Chronic yeast, my breastmilk is poison! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2005, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, this is going to be pretty crazy sounding, but I am exclusively breastfeeding my 7.5 mo old.. my 3 yr old has serious digestive issues from what I think are chronic yeast problems in ME that I gave to her as a baby.. now I am sure my baby is having the same problems. I was doing great until my dd was 4 mos old and we went to visit family around the holidays and of course I over did it on sugar.. before then my dd was not showing signs of yeast.. now I think she is showing signs and I am *so* frustrated..

I am seriously considering switching her over to a bottle and formula. No flaming please. But I feel like my breastmilk is poisoning her. I am a constant supply of yeast to her body. By getting formula, she would not be getting yeast from me. My only other child who was fully breastfed has all of these problems, and it's all from me. This is a serious issue.. it's not something I can just ignore and hope it goes away. I am seriously avoiding sugar, but I can tell my dd is yeasty-- she has this constant daze in her eyes that my other dd had. The summer is coming, and that is when my yeast is the worst. I battled yeast for a long time when I was nursing my other dd, and I don't have the time or energy to do it again.

Please help. Am I crazy for thinking that weaning her would be the best? Am I going to regret not weaning her now, later?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2005, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
mat4mel,
I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time. I am wondering what issues you are seeing that are yeast related? Has this been confirmed by a peditrician? I know there can be underlying issues, like why is the yeast having such an effect on the baby. There is also some herbal remedies that you can drink in teas or tinctures that will not only help you, but get into your breast milk and help you baby. Have you spoken to a IBCLC? Maybe they would have some answers. You may have already tried all this stuff, but I just wanted to offer some alternatives if you haven't. It is such a hard decision to make I am routing for you and hope you will find peace in whatever decision you come too.

Old 04-19-2005, 08:01 PM

I'd be sure it's yeast first. You said it's mostly digestive. Are you sure it's not a dairy allergy or some other food allergy?

Have you tried probiotics?

I think if you and your kids have yeast, you're going to have to very aggressively treat it - completely clean up your diet, wash all your laundry in hot water, wash all toys and everything around the house that goes in their mouths, etc. Weaning to formula isn't going to fix the problem. Your baby might still get it from toys, bottles, sucking on your finger, etc and keep reinfecting.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:06 AM

Yep. I think you would be really sad if you weaned and she still had yeast. And I think of one reason why she wouldn't, if you still plan to live with her and take care of her.

None of my business. but is anything else bothering you? I hope oyu get over this rough patch soon.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:11 AM

It sounds like you have a very serious yeast infection to which avoiding sugar will not be enough. You need to go on a total candida regimen, no sugar, no refined carbs (white flour, white rice, white anything), no yeast products (bread with yeast), mushrooms, cheese, red meat, dairy etc...

Also, you need to take something to kill the yeast. Caproil, Grapefruit seed extract, etc....or you can even get a prescription from the doc for something called Nystatin I think it is.

There is a great product called "Yeast Busters" by a company called Inno-vite, I did the program for 3 months and got rid of my yeast problems, no more psoriasis, no more pimples, etc...

Formula is very expensive, rather than switching to that, spend the few hundred dollars you'd spend on that, and go to a good naturopathe to help you with the yeast issue.

Yeast causes so many problems it's important to nip it in the butt, it causes leaky gut, mal-absorption of nutrients, psoriasis, arthritis, digestive disorders, acne, and the list goes on.

For probiotics, get a live probiotic, one that you buy in the fridge section of the health food store, there's one called Bio-k that is excellent.... alot of the probiotic pills don't work.

Weaning won't help your child's yeast problems, because if she is yeasty now, she has an infection too, probably the sugar in the formula will be worse for her than the yeast in your breastmilk. Better to find a way to kill the yeast in your body and your childrens'
Old 04-20-2005, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There has to be some alternatives to weaning. Do you have access to a lactation consultant that can give you some protocols to follow or a naturopath with BF knowledge. I'd also check out what Dr. Jack Newman has to say but I can't find a link for him right now. I know he has some info about chronic yeast-
I didn't have the extent of problems you have but had chronic yeast and it was ductal too with my first 2 for almost a year each. This time around I started grapefruit seed extract and acidophilus and have not had any problems!
Check out The Yeast Connection from your library-many people swear by this book!
I so hope you find some solutions!!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:41 PM

When DD2 was an infant, I had a systemic yeast infection. My nipples were on fire, I had wounds on my legs that were weeping, it was terrible. My midwife prescribed a 10 day regimen of Diflucan and that cleaned both of us up. She gave me the oral Nyastatin for babies mouth, but she didn't need it after all. I would not wean until you have tried a few other things to cure the yeast. I am not up on all the remedies, I was pleased to take what MW prescribed and that it dealt with it so quickly.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your replies. I guess right now I am extremely stressed over my 3 yr old's problems, and I blame myself because I think the yeast problems she has came from me (I think I have been in denial about it). I don't want the baby to have the same problems. My baby has been on Baby Jarro for a long time-- I give her about 1/4 tsp a day (when I remember!).. me and the 3 yr old also take probiotics.

About seeing a naturopath-- I have seen one in my area, and had a bad experience. I am so disgusted with drs right now.

I agree that we need to focus on the yeast right now. It just seems so hard and I have no energy right now to focus on it. I just ordered some Candex and am going to start taking that, and doing the no yeast diet. I don't think the no yeast diet would be too hard (famous last words!)

I am sure weaning her is probably not the best answer. I am just so stressed right now--- actually it seems nice to think I could leave her at home with DH sometimes and get out by myself---- I don't know why, but I can't pump milk (can't get a good let down) and the baby doesn't take much solids right now.

I might htink of more later to write-- baby has a poopy diaper and it's nap time for the older girls. Thank you for letting me vent. I really needed it.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:09 AM

Just a note, when I did the full anti-candida program, caproil, psyllium powder, bentonite and Bio-k, along with the diet, it was hard for the first week, then it was amazingly easy! Once you completely get off the sugar, it's like a detox, your body just feels so much better!

User Tag List