Oh no, aunt flo! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 04-23-2005, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am exclusively breastfeeding my almost 6 mo. old DD. Based on what I read, I really wasn't expecting my period to return until a year or more.

A few days ago I got really bloated, had a tummy ache and the next day my period arrived. I was shocked as I wasn't expecting it. We nurse exclusively and we co-sleep, so Satori nurses every 2-3 hours all day and night.

Did I do something wrong like not nurse enough? She hasn't gained any weight for a month. Or is it normal to sometimes return no matter what at around 6 months? Is it ok for my baby not to gain anything the past month? She was 75% in weight in her 4.5 month checkup, but hasn't gained since.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-23-2005, 02:45 PM

It is average to get it back at 14 mos when bfing like you are, co-sleeping, no bottle or pacifiers.

But you can get it back anywhere from a few weeks to a few yrs PP.

For yr other question, babies' weight gain slows at this time. And babies gain in spurts. Watch for the 6 mo growth spurt, should be coming soon.

Unless yr baby hs been sick and not nursing well at all. That can slow weight gain or even cause weight loss, temporarily.
#3 of 8 Old 04-23-2005, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Daryl for your info.

I really thought I'd make it past 14 months. She doesn't take a bottle or pacifier in fact she spits the paci out if my mom tries to give one to her (while I secretly say 'way to go baby!').

Oh well, I guess it's here...

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#4 of 8 Old 04-23-2005, 04:19 PM

We had to supplement early on, but only for a few weeks. We co-sleep, nurse on demand, etc. and AF showed up for me 3.5 months pp. I've been regular since then. I'm sorry she made an appearance for you, too. You might find out that you're not regular though. This cycle was super light b/c DD is nursing like a fiend these days (comfort nursing for teething or delayed 6 month growth spurt). So nursing can make your periods lighter.
#5 of 8 Old 04-24-2005, 09:49 AM

Even with no supplementing, pacis, etc., etc., mine always returns as though I wasn't nursing at all and it is HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY. As a matter of fact, I am usually on my first period by my 6 week checkup. I quit the post-partum thing around 3 weeks and by 6 weeks things have started again like clockwork.
#6 of 8 Old 04-24-2005, 10:35 AM

You got ripped off, that's all. No fair!!!
#7 of 8 Old 04-24-2005, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With my son, in 1993, I didn't get a period until after he was weaned at 10 months. With my daughter, in 2003, I got my period 3.5 months pp, despite the fact that she was still exclusively b/f.

I don't know how old you are or if it makes a difference, but I'm wondering if this was my body's way of saying "get on with it - more babies", because I was in my mid-30s when I had my daughter.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#8 of 8 Old 04-24-2005, 10:48 PM

Yuck. What a bummer.

Mine came back while still nursing dd at about a year. She was still bfing every 2 hours day and night so I really was surprised I got it back so soon too!

At least you got a few months off though huh?

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page