to make a pan of brownies now. I bet they won't last 2 days!
#9 of 18 Old 04-04-2005, 08:25 AM

I stopped bleeding for 2wks, then I noticed spotting. I was worried b/c I had had a small infection and passed some big clots, so I called my midwife, and she said not to worry, it was just AF. I was GUTTED! I had been looking forward to at least another few months before it came back. Funny thing was though, I only got it every 3 mnths until I stopped BF.
#10 of 18 Old 04-04-2005, 05:02 PM

It may mean you are healthy but it is even more important to space your babies because you don't have the months of no periods to build up your iron stores. The World Health Organization is recommending at least 3 years between babies for the health of the mother, the pregnancy, and the child that may still be nursing.

It may mean you have enough body fat that is storing enough estrogen for your period to start.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#11 of 18 Old 04-04-2005, 05:14 PM

Just a vote to say it might just be spotting! I was in the same place as you after my dd. About 9 weeks pp I was sure I was starting back up again... but nope. Just some random spotting. I'm nearly 8 months pp now and no sign of AF!

good luck!

-Angela
#12 of 18 Old 04-04-2005, 06:09 PM

Hi-
Sorry about the af thing - I too am confused about what is going on with my cycles.

I just needed to respond though to the 'irish twin" comment. Whenever there is a term that includes a whole group of people used to connote a negative thing (or positive for that matter) you can be sure that is is derogatory.

In the case of "Irish twins" or "Irish triplets," the slur was actually a triple-whammy, implying that the Irish were more likely to bear children in quick succession because of the Catholic Church's proscription of birth control, less likely to restrain themselves from procreating, and unable to understand the proper meaning of the terms "twins" and "triplets."

Take care!

Carla
#13 of 18 Old 04-04-2005, 06:20 PM

I hadn't finished bleeding at 9 weeks ppd. It kept on and off and ended right around then.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#14 of 18 Old 04-04-2005, 07:31 PM

After both of my children my AF returned at 5.5 and 6 weeks pp. Not what I would have planned....... :
#15 of 18 Old 04-04-2005, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyconmomma
they say it comes back earlier each time.
Really? My experience was just the opposite. I went 4m the first time (not sure exactly when I ovulated but I know I conceived when Leah was 8mo!!) Then I went 6m while tandem nursing, and I went 7.5m after ds was born (and I suspect I might have gone longer if I hadn't been so excited about feeding him solids.)

I thought that amenorhea would tend to last longer with each baby because fertility declines with age.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#16 of 18 Old 04-05-2005, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacarla
Hi-

I just needed to respond though to the 'irish twin" comment. Whenever there is a term that includes a whole group of people used to connote a negative thing (or positive for that matter) you can be sure that is is derogatory.

In the case of "Irish twins" or "Irish triplets," the slur was actually a triple-whammy, implying that the Irish were more likely to bear children in quick succession because of the Catholic Church's proscription of birth control, less likely to restrain themselves from procreating, and unable to understand the proper meaning of the terms "twins" and "triplets."

Take care!

Carla
i had never heard this phrase til i had two in a year. all of a sudden, everybody loved saying it to me!
i've grown tired of trying to get people to leave it behind...
thanks for mentioning.
#17 of 18 Old 04-05-2005, 06:17 PM

Ruthla - lucky lady! i don't really know the fertility status of an exceptional number of women, but all that i do fit that "they say it comes back earlier each time" thing, myself included, until you!! the newest issue of "compleat mother" has an essay about cherishing menstruation because of it's meaning (womanhood, health, etc.) but i just am not there. unfortunately i am in the thinking that it is a nuisance. but i am working on that!
#18 of 18 Old 04-07-2005, 12:02 PM

Count me in- I had my periods back when my EB son was 5 1/2 weeks old! And got them like clockwork until we conceived dd 1 1/2 years later. Now I'm EB my dd and she's almost 14 weeks old- and no sign of AF whatsoever! Of course, I've been craving spicy food, eggs, and salt like crazy- things I craved with both ds's AND dd's pregnancies, so I'm probably just pregnant instead! My dad and his sis are "Irish twins" so I guess it would be fitting if I got my own!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page