The biting is making me mad! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-18-2005, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so my 4th child is a biter! I have not had one of these before. He is only 8 months old, but I am wanting to stop nursing him. It is making me nuts! I have EBF all my other kids, but if he keeps this up his is off the breast. He has a lot of teeth for his age, and he is always biting things and people.
My other kids would bite things, but never me! It is like I am a teething ring or something. I mean he bites so hard that I yelp out in pain! I worry he might bite off my nipple! :LOL
What can I do? I really don't want to stop nursing him, but just this evening he has bit me 6 times!

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#2 of 12 Old 04-18-2005, 02:38 AM

My 17 month old was a biting fiend a week or so ago. I posted in the BF beyond infancy forum. Maybe some of their ideas can help: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=biting

I know your little one is a lot smaller though, and so doesn't have the ability to understand as well.

I just wanted to reply because I know how upset I was.
#3 of 12 Old 04-18-2005, 05:39 PM

i dont have much advice but i understand ds is almost 5 months and cut his 3rd tooth and loves to bite everything including me ouch i say i cant do it anymore than look at him and hes so young it really hurts my heart to feel sometimes that thats enuph so im there for your saport 110%
#4 of 12 Old 04-18-2005, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

I know! He is so young, I am not ready to stop... not really. But today I could hardly relax, I was so stressed he would bite me. Which he did 4 times so far today. :P
Maybe it will stop soon...

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#5 of 12 Old 04-18-2005, 10:58 PM

It will stop, hang in there, Mama. My dd used to bite often, and finally I started stopping the nursing session as soon as she'd bite me. I'd take her off my breast and sit her up on my lap, she didn't like it and after a minute I'd start nursing her again. She hardly ever bites anymore. It will pass, hang in there. I know the feeling of gritting your teeth, "waiting" for the little gums to clamp down. Eeek!
#6 of 12 Old 04-19-2005, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Gums?! For get gums, this boy has got some teeth! LOL 6 of them. When I nurse him the last couple of days, it is like I can't relax. I keep waiting for him to chomp down. UGH!
Is there a smilie for a bitten off nipple? LOL

H

#7 of 12 Old 04-19-2005, 04:57 AM

Six teeth... lots more to come through...

If I understand child development correctly, at 8 months old, he probably isn't yet really clear on the concept of you and him being seperate beings... I believe that awareness comes along starting at about 9/10 months. Plus, biting just plain feels good--otherwise they wouldn't do it! (I'm not talking about frustration/pre-verbal biting, which is a whole other ballgame and which I've never seen done on nursing boobs while nursing--just the teething and got-something-in-mouth-bite-down kinds). So, if he doesn't know you and he are seperate people, he can't possibly know that what feels good to him does NOT feel good to you. Therefore, he probably thinks it feels as good to you as it does to him. Remembering that saved my sanity while DD went through a (thankfully short) biting while nursing phase at about that age. And took most of the "anger" out of my reaction to the bites.

What I did do when DD was biting was: I stopped stifling my ouch reactions completely (but did have to tone them down to not scare her totally), would unlatch her and say "no biting, that hurts" and wait until she indicated she wanted to nurse again (whether it was 1 second or longer--i.e. no "mandatory post-bite waiting period") before nursing her again, and lots of "prevention", i.e. watching for the no-longer-drinking-gonna-play gleam in her eye and twitchy grin in the corner of her mouth and substituting finger for boob.

Her biting phase was short-lived, so I'm not sure if it was just a passing phase or if what I did worked, though...

Good luck and hang in there. Nothing lasts forever!
#8 of 12 Old 04-19-2005, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

I can't even sub a finger for a boob. He bites everything. If it didn't hurt so much it would be funny.
I do realize he isn't doing this to be mean or anything... it reminds me of puppy and kitten teeth, you know VERY sharp and seemingly way more painful then adult animal teeth.
He even will bite your toes if they are hanging out and he should happen to crawl by. He is crazy! LOL
I am not so much angry as stressed. I get all anxious when he wants to nurse. He doesn't even have to be in a playful mood, he just bites. UGH!

H

#9 of 12 Old 04-19-2005, 12:29 PM

Sub a finger for the boob anyway... it hurts a lot LESS when they bite a finger than when they bite a nipple, unless of course they get a tooth or two positioned exactly at the root of your fingernail, where it goes under the skin... OUCH!

Good luck! (And, I'm glad to hear it's not so much anger as stress... but *my* reaction had a definate part of anger in it and so getting rid of the anger really helped me with DD, even if it didn't reduce my stress all that much, beyond the basic less anger=less stress...)
#10 of 12 Old 04-19-2005, 01:00 PM

I've been going through the same thing in the last couple of days, except my 5 mo ds only has one tooth (thank God!). He doesn't just bite, he chomps down and scrapes the nipple with his gums as he pulls off. I've switched to cross-cradle so I can control his head somewhat, but he still catches me off guard at least once per session.

It's so hard not to get angry with him. I know he doesn't (and can't) understand that it hurts me. When he does it, I end the nursing session immediately, and then he squeals in frustration. I don't even know if he's capable of connecting the biting with losing the breast, but I don't know what else to do. I'm sure it's just teething.

Sorry for the ramble. I didn't sleep well last night, as every time I needed to nurse, I couldn't just drift off as he ate -- I laid there practically in a cold sweat waiting for him to rip off my nipple.

I'm glad to hear that it's probably temporary. It helps to know I'm not alone. I hope it helps you too.

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#11 of 12 Old 04-19-2005, 01:07 PM

I know a momma who got blood poisoning from bf her lil biter *eek!*...I think the best way to prevent bites might be to give them something cold to chew on before they nurse...might make your nipples cold, but it seems to help with my 5 mo ds (he's been teething for almost 3 mo now!) and also giving him some Gumomile seems to work too. Also, I think I would try to give dc something more appropriate to chew on if they start to bite while nursing.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#12 of 12 Old 04-19-2005, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Oh mama,
I feel for you! I have 3 boys and they each went through this stage. My mom is a IBCLC so I had a lot of advice from her and it seemed to work eventually (a few days or so)! First she told me to try to not yell, or react at all (easier said then done when there is a paranha on your breast), and then calmly take the baby off the breast. The baby usually gets upset or angry, which really sucks, but it is amazing how quickly they actually begin to get the association. Then let the baby back on, but take the baby off everytime. Also the looking for tells that he is getting ready to take a chunk out of you helps too. Ugh, my nipple hurt for you. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page