ugh!!!!! Nursing hurts! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2005, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ugh, I'm so sick of being in pain. DS constantly holds my breast in a clamp with his teeth. He's not exactly biting, but he leaves teeth marks (especially with his top teeth) from holding onto me. IT HURTS!!!! I can't stand it. If I knew how t wean him, at this moment in the mood I'm in as DS screams while DH is trying to get him to go to sleep cuz I just couldn't stand getting bitten any longer--I would do it in a heartbeat. Luckily for him, I can't imagine weaning him; he still nurses 8-10 times a day (he's 1).

Someone once suggested he has tongue-tie issues but I forgot to talk to his ped about that. :

I keep thinking I need to go see an LC again, but I don't really have super-positive feelings about my previous LC experiences. I know LLL can offer a lot of support, but could they help with this? Is there anything I haven't already read that would help? I try unlatching him when he is doing it, but he doesn't seem to be getting the message!

BTW, I'm pretty sure it's not thrush, but just in case I treated for it a few weeks ago (including 4 days of GV): no diff. It's the teeth, and the fact that he doesn't take in enough breast so my nipples are rubbing against something. They are sore like they've been sanded. OUCH!

what should i do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 11:37 PM

I'd call up your local LLL leader. This is what they do & it's not too late to call for some help. I wish I had some pointers for you. I can understand the frustration though - nobody likes getting bitten. www.LaLecheLeague.org
Old 04-22-2005, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

I have emailed one of my LLL leaders. In the meantime, any other words of advice or support?
Old 04-22-2005, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Mama Rana-
Sounds like your little one has gotten into some bad habbits. You may actualloy have to teach him to nurse again. He's one, so he may be able to understand a lot more than he can express. Maybe try getting him to open his mouth reallybig before you let him get on. I went through this with my first son, when he started having bottom and top teeth. It sounds crazy but I held him and just kept making big open mouth faces at him. When he'd open big and wide I'd stick my breast in his mouth! It could be like a wrestling match for about a week, because the minute he would start to clamp down or slide off, I'd pop him off, put him down and walk away for a moment. Then go back and try again. it took about 3-4 days to finally sink in. Those days really were rotten. Alot of frustration on both parts, but finally the end result was worth it. Good luck!

Old 04-22-2005, 01:16 PM

I feel your pain mama! Elizabeth is 9 months and has cut 6 teeth very quickly.Add to that a runny nose nasty bug... Two bottoms then side top two, and middle top two just came thru skin. She clamps down and it HURTS!! I've found it helpful to unlatch her, by sticking my finger in, then making sure I smoosh her very close. It has helped some, and she seems to be better since the last two are completely thru the skin. HTH
Old 04-22-2005, 04:46 PM

It sounds like a lazy suck to me.

You already know that he should be taking in some of the areola and not just the nipple. The challenge is teaching him how to do it!

What you might try is getting him to open his mouth very wide when he latches on. Some toddlers will just mimic mom - try making it fun to open your mouth really wide and see if he'll play along. Then help by placing your nipple deeper into his mouth and see if you can get a better latch.

--Kari

User Tag List